This page is a literal (and probably automatic) translation of the article from Russian Wikivoyage. While the English text itself may be incomprehensible, its Russian source is quite good. Any effort on improving the translation will be highly appreciated! Unfortunately, I don't have time for it. --Alexander (talk) 20:10, 6 February 2013 (UTC)
- I started. Need splitting after 100 places (cca. next week?), Y/N? --Globetrotter19 (talk) 15:41, 18 February 2014 (UTC)
- Hi User:Globetrotter19. Please do not start splitting this article without a discussion and consensus for a new division scheme at Talk:Saint Petersburg. Texugo (talk) 15:51, 18 February 2014 (UTC)
Metro - English?
The Metro map with Russian station names was just swapped out for one with English translations/transliterations. Is this desirable? The stations are not marked in Latin characters, so wouldn't the Russian version be more useful for travelers in helping them navigate by matching the names to those printed on the station walls? This question has broader implications, so I'll request for comments from a wider audience. --Peter Talk 16:50, 11 April 2013 (UTC)
- Is there a reason why we shouldn't try to include both? There seems to be plenty of room on the map for it, and it would be a lot easier for someone wondering how many it is stops from A to B, etc. Texugo (talk) 18:28, 11 April 2013 (UTC)
- It was I who made the change; my concern is the traveller who's unfamiliar with the Cyrillic script. The first and main advice to whomever wants to travel to Russia has always been "learn Cyrillic". I did learn it and reccomend wholeheartedly, as this knowledge makes a huge difference for the best, but not everybody can/will learn it before going. I must agree that a bilingual version of the map will be the best solution. Ibaman (talk) 18:57, 11 April 2013 (UTC)
The souvenir market behind the Church of the Saviour is still gone in July 2014, and there are not really that many sparse booths. They may even be only selling food. Should we remove mentions of the souvenir market from this page?
Complete List of Canal addresses from Understand
- I'm moving the lists o the talk page. I understand that Globetrotter is very meticulous, and has made an amazing job in the North St Pete page, unfortunately he has been gone to editing other pages and left Center St Pete and South unfinished. These lists as they are are unsightly and do not improve the article, let's keep them here for the while.
- Other sights on Fontanka River Embankment: Mikhailovsky Castle (Михайловский замок) built in 1797-1800, remodeling of the interiors in 1829-1835.- Summer Garden (Летний сад) - No.2 - House Baur (Дом Баура) - No.3 Electrical traction substation building (Здание тяговой подстанции), known as the 'Siege substation', architect Kokhanova RN (1920). - No.3 Ciniselli circus (Цирк Чинизелли),1876-1877. - No.6 /Ul. Tchaikovsky, 1. Building the Imperial School of Jurisprudence (здание Императорского училища правоведения), which now is the Leningrad Regional Court architectural monument.- No.7 House Countess Panina, (Дом графини Паниной) 1832, 1841 - No.10/Ulitsa Pestel, 2, Gangutskaya st., 1, Salt Lane., 9, 11 complex Solyanok Gorodok (lit. Salt Town, Соляной городок)- No.11 House Khmelnitsky (Дом Хмельницкого), 1864. - No.14 House Olsufyeva.