West Richland is in Columbia River Plateau.
Carl Heminger purchased some 80 acres (320,000 m2) in 1948, and laid out plans for a city. It was proposed that it be named Heminger City (presumably after himself), but in 1949 the townspeople chose the name Enterprise instead. Heminger moved a mile down the road in protest, and platted a small community there called Heminger City. This was eventually incorporated in the West Richland City limits. When the time came in 1955 to incorporate the town, it was decided to rename to West Richland, taking advantage of the already well-known status of nearby Richland.
West Richland was officially incorporated on June 17, 1955, combining the two towns of Heminger City and Enterprise.