Download GPX file for this article

From Wikivoyage
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Traffic on Romney Road in Greenwich

As the homeland of well-known luxury car brands like Rolls Royce and Bentley, driving is unsurprisingly a fairly popular way of getting around the United Kingdom. While major cities like London are a nightmare to drive in and best explored using public transport, many small towns and scenic rural areas are best explored by car.



Differing from Continental Europe, the United Kingdom drives on the left, and all cars rented or sold in the UK are right-hand drive. Most cars in the UK are manual ("stick-shift") transmission, and car rental companies will allocate you a manual transmission car unless you specifically ask for an automatic when you make a reservation. Renting an automatic car will invariably cost more than renting a manual car of the same model.

Units of measure on British roads (Also see here)
Imperial Metric
1 mile 1.6 km
30 mph 50 km/h
100 yards 91 metres

A car will get you pretty much anywhere in the UK. Parking is a problem in large cities, and especially in London, can be very expensive. Petrol (gasoline) is heavily taxed and therefore expensive - though more or less in the same range as continental Europe as of March 2019 about £1.20 per litre. The cheapest fuel is usually available at supermarkets. Branches of Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons and Asda tend to have fuel stations in their car parks, which are often cheaper than the big name fuel stations like Esso/Exxon, Shell and BP.

The United Kingdom continues to use some imperial measurements for road signage. As a result all distances are displayed in miles (or yards for short distances), whilst speeds are given in miles-per-hour (mph). All other European countries use the metric system, so be aware of the required conversions when travelling from elsewhere.

Despite this use of the imperial system, almost all height and width warning signs display both metric and imperial units. All weights are given in tonnes and English (but not Welsh, Scottish or N. Irish) motorways have locator indicators in kilometres at intervals of 500 m.

Tolls and charges


Nearly all roads in the UK are toll-free, the exceptions being some major bridges/tunnels (such as the Dartford crossing), and the M6 Toll motorway in the Midlands. With the exception of the Dartford Crossing and Mersey Gateway Bridges, all have toll collection booths.

There are a few scenarios where the number-plates of vehicles entering and/or leaving a toll zone are recorded on video cameras. Drivers are required to pay the appropriate fee at an appropriate outlet (often a corner shop) within 24 hours otherwise they will receive a Penalty Charge Notice. These areas and charges (as of 13 February 2022) include:

  • The Dartford Tunnel and Bridge: Cars and motorhomes - £2.50
  • Central London Congestion Charge Area - £15
  • City of Durham Congestion Zone - £2
  • Mersey Gateway Bridges, Cheshire - £2

London has a an Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) - with a fee payable for non-qualifying vehicles that enter the specified area which was extended on 29 August 2023 to cover the whole Greater London region.

A number of other cities including Aberdeen, Bath, Birmingham, Brighton, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Norwich, Oxford, and Portsmouth also have low emission zones from which certain polluting vehicles are banned and/or must pay a charge to enter such zones. Some of these only apply to larger polluting vehicles (e.g. buses and lorries), so check with relevant authorities.

There is no consistent method of paying toll and zone charges, so check the official website for those relevant to you.

Some airports (such as Heathrow and Gatwick) impose a charge on vehicle entering their locales, even if you are only dropping off or collecting fellow travellers.


Evening rush hour on the infamous M25

Traffic can be very heavy, especially during 'rush hour', when commuters are on their way to and from work - typically 07:00-10:00 and 16:00-19:00. School holidays can make a noticeable reduction in traffic, however, particularly in the morning rush hour.

The M25 London orbital motorway is notorious (known to most Londoners as London's car park because all the traffic comes to a standstill) - it is best avoided on Monday mornings and Friday afternoons; use it only if you need to, and take local advice if you plan to drive to Heathrow to catch a plane. The M6 through Birmingham is another traffic blackspot as well as the M8 in Glasgow (the second most congested motorway after the M25). You can typically bet on finding a traffic jam if you drive for more than 90 minutes on the motorway system, especially as you approach cities. Checking local traffic reports on websites such as AA Roadwatch or Frixo and listening to the BBC local radio station for the area can help if you know you need to travel during busy hours.


