By public transit
Medford is home to the final two stops on the E branch of the Green line — one at Tufts University and the other at Ball Square. The Lowell commuter rail line from North Station also has a station at West Medford. The 96 bus can take you to downtown Medford from Davis station of the Red line, and the 134 bus from Wellington station of the Orange line. From Sullivan Station the 101 and 95 do go to Medford. The 101 can also be accessed from Malden Center station.
You can take exit 31 (Route 16 exit) or exit 32 (Medford/Malden exit) from Interstate 93 to Medford. Local routes that go into Medford include Route 38 form the southeast, Route 16 from the east and west, and Route 60 from the northeast.
By public transit
The 101, 95, 94, and 134 buses all cross throughout Medford. The 100 bus mainly serves more residential areas of Medford. Bus service can be very infrequent at times, especially evenings and weekends. Medford Square and Wellington MBTA station offer the most connections between these bus routes and others.
It can be difficult to use the car to get around in the Medford city center, given the difficulties of finding parking and the one way streets. Further away from the city center, towards the residential areas of Medford, a car can be more useful.
Route 28 runs along the eastern edge of Medford, next to the Fellsway Plaza. Routes 60, 16, and 38 all travel throughout Medford.
- 1 Grandfather's House. the house mentioned in the song "Over the River and Through the Woods".
- Jingle Bells Plaque. This plaque, located on the site of Simpson Tavern, a 19th-century boarding house, commemorates the birthplace of "Jingle Bells" and claims that James Pierpont wrote the Christmas carol after watching a sleigh race.
- 2 Royall House and Slave Quarters, 15 George St, ☏ .
- 1 Middlesex Fells Reservation, 24 S Border Rd. Wrights Tower, located within Medford city limits, overlooks Medford and the city of Boston skyline. Various hiking trails.
- 2 Chevalier Theatre, 30 Forest St.
- 1 Fellsway Plaza, 630-760 Fellsway.
- 2 Meadow Glen Mall, 3850 Mystic Valley Pkwy.
- 3 The Shops at Station Landing.
- 1 Yoki Japanese Restaurant & Sushi Bar, 62 Station Landing, ☏ . Located in a new development close to the Wellington T stop on the Orange Line. Great Japanese food, with fresh sushi and clean, subdued atmosphere. $$.
- 1 [dead link] AmeriSuites, 116 Riverside Avenue, ☏ . Near Logan International Airport and only four miles from downtown Boston.
- 2 Hyatt Place Medford, 116 Riverside Avenue NE, ☏ , fax: .
|Routes through Medford|
|Manchester ← Stoneham ←||N S||→ Somerville → Boston|
|Newton ← Somerville ←||W E||→ Everett → Revere|
|Lawrence ← Stoneham ←||N S||→ Somerville → Boston|
|Waltham ← Arlington ←||W E||→ Malden → Revere|
|Wilmington ← Winchester ←||N S||→ Boston → END|