Pangyo (판교) is in Gyeonggi, administratively part of the city of Seongnam (South of Namhansanseong), just south of Seoul. Pangyo refers to a planned city surrounding Pangyo-dong, Baekhyeon-dong, Unjung-dong, and Sampyeong-dong of Bundang-gu and Siheung-dong and Sasong-dong of Sujeong-gu (Seongnam city). Since 2010, Pangyo became a synonym of high-tech district, namely, "Silicon Valley of Korea." Its high concentration of IT and BT companies lured high income class in Korea, turning Pangyo into an emerging innovative and wealthy district of Korea.
The area is surrounded by Mt. Cheonggyesan (Mount Blue Stream, 618m) and Geumtosan (Mount Gold Soil) to the north, and Mt. Barasan to the south, with Unjungcheon and Geumtocheon, tributaries of Tancheon, flowing through the center of the city.
The etymological origin of Pangyo derives from a Chinese character "Pan (wide wooden piece)" and "Gyo (bridge)". Pangyo was a wooden bridge located at Unjungcheon (Stream Unjung). Unjung derives from the Chinese character "Un (cloud)" and "Jung (In midst)". Based on Feng-Shui Theory, of all the districts (-dong) in Pangyo, Unjung stands out, having a mountain at the back and a stream in front. During spring and fall, when diurnal temperature shift is severe, there is much fog in Unjungdong.
Gyeongbu Expressway (No. 1 Expressway) separates the town into two regions. The region west of Gyeongbu Expressway is refer to as Seo-Pangyo (meaning, West Pangyo) and the region east of Gyeongbu Expressway is refer to as Dong-Pangyo (meaning, East Pangyo).
West Pangyo is particularly popular among Koreans due to its large amount of detached housing. More than 1,500 lots were developed for sale in West Pangyo alone. Each lot size is approximately 2,520 sf (70 pyung). High income families, hiring famous architects, built houses and moved in. Of the many famous architects, Jaeha Lee, Joongwon Lee & Kyung-A Lee, Sungwook Cho, Jaeheon Jung, Seunghoi Kim particularly designed many houses in West Pangyo.
East Pangyo is famous for its IT and BT related companies. Pangyo Techno Valley is a R&D complex focusing on IT, BT, CT and Fusion Technology. Due to its success in many emerging start-up companies, President Park's regime announced in Jan, 2015 to expand Pangyo Techno Valley into second phase, referring it as "Pangyo Creative Economy Valley ". The new site will be located at north of No. 100 Expressway.
Pangyo was approved for development in 2001 to alleviate the excessive demand for apartments in Gangnam and central Bundang. The town was developed into an eco-friendly city with the lowest population density among newly developed cities. Pangyo was designed with large green spaces and parks along its streams. Waste facilities, energy plants, and sewage treatment facilities in the community were built to maximize energy efficiency with the use of green technology.
World class medical centers with the latest technologies such as Seoul National University Hospital, Samsung Medical Center, and Hyundai Asan Medical Center are located near Pangyo.
Construction of the town began in December 2003, and phase 1 and phase 2 was completed on December 2009 and December 2010, respectively. However, construction projects such as Pangyo Techno Valley and the Alpha Dome city are still in progress.
Gyeongbu Expressway, Seoul Ring Expressway, and Yongin-Seoul Expressway pass through Pangyo. These three expressways are accessible through Pangyo IC (Gyeongbu Expressway) and Seopangyo IC (Yongin-Seoul Expressway), and Gyeongbu Expressway and Seoul Ring Expressway intersect at Pangyo JCT, located nearby. Bundang-Naegok City Expressway and Bundang-Suseo City Expressway, which connect the sururbs Bundang and Yongin to Southern Seoul, pass through Dongpangyo.
Pangyo Station of Shinbundang Line opened service to public on October 28, 2011.
- From Gangnam Station [Seoul]: 20min
- From Suwon Station [Suwon]: 1h 20 min
Shinbudang Line is served by the following six subway stations, listed from the closest to Seoul: Gangnam, Yangjae, Yangjae Citizen's Forest, Cheonggye san, Pangyo, Jeongja
- 1 Pangyo Station
There are a lot of city express bus. You can use every bus station in Pangyo.