( Дом Олсуфьевых) - No.15 & Karavannaya Ulitsa, (lit.Caravan street), 12 corner. Former Splendid Palace (кинематограф Сплендид палас) cinema later was renamed Red Front, from 1948 is a cinema "Rodina" and also here was the Petrograd Goverment Credit Society Bank (здание Петроградского губернского кредитного общества)- No.16 City Court (Санкт-Петербургский городской суд). - No.18 House Pashkov (Дом Пашковых), 1836. - No.19 Apartman House of Princess Urusova (Доходный дом княгини Урусовой). - No.20 House of PV Neklyudova, former home of the Ministry of the Imperial Court, former Golitsyn's house, residence of Prince A.N. Golitsyn (дом П. В. Неклюдова, дом Министерства Императорского Двора, «дом Голицына»). In 1901 AN Voronikhin was equipped with a house church in the name of the Holy Trinity. - No.21 Shuvalov Palace aka Palace D.P Naryshkin (Шуваловский дворец, дворец Д. П. Нарышкина). Built in 1790s, 1844-1846. - No.22 House of Merchant V.F. Gromov (Дом купца В. Ф. Громова). There is a plaque in memory 'lived here merchant gardener and philanthropist VF Gromov', and also the writer Pylyaeva.- No.26 House Mizhueva (Дом Мижуева), built in 1804-06. - No.27 House Shakhovskoy (Дом Шаховской) - No.28 House Sadofyeva (дом Садофьева)- No.30 I.E. Starov Apartman house (Доходный дом Старова), built in 1780-1789. - No.31 'The Cabinet of His Imperial Majesty' (Кабинет Его Императорского Величества) built in 1803-1805, architect Quarenghi, rebuilt in 1809-1811, architect Luigi Rusca . Part of a complex of buildings Anichkova Palace.- No.32 House G.G. Kushelev (Дом Г. Г. Кушелева), built in 1852-1853 - No.33 New House Office (Новый дом Кабинета), built in 1809-1810. Architect was Luigi Rusca, belongs to the complex of buildings Anichkova Palace. - No.34 Fountain House (Фонтанный дом), architectural monument, the former palace Sheremetevs. Built in the 1730s. Since 1989, in the southern wing of the palace is the Museum of Anna Akhmatova (Музей Анны Ахматовой), who has lived here for over 30 years.- No.35 House Merchant Evseveva - House Serebryanikova (Дом купца Евсевьева — Дом Серебряниковых), built in 1807-1812, architect Hans Christian Paulsen - No.36 Catherine Institute (Екатерининский институт), built in 1804-07, architect Quarenghi. - No.38 Apartman House Stepanova (Доходный дом Степанова), built in 1848, architect G.A. Bosse. - No.40 Apartment house from 1839, designed by V.E. Morgan. - After Anichkov Bridge - No. 41 House Kochneva (Дом Кочневой), built in 1805-08, architect L.Ruska. - No.42 and Nevsky Prospekt 41 corner: Beloselsky -Belozersky Palace (Дворец Белосельских-Белозерских), built in 1847-1848, architect Shtakenshneider A.I. - No.44 Compound Trinity-Sergius Lavra (Подворье Троице-Сергиевой лавры), architect A.M. Gornostayev, 1857-58. - No.46 House Dubyansky (Дом Дубянских). - No.51-53 House Lytkino (Дом Лыткиных). This was home of the Directorate of the Imperial Theaters. - No.54 Tolstoy House (Толстовский дом), former apartment house of Count Mikhail Tolstoi. Designed in 1910-1912 in the style of Northern Art Nouveau. In the complex layout of the building included a series of three arches connected through courtyard leading from the embankment to the street Rubinstein. In the house lived a number of famous personalities. - No.57 The Ministry of the Interior (Министерство внутренних дел), built in 1830-1834, architect Rossi ) - No.62 Former Building of Petrovskye Commercial College Merchant Society (Петровское коммерческое училище купеческого общества), built in 1882. - No.64 House Eliseev (Дом Г. Г. Елисеева), built in 1889-1890, architect G.V. Baranovsky) - No.65 House of Count A. Apraksina - Small Theatre - Bolshoi Drama Theater G. Tovstonogov (Дом графа А. С. Апраксина — Малый театр — Большой драматический театр имени Г. А. Товстоногова), built in 1878. - No.70-72 Main Treasury (Главное казначейство), built in 1913-1915. - No.74-78 Building of the former Loan Treasury and State Savings Banks (Здания Ссудной казны и государственных сберегательных касс), built in 1899-1900. - No.79 House Kukanova (Дом Куканова), built in 1831-1832 , architect AI Melnikov - No.81 