Madron (Cornish: Eglosmadern) and Sancreed (Cornish: Eglossankres) are the two landlocked parishes on the Penwith peninsula in Cornwall.
Mainly a rural area with a number of small settlements, hamlets and a few villages including Madron, Tredinnick, Lower Ninnes, New Mill, Newbridge, Tregavarah, Sancreed, Bejouans, Bosvennen, Botreah, Drift, Sancreed, Trenuggo, and Tregonnebris.
The area is best accessed by car as this allows you to easily visit the sites. Alternatively train services run from London to Penzance, from here the A17 bus service towards Pendeen, operated by Transport for Cornwall, calls at Madron, check timetables before travelling.
Some sites in the area listed below are accessible by car, however parking may be limited. Other sites require walking across the moorland, having access to an offline map of the area is highly recommended.
- 1 Trengwainton Garden, Madron, TR20 8RZ, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 2 Ding Dong Mine. The oldest mine in Cornwall (local legend says that it was visited by Joseph of Arimathea in the first century CE). A UNESCO World Heritage site, part of the Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape.
- 3 Carn Galver Mine (next to the road along the B3306 between Morvah and Porthmeor). Ruins of two former tin mine engine houses overlook the sea right next to the main road.
The area around Madron and Sancreed is rich in prehistoric remains with many megalithic monuments spanning the moorland.
- 4 Chysauster Ancient Village. Settlement
- 5 Carn Euny Ancient Village. There is a fine fogue here.
- 6 Mên-an-Tol (Crick Stone) (SW427349). Three upright standing stones.
- 7 Lanyon Quoit (SW 430337). Dolmen.
- 8 Boskednan Stone Circle. A stone circle also known as the Nine Maidens, although only six of the original stones remain its position on the moorland make it a prominent feature in the landscape.
- 9 Mulfra Quoit. Small chambered tomb, the capstan stone has slipped and leans to one side of its supports.
- 10 Mên Scryfa. early Christian inscribed memorial stone.
- 1 Penzance
- 2 Newlyn
- 3 Mousehole
- 4 Pendeen
- 5 St Buryan
- 6 St. Just in Penwith
- 7 Zennor
- 8 Marazion
- 9 St Erth
- 10 St Levan
- 11 Carbis Bay
- 12 Land's End
- 13 St Ives
- 14 Hayle