- For other places with the same name, see Nassau County (disambiguation).
Nassau County is generally divided into North Shore and South Shore. The North Shore is known for its hilly roads and rocky beaches. In comparison, the South Shore of the County is flat and contains sandy beaches. The Long Island Sound splits the North Shore of Nassau County from Connecticut while the South Shore leads to the Atlantic Ocean
- The Five Towns
- Floral Park
- Garden City
- Glen Cove
- Long Beach
- Port Washington
- Rockville Centre
- Valley Stream
- West Hempstead
Nassau County is the second largest county by square mile on Long Island (Suffolk being the largest by far). It is sandwiched between Suffolk County and Queens County. The County Seat is in Mineola. Nassau County also has several beaches, including Jones Beach and Long Beach. You can also visit the downtown areas of each village. There are typically many shops and sometimes even restaurants in those areas.
English is the main language. Hempstead, Uniondale, New Cassel, Westbury and Freeport have large Spanish-speaking populations.
Take the Long Island Rail Road, Nassau Inter County Express (formerly Long Island Bus) , or drive in via the Long Island Expressway, Northern State Parkway, Southern State Parkway, or Sunrise Highway.
Getting around is very easy by car, especially with the presence of the Long Island Expressway (commonly referred to as the LIE in the area) and several other parkways.
- Sagamore Hill. Was the home of Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th President of the United States.
- Roosevelt Field Mall, 630 Old Country Rd Garden City, NY 11530, ☎ . Ask any Long Islander and they will tell you that one of the best shopping areas in Nassau County is Roosevelt Field Mall and the numerous outlets surrounding it. The areas of Garden City, East Meadow, and Carle Place have numerous shopping centers and a smaller mall, 'The Source Mall'.
- Jones Beach State Park, 0. 6.5 miles/10.5km of white sand beach along the Atlantic Ocean, and another beach along calm Zachs Bay.
- Long Beach Boardwalk.
- Freeport Water Taxi. Summers, the water taxi connecting Freeport's Nautical Mile to Point Lookout is worth doing just for the ride. $20 adult fare, $10 for kids under 10, bar on board. They also operate a sunset cruise.
The Nautical Mile along Woodcleft Avenue in Freeport features several dozen bars and restaurants.
All American Hamburger Drive-In in Massapequa is a vintage, 1950's-style burger joint.
- Five Guys Burgers & Fries, 3497 Hempstead Tpke, Levittown, NY 11756, ☎ . Great burgers, fries and sandwiches. Also located in Long Beach.
- Spasso's Pizzeria, 1159 Wantagh Ave, North Wantagh, NY 11793, ☎ . 11:00-10:00, Open 7 Days/week. Considered the best pizza in Wantagh, Spasso's has over 15 different "specialty" pizzas and great authentic Italian food.
- My Hero, 1005 Jerusalem Ave, North Merrick, NY 11566, ☎ . Some would argue that they have the best sandwiches and heroes on Long Island, My Hero has been here for years and is extremely popular. It is advised to call ahead as there is always a line.
Nassau County is in general a safe place to visit. As anywhere, just use basic common sense; this is the average suburban county. Crimes, if any, usually occur in Hempstead, Freeport, Roosevelt, Uniondale, New Cassel/Westbury and Elmont. The Island Trees/Plainedge area of Levittown has seen an increase in crime lately, as well as the western part of Hicksville south of Cantiague Park. Gang violence is rampant in New Cassel, Hempstead, Uniondale, Roosevelt and Freeport. The only safe areas of Hempstead are west of Cathedral Ave, north of Hempstead Tpke and east of Westbury Rd, north of Hempstead Tpke. Uniondale and Roosevelt are safe in the daylight, but be extra careful at night. New Cassel is relatively safe during the day but very dangerous at night. Freeport south of Sunrise Hwy is very safe.