No stopping here, except for loading or if you're disabled

Parking on-street is usually heavily restricted. Never park on a white, double yellow or double red line. Even stopping on white or red lines is illegal. Parking on a single-yellow line is restricted (typically no-parking during the daytime, e.g. 7AM-7PM) and the restrictions are displayed on roadside yellow signs. In city centres many residential streets require a resident's parking permit to park on the street, although outer-suburbs and small towns have fewer restrictions. On-street parking in cities may be restricted to disability-badge holders or be heavily metered, and is often for no more than a 1–2 hours stay in the daytime but is often free at night. Surface lots generally operate the pay 'n' display payment system - you must buy a ticket from a vending machine, select how many hours you wish to pay and then place the ticket on your dashboard in clear view - these places are regularly patrolled and if you don't return to your car before the allotted time you'll get a penalty or get clamped (but you can only be fined one a day if your vehicle does not move). Often you'll need to enter the numeric digits from your car's number plate when buying the ticket to prevent people from 'selling on' tickets with leftover time. Multi-storeys are usually multi-level buildings or in larger cities may be located underground. Most have barrier-controls - you'll be issued with a ticket upon entry. When returning to your vehicle you must either pay at a 'pay station' (a self-service terminal inside the car park's lobby) in which you insert the ticket and pay the required amount - the ticket will be given back to you and you must insert it into the slot at the exit barrier (although some will have scanned your number plate on entry and the barrier will open automatically on exit if you have paid) ; or alternatively you will pay a cashier at the exit barrier - it'll normally explain the payment process on the ticket. Parking charges vary from less than 50p per hour in small towns to over £4 an hour in the largest cities. Many larger cities have digital displays on the approach roads indicating how many parking spaces are available in each car park. A number of car parks in the United Kingdom are now cashless, and you will need a suitable payment card or smartphone app to hand.

Many cities operate a "Park and Ride" scheme, with car parks on the edge of the city and cheap buses into the city centre, and you should consider using them. In major cities (particularly London, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow and Birmingham) it is usually a much better option to park on the outskirts and take public transport to the centre. This not only saves money on parking and fuel but also saves a lot of time as heavy traffic, twisty one way systems, and limited parking space causes long delays.

In any town, expect regular bus services between the centre, suburbs and nearby villages, and less frequent services to more rural areas. London also has the largest mass-transit system in the world - the London Underground and an extensive overground system and bus network too. London, Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield and Blackpool have trams covering parts of those cities. Outside of London, Liverpool has the most extensive metro system (Merseyrail), spanning from several stations in the city centre to those in the outer suburbs. Newcastle upon Tyne has a similar network. Greater Manchester also has an extensive local train network in addition to its expanding metro system. Glasgow has a small underground rail system in the centre and a local train network. In some cities buses can be slow moving due to traffic congestion.

Structure and route numbering

Gravelly Hill Interchange (usually known as "Spaghetti Junction"), NE of Birmingham where the M5, M6 and A38 meet
A37, a primary route in the West Country
A81 in Scotland, a secondary road
B6270 passing through Gunnerside, North Yorkshire
The Winnats Pass in Derbyshire is typical of the kind of rural road you might encounter - very narrow, albeit with frequent passing places, and lacking a clear sight of the road ahead by more than a few yards, due to hedges or hills. Expect agricultural features such as cattle grids and livestock walking on the road.

The UK road network is a multi-tier system, with motorways at the highest tier, moving down through primary and secondary routes, all the way down to what amount to little more than (un)paved lanes in remote rural areas. You might also hear the term "trunk roads"; this indicates who maintains the roads, not the quality of the road and is therefore of little consequence to the average motorist.

The top tiers of the UK road network are comprehensively numbered. As in the rest of Europe, route numbers are indicated by a letter and a number. Route numbering for non-motorways in England, Scotland and Wales is based on a zonal system, with roads inside a zone being numbered according to that zone: for example, roads in zone 4 are numbered A4xxx or B4xxx. Route numbering in Northern Ireland is separate and often duplicates numbers found in Great Britain.

Roads are signed on a route-based rather than destination-oriented basis. Therefore, before setting out on a long journey, plan the route you are going to take and note the route numbers you will need to follow. It is unusual to see destinations signed more than about 50 mi (80 km) in advance. Generally, UK road signs are excellent and should be very easy to follow.

