Talk:Great Barrier Island
Wouldn't that make it 5th largest, after the South Island, North Island, Stewart Island and Chatham Island? Or is it that Chatham Island is not part of the "main New Zealand archipelago"? I suppose that's it, as it's "outlying", but the point could be made more clearly:
"Chatham Island is also bigger, at 900 km2, but it is not part of the main New Zealand archipelago."
Anyone object to my proposed edit?
- Or, a little more concise, "It is also smaller than the 900-km2 Chatham Island, which is outside the main archipelago." Nurg (talk) 02:27, 14 February 2021 (UTC)
I think we can do better than the current banner:
Here is a proposal for a new banner:
- Banner 3 Represents the area better overall. SHB2000 (talk) 04:59, 28 March 2021 (UTC)
- I haven't minded the current banner, which is nicely beachy, though I suppose it is also generically beachy. I'm not sure the new one is much better. However, this has spurred me to upload a new image and to crop it, and I offer Banner 3 for consideration. Apart from its aesthetic qualities, it has the advantage of being a view from the "central business district" of Tryphena, the island's largest town, and is a sight that many visitors will see for themselves when they are on the island. Nurg (talk) 09:31, 28 March 2021 (UTC)
- Banner 3 I created the present banner a few years ago. At the time there wasn't much choice on Commons. Banner 2 is a little too small at 1600 pixels wide. I think banner 3 captures the island better, as Great Barrier is not just beaches. I remember the view from spending Christmas 2001 on Great Barrier. AlasdairW (talk) 21:52, 28 March 2021 (UTC)
- If banner 3 works for people who have been there, that's good enough for me. Ground Zero (talk) 22:01, 28 March 2021 (UTC)