Why does London go straight to London and New York goes to this? Can´t New York state be linked to at the top of the New York page? Similarly, I think far more people are interested in Buenos Aires the city rather than Buenos Aires province. Are they simply not as major as London? London Ontario is pretty cool too . . . —The preceding comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk • contribs)
- Take a look at Project:Disambiguation pages which should explain our thinking on places with the same name... these things usually involved a lot of debating, so feel free to disagree and argue for a change! I think the general consensus on New York city/state was that it was more vague to international travellers than the London/London issue (for example, I had no idea there was another London until I moved to Montreal!) Try to keep in mind that it's not a coolness factor, or even size, but trying to imagine all the different travellers coming from all over the world (see the Hyderabad discussion for another example-- how many people from London Ont. spend much time thinking about Hyderabad Pakistan ;-)). Hope this helps.
- See also Talk:New York (city) (WT-en) Majnoona 14:51, 10 Apr 2005 (EDT)
- We direct Mexico to the country, not to Mexico state or Mexico City. Same with Quebec vs. Quebec City and Kansas vs. Kansas City (although the latter is partially in Missouri). If the rest of these "New York" entities are part of New York State, the larger geographic entity should be the main listing. K7L (talk) 14:20, 26 September 2017 (UTC)
- In colloquial language (which would be reflected in likely search terms), unqualified "New York" means the city far more often than the state. The status quo is the best solution, but if New York absolutely can't be a disambiguation page, then it should be for the city. -- AndreCarrotflower (talk) 14:35, 26 September 2017 (UTC)
- I agree with AndreCarrotflower. There are other examples where a city and a larger region share a name but the region is not the main article, such as Rio de Janeiro (part of Rio de Janeiro (state)) and Valencia (part of both Valencia (province) and Valencia (region)). Off the top of my head I don't know of any other examples where the main title is a disambiguation page, but I think it's probably the best solution for New York. —Granger (talk · contribs) 14:48, 26 September 2017 (UTC)