From Incheon International Airport
- 5000 express bus 90min
- From Seoul Station: Red bus 1005-1, 1150, 1550, 5500, 550-1, 5500-2, 8100, 9000, 9001, 9003, 9401
- From Sadang Station : Red bus 1500-2, 1550-3,
- From Gangnam station : Red bus 1241, 1151, 1005, 1550, 1570, 8101, 9004, 9404
- From Jamsil : Red bus 500-1, 500-2,1007, 1007-1, 5600, 1117, 9005,
- From Geondae entrance Station: Red bus 1002
- From Anyang : Red bus 1303, 333, 3330
- From Gunpo : Red bus 3500
- From Bucheon : Red bus 8106
- From Ilsan : 8109
By City Tour Bus
CIty Tour Bus operates 09:00 to 17:00 every Saturday in July to November but it is flexible participate in over 15 people. You must have a reservation through telephone or homepage. The telephone number is 070-7813-5000. The bus boarding place is located at the City Hall of Seoul Station, Kyodae Station and The City Hall of Seongnam. You can look around whole of seongnam. Especially Pangyo, there are Museum of pangyo, IQiquarium ect. For more information, visit the website - Seongnam City Tour Bus
You can take a taxi at taxi stand. Basic fare of regular taxi is around \3,000. The taxi stand is located near bus station.
When you move to another place where is hard to access, you can call a taxi. Basic fare of call taxi is around \3,500.
- Seongnam Call Taxi, ☏ .
- Purun Call Taxi, ☏ .
- Bundang Call Taxi, ☏ .
- 1 Museum of Pangyo, 191, pangyoro, bundang-gu, ☏ . 9AM-6PM. A large number of historical relics of Pangyo and Korean culture are displayed in the buildings of the museum. Pangyo Museum shows the history of Seongnam as a museum possessing nine Hanseong Baekje remains that prove the Northeast Asian interchange of Three Kingdoms Period as the concentration area of Hanseong Baekje chamber tombs 1,600 years ago, and two chamber tombs that prove the southward migration of Goguryeo. free.
- 2 [dead link] Pangyo Eco Center, 21,645Daewangpangyoro, Bundang-gu, ☏ . 10AM-5PM. You can learn about the ecology of Pangyo. Pangyo Eco Center is a place to aid in children's understanding of the environment and nature and to teach children the importance of preserving the ecosystem. Free.
- 3 Park. Hwarang. Park. Hwarang is places where superb natural wonders are protected and bequeathed to future generations so that they too may be likewise inspired.
- 4 Pangyo Clean Tower, ☏ . 9AM-6PM. It is 58m Observation platform on Pangyo. Visitors can enjoy the beautiful view of the pangyo technovalley from the top of the clean tower.
- 5 [dead link] Pangyo IQarium, 660 Daewangpangyoro, Bundang-gu, ☏ . 10AM-6PM. Pangyo Digital IQuarium is a digital aquarium based on a new concept and it is located close to Exit 1, Pangyo Station, Subway Sinbundang Line. The iQarium is well known as ‘an aquarium without water’ and ‘an aquarium with a dugong’ and it has been selected as one of Top 10 Experiences of 2013 by Gyeonggi Tourism Organization giving it a high reputation. 16,000₩.
- 1 Sports Center of pangyo, ☏ . 6AM-10PM. swimming pool, gym, class for aerobic
- 2 Library of Pangyo, 37 ,225 Unjungro, Bundang-gu, ☏ . 9AM-10PM. Public librarie. There are handy for finding information. free.
- 3 Children's Libraries of Pangyo, 75, Pangyoyeokro, Bundang-gu, ☏ . 9AM-6PM (winter), 9AM-8PM (summer). Children's Library encourages children to develop a reading habit early in their childhood.
- 4 Hyundae Child's Book Art Museum, 20,146 Pangyoyeokro, Bundang-gu, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10AM-7PM. Korea's first Book Themed Child's Art Museum. 6000₩.