The types of road are:

  • Motorways (prefix 'M'- blue signs, white route numbers) are fast, long-distance routes that connect the major cities. The speed limit is 70 mph (113 km/h), but lower for certain types of vehicle. Pedestrians, cyclists, mopeds and learner drivers are prohibited. Junctions are numbered. The motorways are the best means of travelling long distances by car but expect delays at peak times or in poor weather. Most motorways have three lanes on each carriageway, although some have more, and some have only two. If there are three or more lanes, trucks and vehicles towing trailers or caravans are not permitted to use the outside (right-hand) lane.
  • Primary routes (prefix 'A' - green signs, yellow route numbers) connect large towns with each other and with the motorway network. Primary routes usually offer fast journey times, but because they tend to go through towns rather than around them, expect delays at peak times. They can vary from roads of near-motorway quality to narrow single-lane roads in remote areas.
  • Secondary routes (prefix 'A' - white signs, black route numbers) connect smaller towns, interchangeable with B roads.
  • B-roads (prefix 'B' - white signs, black route numbers) are larger back roads.
  • Minor routes (white signs, black named destinations) like country lanes or residential streets. These usually don't have route numbers.

A route number followed by (M) means upgraded to motorway standard - for example A3(M) means part of the route A3 that has been upgraded to motorway standards.

A route number in brackets means 'leading to' - for example A507 (M1) means you can reach the M1 by following the A507.

Junctions (exits) are numbered sequentially, and not according to distance from a certain point: a junction 15 likely comes between junctions 14 and 16. Some junctions have letter suffixes, which usually means they were added after the motorway was opened; for example, a new junction created between junctions 4 and 5 would be numbered 4a to avoid resetting the whole sequence. Motorways that cross the English-Welsh border do not reset their junction sequence at the border, whereas the only motorway that crosses the English-Scottish border changes both its route number and its junction sequence: junction 45 on the English M6 is followed by junction 22 on the Scottish A74 (M)!

Major routes (Great Britain)

Primary destinations Route
London, Leicester, Nottingham, Sheffield, Leeds
London, Winchester, Southampton
London, Heathrow Airport, Reading, Bristol, Cardiff, Swansea, Carmarthen, Pembrokeshire Coast, Port of Fishguard
Birmingham, Worcester, Gloucester, Bristol, Exeter, Torquay, Plymouth, Cornwall
Coventry, Birmingham, Stoke-on-Trent, Liverpool/Manchester, Preston, Lake District/Yorkshire Dales, Carlisle, Glasgow
Edinburgh, Glasgow, Paisley
Edinburgh, Falkirk, Perth, Cairngorms, Inverness, Thurso
London, Stansted Airport, Cambridge, Norwich
London, Ashford, Folkestone (Eurotunnel), Port of Dover
London, Oxford, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwick, Birmingham
Manchester, Manchester Airport, Chester, Llandudno, Snowdonia, Port of Holyhead
Liverpool, Manchester, Bradford, Leeds, Hull
Edinburgh, Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen, Fraserburgh
London, Peterborough, Doncaster, York, Yorkshire Dales / North York Moors, Durham, Newcastle upon Tyne, Edinburgh
London, Canterbury, Port of Dover
London, Guildford, Portsmouth
London, Chelmsford, Colchester, Ipswich / Port of Harwich
Birmingham, Coventry, Cambridge, Ipswich, Ports of Harwich and Felixstowe
London, Gatwick Airport, Brighton
Port of Poole, Bournemouth, New Forest, Southampton, Portsmouth, Chichester, South Downs, Brighton, Eastbourne
Winchester (), Newbury (), Oxford ()
Basingstoke (), Stonehenge, Yeovil, Exeter, Dartmoor, Cornwall

Major routes (Northern Ireland)


Road numbers used in Northern Ireland often duplicate numbers used in Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales), but such pairs of roads are not related.

Primary destinations Route
Belfast, Moygashel, Enniskillen, (Sligo) /
Belfast, Ballymena
(Belfast), Lisburn, Newry, (Dublin)
Belfast, Derry (aka Londonderry)
Belfast, Larne, (Scotland)



Although the British Government references E-routes in its planning documents and E-routes might be shown on certain computer-generated route maps, they are not sign-posted. Just because an E-route might tshown crossing the North Sea or the English Channel, is no guarantee that a ferry crossing actually exists to support that route, and even if there is a ferry crossing, it might only be available for lorries.

Maps, navigation and language

London A - Z - street atlas book cover
See also: Maps and GPS Navigation.

Planning a driving route in the UK is easier than ever with the advent of GPS and online services such as OpenStreetMap, Google Maps and similar. Unlike many countries, online services for British route planners use postcodes rather than geographic coordinates - a British postcode typically services a dozen houses or a single business.

