- Rockhampton - the commercial centre of the region. Promotes itself as the "beef capital of Australia".
- Rainbow Beach - picturesque coastal town hosting some of Queensland's best activities.
- Mackay - the 'sugar capital' is full of Australian history and boasts a beautiful tropical botanic gardens.
- Charters Towers - this town on the frontier between coast and country has a colourful history in gold mining and agriculture.
- Town of 1770 - this town on the frontier between coast and country has a colourful history in gold mining and agriculture.
- Gladstone - this port town allows visitors to experience hundreds of years of industrial history through museums and tours. The nearby resort of Agnes Water contains the most northerly surfing beach on Australia's east coast.
- Whitsunday Islands - 74 perfect islands off the coast of tourist haven Airlie Beach, with white-sand beaches and clear turquoise water all around.
- Fraser Island - the world's largest sand island.
- Great Keppel Island - holiday playground for thousands of Australians for years.
- Southern Reef Islands including resorts on Heron Island and Wilson Island - paradise for lovers of scuba diving, snorkeling and bird-watching.
Central Queensland is served with flights from most major centres in Australia through its coastal airports. Cairns and Gold Coast airports also serve some international destinations.
- Whales, at Hervey Bay, the local centre for watching these majestic creatures.
- The 'singing ship' memorial to Captain James Cook at Yeppoon.
- Amazing views and ancient bunya pines at Bunya Mountains National Park.
- The cores of extinct volcanoes at the Glass House Mountains National Park, in the southernmost tip of Central Queensland.
- Fossick for gems near the appropriately-named towns of Emerald, Rubyvale and Sapphire.
- Explore the trails of the pristine Carnarvon National Park.
- Take a railway tour at the former gold-mining town of Mount Morgan.
- Prospect for gold at the Prophet Gold Mine in Kilkivan.
- Amazing pies at Joccheim's Bakery in Bowen, in the footsteps of Australia actors Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman.
- Bundaberg rum in Bundaberg.
- Whatever the locals are drinking at the pub in Gin Gin, 45 minutes out of Bundaberg.
- Watch out for snakes when venturing into Central Queensland's pristine nature.