Gambling with high (or even moderate) stakes is outlawed in many parts of the world. Some places that allow such gambling draw travellers from far away.
The splendour of the casinos' architecture should remind you the direction of the cashflow; the house wins in the long run. Set a budget for how much you can lose; when you have spent that amount, go on with your itinerary.
At the casino
|“||Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing for something.||”|
Casinos typically make many efforts to maximize time and money spent by guests. Windows and clocks are usually absent, and exits can be hard to find.
They usually have special food, drink and entertainment offers, to keep guests in a good mood, and keep them at the premise. Some venues offer alcoholic beverages on the house. However, drunkenness impairs judgement, and all good gamblers know the importance of staying sober.
A typical offer gives a discount, or free service, for a guest who buys chips, with some waiting time. A disciplined traveller can take advantage of these offers.
- 2 Goa, India — the only place in the country where gambling is legal
- 3 Hong Kong — the only legal gambling is on horse racing
- 4 Macau — now the world's highest-volume gambling venue
- Singapore — has horse racing, lotteries and football (soccer) betting, as well as two casinos.
The Crown Casino in Melbourne is Australia's largest and most popular, although casinos can also be found in Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Cairns, the Gold Coast, Darwin, Hobart, Launceston, Townsville and Alice Springs.
In addition, horse racing and greyhound racing can also be found in all of Australia's major cities.
- Baltic Sea ferries
- London, England
- Baden-Baden, Germany
- Northern Cyprus
- Sweden: Casinos in Stockholm, Gothenburg, Malmö, Sundsvall, as well as tables and machines at nightclubs around the country, and several horse-race tracks
- Most cities in the Balkans
- Norway: Gambling is strictly regulated and mostly boils down to lotteries and sports (including horse race) betting. Gambling online on foreign sites is illegal.
- Foxwoods, Connecticut
- Mohegan Sun, Connecticut
- Shreveport, Louisiana
- Biloxi, Mississippi
- 5 Las Vegas One of the biggest gambling hubs in the world.
- Reno, Nevada
- Niagara Falls, New York
- Atlantic City, New Jersey
- Deadwood, South Dakota
- Council Bluffs, Iowa
Due to their special status many Native American Nations may legally run casinos in states where they are otherwise prohibited.
|“||Play poker with old friends and new cards, not the other way around.||”|
As gamblers bring much money to town, gambling venues attract scams and other dubious businesses. Some unauthorized games might be scams themselves; stick to casinos, and other well-reputed venues. Even legal gambling is sometimes associated with organized crime. Normal gamblers who pay their stakes upfront won't usually be affected by that, however.