Still, you should plan to take a paper road map with you for those times when you don't have wifi and the sat nav isn't working, as inevitably happens when you're lost on the roads of a strange country!

The Automobile Association (AA) Road Atlas series is widely considered the best of these. Other reliable brands include Collins, Michelin and the RAC. All of these brands have online route planners too (see AA route planner), though ironically the majority rely on Google to do the actual route planning for them.

Navigating on urban streets and along smaller country roads that don't appear on larger road atlases can be a special challenge, but finding the right map for the job doesn't have to be. The Geographers' A-Z Street Atlas (usually just called an "a to zed") prints the best range of urban street maps, while the Ordnance Survey's (OS) Landranger series is the must-have map for rural motoring. All tourist information centres, most petrol stations, supermarkets, newsagents, and many branches of WH Smith sell regional and national road atlases, in addition to A-Z and OS maps for the local area.

There are subtle differences between British English and other forms of English, especially for technology that evolved during the early twentieth century; for instance, the motor vehicle. If you are reliant on a phrase book to translate between your home language and English, you should ensure that your phrase book is oriented towards British English.

Speed limits


Speed limits in the UK are similar to the rest of Europe, although motorway speed limits are lower. Unless otherwise indicated (see section on Signs) the following are applicable (for cars):

Road type Limit
Motorways and dual carriageways with a divide median 70 mph (112 km/h) 60 mph (97 km/h) with a trailer.
Single Carriageways (undivided highways) 60 mph (97 km/h) Reduced to 50 mph (80 km/h) with a trailer.
Built up areas 30 mph (48 km/h) In 2023 Wales changed to a 20mph limit in built-up areas, unless otherwise indicated.
Minor Roads (Rural) 60 mph (97 km/h) Although the limit is 60 mph, it is a maximum not a recommendation. 40mph is also a common speed limit for rural roads.

Speed limits for cars are 70 mph (112 km/h) on motorways and dual carriageways (i.e. roads divided by a grassy area or other hard barrier between opposing directions of traffic); 60 mph (97 km/h) on single carriageway (i.e. undivided) roads; and 30 mph (48 km/h) in built-up areas unless signs show otherwise. The use of 20 mph (32 km/h) zones has become increasingly common to improve safety in areas such as those around schools. Although national limits apply to minor roads and back lanes, driving for the conditions is strongly recommended. On narrow lanes of a rural nature, equestrian and agricultural traffic means that although the nominal 60 mph is in force, the 'acceptable' limit for the conditions can be considerably lower.

Average speed cameras mounted on the central gantry, A77

Speed cameras are widespread on all types of road, though more used in some areas than others (England's largest county of North Yorkshire, for example, has a policy of using no fixed enforcement cameras on its highways). Static cameras are often well signed, painted bright colours with clear markings on the road. While this might seem rather strange, the idea is to improve their public acceptance as a 'safety' measure (rather than the widely held opinion that they're there to collect money).

In addition to static cameras, traffic police in the UK use 'mobile' cameras and even 'unmarked' patrol cars to look for speeding motorists. You will also find within road works on major roads (and on the A20 approach to Dover) the use of average speed over a number of miles, rather than spot speed, cameras.

Variable speed limit close to Junction 10 of the M6 motorway

There are some variable mandatory speed limits on a number of busier motorways (known as "smart motorways") - these are shown on overhead gantries inside a red circle; other temporary speed limits shown on matrix boards are recommended but not mandatory. Apart from these and around roadworks, the motorways are generally free of fixed speed cameras. Perhaps as a result, many drivers drive much faster on motorways than the stated speed limit (often around 80 mph/130 km/h), although you will be prosecuted if caught. Driving at slower speeds in the outside (overtaking lane) may cause frustration to other drivers and is an offence punishable by a fine. The same applies to tailgating - driving too close to a slow-moving vehicle in front.

Speeding is punishable by an appreciable fine and penalty points on your driving licence. A foreign driving licence or number plate is no defence, as the UK routinely shares information with agencies abroad. If you are caught by a speed camera the whole process is automatic. Police rarely show any discretion in waiving a speeding fine. Very excessive speed could also in addition lead to a more serious charge of careless or dangerous driving, which carries the risk of jail time. Trying to avoid a speeding fine by claiming someone else was driving would amount to the very serious offence of attempting to pervert the course of justice, which can lead to several years in jail.