House Yakovlev (Дом Яковлевых), built in 1780-1790's. - No.83 House Likhachev (Дом Лихачёва), built in 1780-1800. - No.83 House P.P. Zhako (Дом П. П. Жако), built in 1834. - No.85 Yusupov Apartman House (Доходный дом Юсуповых). - No.86-88 Houses Meschanski society (Дома Мещанского общества), built in 1910. - No.87 House Lebedev (Дом Лебедева), built in 1808-09. - No.89 House G.G. von Lerche (Дом Г. Г. фон Лерхе) - No.90 Former Military Barracks (Казармы местных войск), architectural monument - No.90 Apartman House SP Gorstkin (Доходный дом С. П. Горсткина), built in 1875-1881. - No.92 House Ustinov K.(Дом Устинова К.) (Gorkhovaya st., 59), built in 1817-22. - No.97-101 Houses Poltoratsk (Дома Полторацких) - No.97 House Oleninyh (Дом Олениных), where in 1820 first met Pushkin with Anna Kern - No.112 House Director Constantine Military School (Дом директора Константиновского военного училища), built in 1806-1809 - No.114 St. Petersburg State Youth Theatre on Fontanka (Санкт-Петербургский государственный молодёжный театр на Фонтанке). - No.115 Yusupov Palace (Юсуповский дворец) 1790, architect Quarenghi. - No.117 The General Department of Communications and public buildings (Главное управление путей сообщения и публичных зданий), built in 1859-1861. - No.118 House Derzhavin (Дом Г. Р. Державина), the former building of the Roman Catholic college, rebuilt in 1848-1850. - No.118 House MD Tarasova (Дом М. Д. Тарасовой), built in 1849 - No.120 and Izmailovo, 2 corner, Former Barracks of the Izmailovskogo's Life Guards regiment(Казармы Лейб-гвардии Измаиловского полка), built in 1800s - No.121 V. Schaub Apartment house, built in 1913-1914. - No.122 Apartment house Serebryakov (доходный дом Серебряковых). Plaque "In this house, lived and worked great Soviet composer Sergei Prokofiev from 1913 to 1917." - No. 126 V.G. and O.M. Chubakova Apartment house (доходный дом В. Г. и О. М. Чубаковых), built in 1912-1913. - No.127/Voznesensky prospect,57 corner - Alexander R. Geshvenda apartment house (доходный дом А. Р. Гешвенда), built in 1882 - No.130 House PA Popova (Особняк П. А. Поповой), built in 1822-25. - No.131 Margolins Apartment house (Доходный дом С. И. и Б. И. Марголиных). - No.153 House of the Audit Department of the Ministry of War (Дом Аудиторского департамента Военного министерства), built in 1820. - No.154 Christ community of Sisters of Me(Здание Крестовоздвиженской общины сестёр милосердия), built in 1892-1904.- No.155 House Noinskih (Особняк Ноинских) - No.156 Former Admiralty hospital of the Emperor Peter of the Great (Адмиралтейский госпиталь Императора Петра Великого). - No. 159/Klimov lane., 9 House K.I.Kapustina (Дом К.И.Капустина), built in 1907-1909, Arch. A.F.Bubyr. - No. 158 House Merchant Pelevin (Дом купца Пелевина), built in 1820's. - No.164 House of court counselor Otta (Дом надворного советника Отта), built in 1798, rebuilt in 1817-1821. In this house was the Noble board the Main Pedagogical Institute. - No.199 "Iron House" (Дом-утюг), built in 1911 - 1912, architect V. Schaub. - No. 201 Admiralty 4th unit house (Съезжий дом 4-й Адмиралтейской части.) - No.203 Former Admiralty Shipyard Complex (корпуса Адмиралтейского судостроительного завода), 1908-1912. Also near to here the Monument Chizhik-Pyzhik (Памятник Чижику-Пыжику).
