Jump to navigation Jump to search
Clwyd is a preserved county situated in the eastern part of North Wales. It consists of the unitary authorities Wrexham, Flintshire, Denbighshire, and historically part of Conwy.
- 1 Chirk (Welsh: Y Waun) – castle and aqueduct
- 2 Corwen – local associations with Owain Glyndŵr and Caer Drewyn Iron Age hillfort
- 3 Deeside (Glannau Dyfrdwy) – including Connah's Quay, Ewloe, Shotton and Queensferry start of the Wales Coast Path.
- 4 Denbigh (Dinbych) – picturesque historic market town
- 5 Flint (Y Fflint) – site of Edward I's first castle in Wales, from where he commenced his conquest.
- 6 Holt – 14th-century bridge across the border to England
- 7 Holywell (Treffynnon) – St Winefride's Well. pilgrimage site since the 7th century
- 8 Llangollen – Steam railway, Roman bridge, historic canal, the beautiful Dee Valley, and UNESCO-listed Pontcysyllte Aqueduct in the nearby village of Trevor.
- 9 Mold (Yr Wyddgrug) – see a play at Clwyd Theatr Cymru
- 10 Prestatyn – coastal resort and beach and starting point for a number of hiking trails
- 11 Rhyl (Y Rhyl) – seaside resort
- 12 Rhuddlan – 13th century castle
- 13 Ruthin (Rhuthun) – historic town with fine example of black and white timber framed buildings
- 14 St Asaph (Llanelwy) – one of Britain's smallest cities and the smallest Anglican cathedral in Great Britain.
- 15 Wrexham (Wrecsam) – large town for the region.
- 1 Clwydian Range and Dee Valley AONB (Bryniau Clwyd a Dyffryn Dyfrdwy) – A range of mountains and an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
A55 North Wales Expressway between Chester and Bangor is the main route into the north of the region, while from the south the A5 to Chirk from Shrewsbury. In the east the A483 connects Wrexham to Chester in the north and to Chirk in the south were in connects with the A5.
Arriva Wales has services from Chester to Mold.
- 1 North Wales Coast Line. Connections from Crewe and Holyhead to Rhyl, Prestatyn, Flint, Queensferry
- Borderlands Line. From the Wirral to Wrexham
- Shrewsbury–Chester line. Between Chester and Shrewsbury via Wrexham, Ruabon and Chirk.