Road rules

The Old Market roundabout in Bristol
The Swindon Magic Roundabout with traffic direction and alternative routes through it (give way at the arrowheads!)

The road rules differ from other countries: side roads never have priority, overtaking on the left (so called undertaking) is illegal, and you may not turn left over a red light. There are no 4-way stop junctions in the UK; priority should be clearly marked on the road.

Be aware of zebra crossings (non-light-controlled pedestrian crossings) marked by black and white stripes on the road and yellow flashing lights on the pavement (sidewalk). You are expected to stop if someone is crossing or waiting to cross. As of 2022, you are also expected to stop and let pedestrians cross a side road that you wish to turn into.

There are many roundabouts (circulars/traffic islands) in the UK, from large multi-lane roundabouts at dual carriageway junctions to small mini-roundabouts on local streets. The rules for entering them are the same - traffic on the roundabout has priority, and you must give way to anybody already on the roundabout (who would collide with your right side if you entered it). Be careful of two- or three-lane roundabouts, as there are complicated rules for which lane you should be in which UK drivers learn and expect other drivers to follow. If there are no signs or arrows on the road indicating otherwise (which there often are), you should use the left lane if your turn off the roundabout is to the left or straight on, and the right lane if turning right (but switching to the left lane immediately after passing the last exit before the one you want to use, and in any case before you turn off - never 'cut up' another driver by turning straight from the outside lane of a roundabout to an exit road). So large roundabouts the inner lanes spirals out as you go round. You should be fine provided you're cautious and keep an eye on other traffic. Some roundabouts are arranged in such designs and quick sequence that they can make you dizzy. Take it easy until you get used to it. Signal your intended direction before entering the roundabout and signal when exiting.

There are a handful of roundabouts within roundabouts, the most well-known of which is the "Magic Roundabout" in Swindon. If you encounter one such roundabout, think of it as a mini ring road where you can go clock-wise in the outer ring or anti-clockwise around the inner ring with each spur road having its own roundabout. The priority rules are the same as for any other roundabout - when you come to a dotted line, give way to the traffic on the right.

For further information on driving in the UK, consult the Highway Code.



Driving licences are issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) in England, Scotland and Wales, and by the Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) in Northern Ireland. Licences issued by all European Union countries, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein are valid in the UK until their expiry for all classes of vehicles listed. Licences issued by all other countries are valid for up to a year before you will be required to obtain a UK licence, and may only be used to drive cars and motorcycles. This prohibition does not apply to drivers holding appropriate foreign licences who are driving foreign-registered vehicles that they have themselves brought into the UK.

Holders of licences from certain countries may exchange their licence for a UK licence after paying an administrative fee. Check with the relevant government agency for the details. Those holding licences from all other countries are required to pass theory and practical tests before they can obtain a UK licence.

Road signs


(For more detail see - Know your Traffic Signs. and The Highway Code)

The UK roads are well signed and in general, consistent with other European road signs, except that distances and speeds refer to miles and miles per hour rather than kilometres and kilometres per hour.

In general, triangular signs are warnings, round signs are regulation and rectangular signs convey information.

Speed limits are given by circular signs, these give a numerical limit in mph (not km/h) in a red-bordered sign, a white circular disc with a black diagonal indicates that the 'National' speed limit applies, which is determined by the type of road.

In Wales any text on or accompanying a road sign or a road marking is normally in Welsh as well as English. The design and meaning of signs is, however, exactly the same. (See Wales#Bilingual road signs for more information.

The only land border in the United Kingdom is the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. In some cases, the only way in which the border is demarcated is a road sign giving speed limits in km/h (entering the Republic of Ireland) or a "National Speed Limit" sign (entering Northern Ireland).

A number of road signs in the United Kingdom use logos that refer to specific British institutions and as such are not catalogued in the Vienna Convention. The most commonly encountered logos are shown below:

Road markings


(For more detail see the Know Your Traffic Signs and this section of The Highway Code.)


Marking Purpose Notes
Single white line, long gap, short dashes parallel to carriageway Lane divider on multi-lane carriageway
Single white line,v. short gap, long dashes parallel to carriageway Hazard marker
Chevrons, with arrow direction parallel to carriageway Do not enter roadspace.
Single direction, white hatching at edge of carriageway Road narrows ahead, Do not enter.
Multiple yellow lines across carriageway Slow down, a junction or roundabout is approaching!
Dual white lines unbroken Do not cross! Sometimes one side may be unbroken, and on the broken side overtaking in limited circumstances is permitted.
White Inverted triangle Give Way (Yield)!
Yellow - 2Direction Diagonal hatching... (Yellow Box) Box Junction, Do not enter unless your exit is clear! This form of hatching may also be used on level crossings.
White arrows around a circle. Mini Roundabout - Give Way to traffic from the right, and stay left
Elongated circle with numerals inside Speed limit
White line parallel with carriageway and cycle picture Cycle lane, do not enter Typically on Left hand side. May also have red road surface.