- More other sights on naberezhnaya Moyka: - No.3 Circular Market (Kruglovo rynka, Здание Круглого рынка), built in 1790s, architect Giacomo Quarenghi ) - No.4 Stables yard (Konyusennyy dvor, Конюшенный двор) - No.7 / Millionaya ulitsa, 8 - Mavrina Glinka apartment house(доходный дом Н. Б. Глинки-Маврина) . - No.12 - Apartment Museum of Alexander Pushkin (музей-квартира А. С. Пушкина), the last apartment of the poet - No.14 Ivan Puschin, - who was a "noble revolutionaries", a lieutenant colonel of the Russian army in 1st half of the 19th century, - living house (Иван Иванович Пущин дом). Now home to the hotel PushkaInn. - No.16 - Basner composer living house - No.20 -Singing Capella (Певческая Капелла), architect L.N. Benois. - No.21 The mansion of Prince Abamelek-Lazareva (Oсобняк князя С. С. Абамелек-Лазарева). Built in 1907-1909, by the V.S. Vorotilova, rebuilt in 1912 by I.A. Fomin. - No.22 Kempinski Hotel Moika 22 - No.24b The building where stayed the (former) famous restaurant Donon (ресторан «Донон»). Now is Theatre Mikhail Boyarsky "Benefit" (Tеатр Михаила Боярского «Бенефис»). - No.29 Japanese Consulate (японское консульство)- No.31-33 Ferzena Apartment House (Доходный дом Н. П. Ферзена), built 1914-1915, neoclassical style, architect Makarov P.M. - No.57/Nevsky 18 House of Kotomina merchant (дом купца Котомина) - No.59/Nevsky 15 Opposite the house Kotomina through Nevsky Prospect: Former Chicherin House (дом Чичерина), cinema "Barricade" (кинотеатр «Баррикада») - No.46/Nevsky 17 Stroganov Palace (Строгановский дворец) made by architect Rastrelli. - No.48 & 52 Palace K. Razumovsky (дворец К. Г. Разумовского), architects was AF Kokorinov, Vallin de la Mothe. Since 1834, the building housed an orphan (Nicholas Orphan Institute). Since 1918 Institute of Education is here, now renamed for A.I. Herzen Russian State Pedagogical University (Российский государственный педагогический университет имени А. И. Герцена) with an image 'A pelican feeding chicks' (пеликана, кормящего птенцов) - what is a symbol of the university. - No.58 Jouin A. architectural monument apartment house (доходный дом А. Жуэна). Built in 1913-1914, by architect R. Meltzer. - No.61 University of Telecommunications (Санкт-Петербургский Государственный университет телекоммуникации имени профессора Бонч-Бруевича) - No.62/Pereulok Grivtsova, 2: Lipin apartment house (доходный дом Липина), architectural monument. Built in the 18th century, rebuilt in 1863. - No.64/pereulok Grivtsova,1. Korpusa apartment house (доходный дом К. Б. Корпуса). 1879-1880. Architect: AR Geshvend. - No.71 / Gorohovaya Ulitsa, 16. Korpusa apartment house (доходный дом К. Б. Корпуса). 1876-1878. - No.72 House of the Russian-American Company, officially: Russian-American Company Under His Imperial Majesty's Highest Protection (дом Российско-Американской компании). It was a state-sponsored chartered,- Russia's first,- joint stock company, later building used as a pawnshop (architect GV Baranovsky) - At the corner of the Moyka and Bolshoy Neva. The House of Culture of th Union Communication (Дом культуры Союза связи) former the German Reformed Church (Немецкой реформатской церквa), built in 1862-1865, by architect G.A. Bosse, rebuilt in 1870's, and in 1932-1940. - No.82 Former Voroninskiy or Lantern baths (Воронинские, Фонарные бани) - No.94 Here stayed Yusupov Palace of Vallin de la Mothe (Юсуповский дворец, Валлен-Деламот). - No.106 Palace of the Grand Duchess Xenia Alexandrovna (дворец великой княгини Ксении Александровны). Finishing of the interior in 1895, by N.V. Sultanov. - No.112 and 114/ulitsa Pisareva, 2. The mansion of V.A.Shretera (особняк В. А. Шрётера). 1897-1899. - Near here the famous Arch of New Holland (Новой Голландии) - No.122 Palace of Grand Duke Alexei Alexandrovich (дворец великого князя Алексея Александровича ), 1880's, architect ME Messmacher. Here built in 1844, the mansion AI Saburova, by architect D. Efimov. - No.124 Angliyskiy prospect, 1. Housse of the New Admiralty Officers, 1908-1909 - No.126 St.Nicholas Psychiatric Hospital (Психиатрическая больница св. Николая), since 1872 , in a former Correctional Institution, built in 1840.
