- For other places with the same name, see Nassau County (disambiguation).
- North Shore. Often called the "Gold Coast" for its proliferation of early twentieth-century mansions, the North Shore is known for its hilly roads and rocky beaches.
- Nassau Hub. This region near the center of the county is a busy shopping district with multiple points of interest. It occupies the site of two historic former airfields: Roosevelt Field and Mitchel Field.
- South Shore. The South Shore of the County is flat and is known for its sandy ocean beaches.
Long Island Sound separates the North Shore of Nassau County from Connecticut, while the South Shore borders the Atlantic Ocean
Cities and towns
Nassau County is divided into three towns and two cities:
- North Hempstead, on the western portion of the North Shore, contains the "West Egg" and "East Egg" of Great Gatsby fame. Being that it borders Queens, it has a fair amount of development as well.
- Glen Cove, a small city in the middle of Nassau County's North Shore, contains a lively downtown as well as several historic mansions.
- Oyster Bay is the easternmost portion of Nassau County. Its northern portion is centered around the hamlet of Oyster Bay on its eponymous harbor, and is again the site of many historic buildings. South Oyster Bay is more densely developed, but has many shopping districts and points of interest.
- Long Beach, Nassau County's other city, is prime beach territory right on the Atlantic Ocean.
- Hempstead is the nation's most populous civil township, and the second most populous municipality in New York. It is the site of Freeport's Nautical Mile, the "original suburb" of Levittown, and the famous Jones Beach. The Garden City area is known as the "Nassau Hub" due to its central location and concentration of shopping, athletic, and cultural activities.
Nassau County is the second largest county by square mile on Long Island (Suffolk being the largest by far). It is sandwiched between Suffolk County and Queens County. The County Seat is in Mineola. Nassau County also has several beaches, including Jones Beach and Long Beach. You can also visit the downtown areas of each village. There are typically many shops and sometimes even restaurants in those areas.
English is the main language. Hempstead, Uniondale, New Cassel, Westbury and Freeport have large Spanish-speaking populations.
Take the Long Island Rail Road, Nassau Inter County Express (formerly Long Island Bus) , or drive in via the Long Island Expressway, Northern State Parkway, Southern State Parkway, or Sunrise Highway.
Getting around is very easy by car, especially with the presence of the Long Island Expressway (commonly referred to as the LIE in the area) and several other parkways.
- Freeport Water Taxi. Summers, the water taxi connecting Freeport's Nautical Mile to Point Lookout is worth doing just for the ride. $20 adult fare, $10 for kids under 10, bar on board. They also operate a sunset cruise.
The Nautical Mile along Woodcleft Avenue in Freeport features several dozen bars and restaurants.
All American Hamburger Drive-In in Massapequa is a vintage, 1950's-style burger joint.
- Five Guys Burgers & Fries, 3497 Hempstead Tpke, Levittown, NY 11756, ☎ . Great burgers, fries and sandwiches. Also located in Long Beach.
- Spasso's Pizzeria, 1159 Wantagh Ave, North Wantagh, NY 11793, ☎ . 11:00-10:00, Open 7 Days/week. Considered the best pizza in Wantagh, Spasso's has over 15 different "specialty" pizzas and great authentic Italian food.
- My Hero, 1005 Jerusalem Ave, North Merrick, NY 11566, ☎ . Some would argue that they have the best sandwiches and heroes on Long Island, My Hero has been here for years and is extremely popular. It is advised to call ahead as there is always a line.
Nassau County is in general a safe place to visit. As anywhere, just use basic common sense; this is the average suburban county. Crimes, if any, usually occur in Hempstead, Freeport, Roosevelt, Uniondale, New Cassel/Westbury and Elmont. The Island Trees/Plainedge area of Levittown has seen an increase in crime lately, as well as the western part of Hicksville south of Cantiague Park. Gang violence is rampant in New Cassel, Hempstead, Uniondale, Roosevelt and Freeport. The only safe areas of Hempstead are west of Cathedral Ave, north of Hempstead Tpke and east of Westbury Rd, north of Hempstead Tpke. Uniondale and Roosevelt are safe in the daylight, but be extra careful at night. New Cassel is relatively safe during the day but very dangerous at night. Freeport south of Sunrise Hwy is very safe.