Single track roads


In more rural areas it is common to come across single track roads with passing places. When driving on these you should:

  • Travel at a cautious speed - the speed limit on these roads is typically 60mph unless signposted otherwise, but this is almost never an appropriate speed for these roads. You should be travelling at a speed that allows you to stop in the distance you can clearly see ahead of you.
  • Keep to the left, if a passing place is on the right the vehicle coming the other way pulls in
  • Keep an eye out for passing places and other traffic
  • Be careful when reversing the edges of the road are often not marked, and the banks are often not capable of bearing the weight of a vehicle or have drainage ditches. Regardless of how keen the other driver is to make progress ending up stuck in a ditch helps nobody
  • Allow other traffic to pass, pull in to a passing place on left, or opposite one on the right and signal to the left. Remember the driver behind you could be on an emergency call
  • Passing places are primarily to allow vehicles to pass, they are not parking places

Stay safe

Drive on the left!

Driving standards are relatively good in the UK. As everywhere else, there are some aggressive or reckless drivers; but they are a small minority.

Traffic police patrol motorways and major roads in marked and unmarked cars. Any police officers, regardless of their normal duties, will pursue a vehicle seen driving dangerously. In general, police are fair but very firm when it comes to traffic offences, and are instinctively suspicious of bad or erratic driving as a sign of more serious matters like an unlicensed or drunk driver. An honest mistake, not amounting to an offence, may often lead to just some friendly advice or a warning. But they will show little or no discretion to anyone who has deliberately broken the law. British traffic offences are not greatly different from those elsewhere, but the rigour with which the police tackle some of them perhaps is.

Drunk driving


Above all, don't drink and drive in the UK. The maximum limit is 50 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood (0.05%) in Scotland, and 80 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood (0.08%) everywhere else, and this is strictly enforced. Going 'over the limit' is a serious criminal offence. The police often patrol roads in cities and town centres on Friday and Saturday nights on the lookout for drink drivers, and also wait in or near pub car parks (simply getting into your car when drunk, with the intention of driving off, is an offence - even if the car doesn't move). If you fail or refuse to take the initial breath test at the roadside, police will always arrest you and take you to the police station for a further, more accurate test. If you fail or refuse to take that, you will be charged and prosecuted; and you may well be kept in police custody until you 'sober up'. Enforcement of drink driving laws is extremely strict, and anyone caught can expect no leniency from either the police or the courts. Fines are heavy (have been up to £5,000 in some cases), with a minimum driving ban of 12 months for a first offence. There is also the very real possibility of a prison sentence (such as 6 months) simply for driving 'over the limit'; the court will impose additional penalties if the driving was dangerous, and especially if anyone was hurt in an accident caused by a drunk driver. Causing death by drunk driving is treated very seriously indeed, and will lead to an extended jail term, public opinion being very strong on this issue. If you are involved in an accident while under the influence of alcohol, you will be held liable for it even if not over the limit. If the accident is fatal, a long prison sentence is inevitable.

Some drivers believe they can get away with just one or two drinks - a pint and a half of ordinary beer, or three small glasses of wine, will put most people on or above the limit. But doing that means you're gambling with your body's tolerance of alcohol. The simplest and safest course is not to drink anything if you're driving, or leave your car and call a taxi instead. Any pub or restaurant will be happy to call one for you, or give you the number of a local company.

Police in the UK also routinely check for driving under the influence of drugs, and the penalties for this are also strictly enforced. In particular, the levels of THC (an active ingredient in cannabis) in a person's bloodstream required for a successful drug driving conviction is incredibly low, and will be easily exceeded by the residual levels of a habitual consumer even if they have not consumed the drug in a while.