- 5 CGV Pangyo, 20, 146 Pangyoyeokro, Bungdang-gu, ☏ . CGV Pangyo is a not only theater, but also Complex Cultural Facility.
- 1 Hyundae Department Store of Pangyo, ☏ . 10:30AM-8:00PM. You can meet South Korea's first various world class restaurant.
- 2 Avenue France of Pangyo, 740, Sampyungdong, Bundang-gu, ☏ . 10AM-10PM.
- 3 Lotte Mart of Pangyo, 741, Sampyeongdong, Bundang-gu, ☏ . 10AM-11PM.
- 4 AK Plaza of Bundang, 263, Seohyun-dong, Bungang-gu, ☏ . 10AM-8PM.
- 5 Lotte Department Store of Bundang, 14, Sunae-dong, Bungdang-gu, ☏ . 10AM-8PM.
- 1 Saint Augustin, 2F AK Wise Place 16-1 Jeongja-dong, Bundang-gu, ☏ . 11AM-10PM. Thai and Asian fusion food which combines elements of different culinary traditions, brings to you the delicious taste of a Thai and Asian fusion cuisine. Pasta 18,000₩~ , Steak 50,000₩~.
- 2 [dead link] Namabi Bistro, The Shop Starpark, 174-1Jeongja-dong, Bundang, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 11:30AM-10PM. American style fusion Japanese restaurant. Sushi 10,000₩~ Bento 15,000₩~.
- Loving Hut, 13 Seohyeon-ro 429beon-gil, Bundang-gu,, ☏ . Vegan restaurant chain. Menu includes soy cutlets, rice, stew, sandwiches, soy steak, noodles and a variety of side dishes.
- 3 Blooming Garden, 150 Bundang naegok-ro, Bundang-gu, ☏ . 11:30AM-10PM. An Italian restaurant created by Korean restaurant Samwon Garden. This popular bistro & wine offers contemporary Italian cuisine. Multiple locations in Seoul Pasta 12,000₩~ Pizza 13,000₩~.
- 4 Mad for Garlic, 22 Bundang-ro 53bean-gil, Bundang-gu,, ☏ . 11:30AM-10PM. Italian wine bistro. Pizzas, pastas, seafood, and steak entrees. Great place for food and wine lovers. 17 locations nationwide Pasta 23,000₩~ , Steak 60,000₩~.
- 5 Jinjinbansang, 1A, 670, Sampyeong-dong, ☏ . 11:30AM -10PM. Famous for traditional Korean food. per person 25,000₩.
Pangyo Cafe street is more like a neighborhood and is a beautiful are. It is the newest of the three cafe areas in Bundang. This is by far the best of the three and is becoming more and more popular.
- 1 Cafe de Matinee, 2F AK Plaza 263 Seohyeon-dong, Bundang-gu, ☏ . 10AM-10PM. Selections of coffee, tea, drinks, freddos, desserts and pastries
- 2 Coffea Coffee, 1F, 680 Sampyeong-dong, Bundang-gu, ☏ . 8AM - 8PM.
- 3 Coffee Radio, 221 ,1B, 660 Daewangpangyo-ro, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 8AM-9PM.
- 4 Mommoth Coffee, 2, 670, Sampyeong-dong, ☏ . 8AM-9PM. If you want to eat XXXL size coffee like mommoth, go to Mommoth.
- 5 Byeol, Cong, An, Tom, 670, Daewangpangyo-ro, Bundang-gu, ☏ . 8AM-9PM.
- 1 Courtyard by Mariott Pangyo, 192, Pangyoyeok-ro,Bundang-gu, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. weekday \200,000 ~ weekend \ 250,000~.
- 2 Hotel Noblesse, 260-5, SeoHyeong-dong, Bundang-gu, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Clean and cozy place to stay. Host was very helpful and accommodating. Definitely recommend this place if you have a chance to travel near Seoul/Bundang.
- Yongin — Yongin is the location of large scale amusement parks and resorts (including Korea's largest, Everland), the Korean Folk Village and a ski resort.
- Gwacheon — It lies close to Seoul in the heart of the Seoul National Capital Area, and also lies just east of Anyang.
- Seoul — The capital and largest metropolis of South Korea.