The Uppsala countryside is the part of Uppsala municipality, Uppsala kommun, outside metropolitan Uppsala itself. Some 60,000 people live in Uppsala's suburbs and surrounding villages.
North and west
The plain around Uppsala is among Sweden's most fertile farmlands. Today, most villages are effectively suburbs of Uppsala.
- UL, Uppsala County's transport company, operates bus lines to most settlements. Upptåget is a local train, which calls at Uppsala, Storvreta, Vattholma, and Skyttorp.
Uppsala is famous for its good bicycle infrastructure, and most suburbs are within cycling distance.
While the UL buses are reliable, driving is usually the most practical way to get around the countryside (see driving in Sweden).
The Uppsala countryside is dotted by runestones and other archaeological sites from the Viking Age. Most are small, and not always easy to find.
- 1 Bennebol. One of the many industrial heritages in Uppsala's countryside.
- 2 Järsta gård (Brogården, Uppsala countryside). In the Madicken films, this house was a stand-in for Junibacken. See also Astrid Lindgren tourism.
- 3 Linnaeus's Hammarby. May & Sep F-Su 11-17, Jun-Aug Tu-Su 11-17. Is a botanical garden, once run by Carl von Linné, founder of taxonomic biology. Today it is used as a museum for 18th century biology and farming. Guided tours in English at 12.30. 80SEK.
- 4 Linnaeus's Sävja, Carl von Linnés väg 3 (Next to Sävja church), ☏ . Another farm which was owned by Linné. While Hammarby was used for work and social relations Sävja was his refuge. Today the main building is a personal museum with a summer open café.
- 5 Stones of Mora (Mora Stenar), Östunavägen. Was the place where Swedish kings were elected from the 13th to the 15th centuries, comparable to the more known Scottish "Stone of Scone". The stones can be seen in a small building located along Östunavägen. If you use a GPS to find the location, make sure that you don't confuse it with the nearby rest area with the same name on the parallel road E4.
- 6 Ulva Kvarn. Canoe up Fyrisån 7 km to Ulva Kvarn where you find a café and some small handicraft shops. Canoes can be rented at the Fyrishov camping.
- 7 Modelljärnvägens hus (House of Model Railways) (Söderby). A model railway museum.
Around Uppsala there are several public recreational areas. 1 Fjällnora (follow road 282 17 kilometers eastward, then take a right towards "Fjällbo" and follow this road for another 3 kilometers) is a recreation area with two beaches in lakes Trehörningen and Ramsen. Beside bathing one can also fish, go kajaking or bike or hike on the nearby trails. In winter it is possible to go skiing in the trails or skating on the lakes. For 600SEK one can try the "Adventure course [formerly dead link]", a web of ropeways, nets and suspension bridges among the treetops. Other public bathing areas are 2 Lyssnaängen in Lake Mälaren 10 kilometers south of Uppsala and 3 Storvad in Fyris River north of Old Uppsala.
- 4 Söderby Golf.
- 5 Upsala Golfklubb.
- The Linnaeus Trails (Linnéstigarna/Herbationes Upsalienses). Eight different hikes which were created by Carl Linnaeus as biological excursions for his students. They are a great way to experience the nature surrounding Uppsala. The trails measure from 6 (3.6 miles) to 20 kilometers (12.4 miles) one way, and are marked up by blue signposts. Seven of the hikes starts at the old city entrances, in today's city center, while the last one starts in the village of Jumkil. Four of the trails include treasure hunts. In order to join the treasure hunt you need a GPS and a folder, both of which can be collected at Biotopia (Vasagatan 4 in Uppsala).
- 6 Uppsala Aviation Society (Uppsala flygklubb), Sundbro 425 (Uppsala-Sundbro airport), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Offer glider flying across Uppsala County. Experience Uppsala from a height of 1000 meters and try to operate the glider yourself! 1850SEK for a pre-booked 1000m flight. 700SEK for a 500m flight.
While the countryside hotels have occasional nightlife events, the action is in Uppsala itself.
- 1 Wiks slott.
- 2 Eurest Viktoria.
- 3 Gamla Gränome.
- 4 Odalgården, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 5 Fyrväpplingen Fiskecamp, Fyrväpplingen 12 (Knutby), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14.00, check-out: 12.00. A camping area located near four different lakes, with a lot of opportunities for fishing, swimming and foraging. A service house on the site offer WC, showers and facilities for dish-washing. If you sleep in the cabins you are required to bring your own bedclothes or sleeping bag. In 2018 it was named one of the best campsites in Europe by the Guardian. A capming lot is 100 kr, cabins range from 600 to 2000 kr for the first night and an 400 to 1500 kr for additional nights.