Mobile phones

In case of an accident, the police will check if drivers were calling or under influence

It is an offence to use or even handle your mobile phone whilst driving. That applies whether making a voice call, texting or accessing services; the only exceptions are for hands-free kits (at any time), when parked with the engine off, to pay for something (e.g. at a drive-thru) or if calling the emergency services (at any time). Police will stop you for using your mobile phone and a penalty will be issued on the spot (although you pay by post; police never collect fines themselves). This fine will be accompanied with points endorsed on your licence, whatever your standard of driving at the time. If, though, your driving was erratic because you were using the phone, expect a more serious charge of careless or dangerous driving.

After any major accident it is normal for police to breathalyse all drivers and to check mobile phone records, even if there is no other evidence of anyone being drunk or using a phone. They are perfectly entitled to do so.

Cam recorders


It is perfectly legal to install a cam recorder in your car provided that it does not obstruct your view. In general this means that the camera may not protrude more than 40 mm into the area swept out by windscreen wipers (unless it is concealed by the rear view mirror). It is not uncommon for the police to request drivers who have cam recorders and who drove in the vicinity of a crime scene to come forward as the information captured on the camera might help them solve the crime.

You are of course not permitted to consult or adjust the cam recorder while driving.

Under GDPR (privacy laws), you are required to inform every passenger that there is a camera present and anything that they say might be recorded.

Seat belts


It is a legal requirement that all persons in a vehicle must wear their seat belt. Persons not wearing a seat belt may receive a fine, although this does not typically come with any points. If a child is not wearing a seat belt, the driver is responsible (whether or not they are also the parent) and a fine will be issued for that offence also. Children under 1.4 m are also legally required to use a child booster seat for safety reasons.

Fog lights


Use of fog lights where there is no fog is also an offence for which you may receive a fine.

Automatic Number Plate Recognition


Police vehicles are equipped with ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) cameras linked to a central database, which automatically alerts officers to any vehicle which is uninsured, untaxed or has not passed its MOT (roadworthiness) test; or if the owner is wanted for any offence. If you trigger an ANPR camera, you will at least be stopped and questioned until the matter is resolved. There have been cases of cars hired to visitors by unscrupulous firms being caught in this way, although anyone hiring such a car would not normally be accused of doing anything wrong.

Whilst it is considered by some visitors that a foreign number plate makes you largely immune from other means of detection like speed cameras, congestion charge cameras and Traffic (Parking) Wardens, this is a myth. British authorities have access to vehicle registration databases from various other countries, and share data on a regular basis. Be aware that you may also just happen to encounter the one Camera Operator/Warden who is going to take the trouble to track down your address from your home licencing authority. British hire car companies will also charge traffic fines to your credit card, long after you have left the country.

If all of this sounds harsh, it's one of the reasons why British roads are among the safest in Europe.



See also Animal collisions

The United Kingdom has a strong attachment to animal welfare, hitting or injuring one with a vehicle can elicit strong reactions.

Livestock may be encountered on country roads, if you encounter a herd moving between fields or service buildings like a dairy, or barn, waiting it out until it passes is the recommended course of action. Horses can also be encountered, in some upland areas these may roam more freely. Deer are also possible in many parts of the countryside. Warning signs may be provided indicating the potential for livestock, horses or wildlife, but these understandably can not be provided in every context, so exercising reasonable caution on roads is advised. If you must pass horses or livestock, do so slowly, giving them and the person in charge space and time to react.

Dogs are a concern in both urban and rural areas. Residential streets, footpaths crossing, and roads next to open spaces, are likely locations to encounter them. Also try to anticipate if a dog is going to dart in front of a vehicle, leashed or not, if you see people in the road or roadside.

All animal collisions should be reported to the authorities immediately, for legal reasons. Contacting your insurance provider or the vehicle hire company may also be required.

Smart motorways


Some stretches of the motorway network have been altered to become "smarter", with real-time traffic updates and speed limit controls that can be operated remotely. On these stretches, the hard shoulder has been removed in order to provide an additional lane for traffic. In their place are refuge areas, which rather than forming a continuous lane of extra tarmac, are mere pull-ins spread every 500 yd (460 m) or so. Some statistical evidence suggests that these stretches record a higher accident rate than stretches of motorway with a hard shoulder, and there is quite a high-profile campaign to reverse the conversion. In January 2020, the Government halted new conversions pending a review, and in March they announced that more refuge areas would be provided on stretches of road where accidents have occurred, but stopped short of committing to new hard shoulders on smart motorways.



