Purpose of this article
I think an overview of the Himalayas is a worth while thing to have up, both for travelers still thinking where they want to go, and to give an idea of how the different Himalayan regions relate to one another, and how the area as a whole relates to the neighboring areas. I've got this stub up, and I think it's got enough info on it to justify saving the page, and building on what I've done so far. Hope you all agree.(WT-en) keithonearth 17:08, 13 March 2006 (EST)
- Unless you disagree, can you move this page to Himalayas? There are a lot more articles linking to that term. -- (WT-en) Ryan 17:14, 13 March 2006 (EST)
- Fine with me, I'm not bothered about the name Himalayas/the Himalayas/Himalaya. All good. But we should still do a redirect from the name not used for the artical. No? (WT-en) keithonearth 19:03, 13 March 2006 (EST)
- Not quite sure what you mean by "we should still do a redirect from the name not used for the artical" - anytime you do a page move it turns the old page into a redirect, so hopefully that covers your concern. I've gone ahead and moved the article, so leave a note here if you have any issues with the new name. -- (WT-en) Ryan 19:44, 13 March 2006 (EST)
- Himalaya - the title is not specific enough for an article and it seems to be just an ad. (WT-en) WindHorse 8 March 06
- Keep it. An overview of the Himalayas, following the layout of the Alps would be useful for travelers thinking about where to go. I'll cut the External Link, and get a stub up. (WT-en) keithonearth
- If we keep it, redirect to Himalayas. But should we have articles for mountain ranges? (WT-en) Huttite thought so and used to link them. It will create problems for our geographical hierarchy if we do.--(WT-en) Ravikiran 22:19, 12 March 2006 (EST)
- Keep it. So far our policy exceptionally accepts such ranges as regions. I see no reason to delete it unless the policy is changed. (WT-en) Ricardo (Rmx) 22:45, 12 March 2006 (EST)
- Sorry, since I put it up for deletion, someone has added information. Now it seems more like an article. Previously, t was just the title with an advertisement. However, if you decide to keep an article on this mountain range, I would suggest 'the Himalayas', as a more appropriate title. (WT-en) WindHorse 13 March 06
Links to things further west?
The article mentions the Pamir Knot but does not link to the existing (quite weak) article on the Pamirs. Should it? That article covers a region in Tajikistan; is that all of the Pamirs or do we need more articles & perhaps a disambig page?
What about the Wakhan Corridor which certainly goes through some Himalaya-related mountains, though I am not sure what that group are called? Or the Salang Pass across the Hindu Kush? There is another range along the Afghanitan-Pakistan border, with the Khyber Pass across it; I do not know the name of that range either.
I suspect this article needs more text, and ideally a map, to explain what ranges are where and how they are related. I suspect many travellers will have no clue what the "Pamir Knot" is and quite a few may not recognise "Hindu Kush". Should we create redirects for those pointing to this article & explain them here?
- I don't think mountain range located outside five countries (India, Nepal, Bhutan, China, and Pakistan) should be covered in this article because officially only these five countries house Himalayas. And yes certainly we should created redirects as well a map. I'll try to create a map as soon I get some time but may take some time. --Saqib (talk) 10:54, 15 May 2015 (UTC)
The banner on this page looks like some tiny little hills and does not remind me of the highest mountains in the world. We have got an alternative through the Wiki Loves Earth competition. What do you think about it? --Alexander (talk) 07:31, 14 August 2017 (UTC)
I think the current format of Himalayas#Destinations, with the map taking most of the page & Pakistan text reduced to a narrow column, is remarkably ugly.
I think it needs some sort of section break to put the text after the map, but ---- did not work and I did not find an alternative with a quick browse through the manual of style. Alternately, we might drastically reduce the map width. Pashley (talk) 06:02, 28 January 2021 (UTC)