Drivers from abroad should take note that many British drivers regard the flashing of headlights as a signal that they can proceed, rather than as a warning, or as a signal to slow down due to the presence of police. This misunderstanding has led to a number of accidents. On the other hand, if you are 'flashed' by another driver and allowed to proceed, it's polite to acknowledge that by flashing your lights back as you pass, or waving your hand.

If you enter the UK with a left hand drive car the dip direction of the headlights need to be changed. With modern "smart" lights this is a setting from the dashboard, otherwise a lens correction can be stuck over the headlights (usually sold on the car ferry you are probably travelling on).

In a dangerous situation, where there is a risk of death or injury, sound your horn, even during the night. The inappropriate use of the horn is illegal between 23:00 and 07:30.

UK motorists tend not to change tyres in the winter so need to be extra careful in icy or snowy conditions.

At most petrol stations petrol (gasoline) is dispensed from the green pump, and diesel is dispensed from the black pump. This is the reverse of what you will see in the US so take care when refueling!

Take a break

Tebay services, M6

The Highway Code recommends you take a break of at least 15 minutes for every 2 hours' driving. Although this is just a guideline, sooner or later you're going to need a rest. On motorways and main trunk roads, there is normally a service area every 20 miles (32 km) or so. These always have at least a petrol station, toilet, and picnic area, though most also have a range of restaurants, cafés, and shops. Parking is normally free for up to 2 hours, but can be quite extortionate after that limit, so it is not really practical to sleep the night in your vehicle. On the other hand, many services have motels attached to them.

The quality of services varies considerably. Some are genuinely well-designed with thoughtful features such as playgrounds for kids, walkie gardens for dogs, and attractive places for you to sit, while others offer refreshment options beyond the norm: street food stands, farm shops, even actual restaurants. However many others, possibly even the majority, are overcrowded, dispiriting places you won't want to spend any time in. Too many suffer from a lack of nutritional choice beyond the golden arches and green mermaid. One thing that all services have in common is that everything is more expensive than it should be.

For these reasons, it is often better to pull off the main road and search nearby. You'll nearly always find a petrol station on the road leading away from a motorway junction that's offering a better fuel price. For a longer break, Wikivoyage's destination articles are a good place to start, especially when looking for a proper meal, a place to sleep, or somewhere to stretch your legs. If you just want a quick bite to eat, another handy website is JustoffJunction, which suggests pubs, cafés and supermarkets no more than 5 minutes' drive from the motorway.

Hiring a vehicle

The joy of the open road! The A82 through Rannoch Moor

A number of organisations operate car hire in the UK, with some specialist hire firms also hiring minibuses for 'private' use. When hiring, you will almost certainly be asked for proof of identity, and confirmation of your entitlement to drive. In most cases a current suitable 'photocard'-style driving licence will be sufficient to meet both these criteria. If you don't hold a UK licence some vehicle rental companies may require you to sit a brief Highway Code test aimed at tourists, or will accompany you on a brief test drive to assess your driving and understanding of the road rules.

Hire companies will also seek to establish if you have appropriate insurance (as driving without it in the UK is a crime). Whilst you may have insurance cover, it is sometimes more convenient to accept that offered by hire companies, or to pay an excess, for convenience.

Do not under any circumstances hire a vehicle from an individual you are unsure of, especially if they are not a representative of an established firm. This is especially important at airports and other prominent transport hubs.



It is a crime to drive a vehicle in the UK without appropriate insurance, and if caught you could face an expensive court appearance.

Vehicle crime and security

A British wheel clamp

Vehicle crime in the UK is at a level comparable with the rest of Europe, and it is unlikely that you will be affected by it if you follow the standard advice about locking up a vehicle, and not leaving valuable items on display (sat-navs (GPS) have been noted as an attractive target). You should also not leave any important documents (such as your driving licence, insurance or hire agreement) in an unattended vehicle.



In some areas of the UK so-called 'clampers' operate, to enforce parking restrictions. Despite views represented by media in the UK, the number of rogue clampers is low, owing to regulatory action within the parking industry and also the impact of new laws passed.

If your vehicle is clamped:

  • Do NOT pay cash on the spot, and if you need to make a payment to get the vehicle released, get a receipt.
  • Be polite but firm with the clampers.
  • Always ask for their identification and authorisation.
  • Remember that private clampers do not have 'police'-style powers. Once convicted, illegal clampers may be subject to a fine. If in doubt, call the police to verify.
This travel topic about Driving in the United Kingdom has guide status. It has good, detailed information covering the entire topic. Please contribute and help us make it a star!