- Sights on Naberezhnaya Griboyedova Kanala: No.2-A Church of the Savior on the Spilled Blood (Храм Спаса-на-Крови) and Chapel vestry Iberian Mother of God (Часовня-ризница Иверской иконы Божией Матери). - No.2/2 The Benois Wing of the Russian Museum (Корпус Бенуа), - No.8 House of the Jesuits (Дом ордена иезуитов)- No.9 The building which belonged Konjushennogo department since 1800's. In 1838, architect AI Bourgeois overbuilt to three floors and combined total facade decorated with gables facing the canal and on the 2nd Swedish alley. - Military Apartments designed for musicians, members of the choirs of musicians (military bands) and the Cavalry Life Guards regiments. Since 1935 fifty six apartments were transferred to the Leningrad Branch of the All-Russian Union of Writers. - No.13 The St.Petersburg Society of Mutual Credit (Здание Санкт-Петербургского общества взаимного кредита). - No.19 Ivanov Apartment house, rebuilt in 1875-1876. - No.21 and Nevsky Prospekt 28, Home of Singer of Suzor or House of Books (Дом компании «Зингер» или «Дом Книги»). - No.26 Small seating yard (Малый гостиный двор) - No.30-32 Former Assignation Bank (Здание Ассигнационного банка), now St. Petersburg State University of Economics and Finance. - No.51 (Kazan street, 28) Assay Office building (Пробирной палаты), built in 1790's-1800's, now the hotel Radisson SAS (гостиницы «Рэдиссон САС»). - No.65-67. Chagin Apartment building, 1893-1894 (Чагин Доходный дом) - No.68 Mulhanov Apartment building (Мульханов Доходный дом), 1903. - No.69 Monument building built in 1870-1880. - No.72 Apartment building of Ignatovich (доходный дом Игнатович), 1895. - No.76 Alexander L. Lishnevsky School (школа А. Л. Лишневского), built in 1930. - No.80/Krasnogradsky Lane 5, Chelishchevo Apartment building (доходный дом Челищевой), 1898. - No.100 Morgan Apartment (доходный дом Моргана), 1830 and 1855-1856. - No.104, the left side. Apartment house of Poleshko (доходный дом Полешко, дом «Преступление и наказание»), 1902, 1910. Previously on this site was a house master carpenter I. Walch , where lived A.S.Griboyedov. In this house lived Alyona Ivanovna, the heroine of the novel Fyodor Dostoyevsky's "Crime and Punishment" - No.109/Theater Square, 8: Apartment house of L.M. Kharlamova (доходный дом Харламова), built 1902-1904 - No.111 Apartment house (доходный дом Моргана), built in 1856. - No.112 Ignatovich Apartment house (доходный дом Игнатович)), 1893. - No.131/19 Rusca apartment house of the XVIII century (доходный дом Руска). Expanded in 1836. - No.132 Apartment house of M.A. Makarova (доходный дом М. А. Макарова), built in 1882. - No.133/22 Guards barracks (казармы Гвардейского экипажа). Built in 1843-44, rebuilt in 1852.- No.133a Selyaninov Guards Corps barracks (корпус казарм Гвардейского экипажа Селянинов), built in 1877. - No.134 Apartment house of KA Tona (доходный дом К. А. Тона), built in 1874. - No.136 P. Mulhanov apartment house (доходный дом Мульханов), rebuilt in 1904. - No.138 I. Shaposhnikov apartment house (доходный дом Шапошникова). Built in 1882-1883. - No.140/2 - B. Girshovich building for the Jewish people's baths and restaurant (Гиршович здание, Еврейских народных бань и столовой). Built in 1902. - No.142/1 K.E. Egorov apartment house (доходный дом К. Е. Егоровым). The angular part of expanded wraps in 1846, left part of the house built in 1894. - No.144 Apartment house of P.N. Batueva (доходный дом П. Н. Батуева). Built in 1909. - No.146 N.I. Monks apartment house (доходный дом Н. И. Монахов). Built in 1910 - No.148-150 Apartment house of T.M. Lubishchev (доходный дом Т. М. Любищевой). Built in 1914. - No.156 A.O. Vitali mansion (Oсобняк А. О. Витали) built in 1860. - No.158 - Apartment house of S.S. Trainin (доходный дом С. С. Трайнина), 1912. - No.160 House for the nurses of the Intercession community (дом Покровской общины сестёр милосердия). Built in 1900. - No.164 Barcham apartment house (доходный дом Г. М. Барчем), built in 1857. - No.166 S.A. Serebriakova's mansion (Oсобняк С. А. Серебрякова), 1894. - No.170 Iors apartment house (доходный дом И. Н. Иорс). Built in 1881. - No.172 18th century mansion (Oсобняк XVIII века). - No.174 the only surviving house in Kolomna (единственный сохранившийся в Коломне дом) 1730s built. Rebuilt in the 1870s by architect VF Hecker. In this house after the Lyceum, in 1816-1818 he lived Pushkin. - No.178/129 Styunkel apartment house (доходный дом А. И. Стюнкель). Built in 1910.
- Sights on Naberezhnaya Obvodnogo Kanala: No.3-5 granaries of the Alexander Nevsky Monastery. Built in 1846-1849. - No.7 a former and since 1946 Theological Academy, built in 1817-1819 by Luigi Rusca. Monument in style of classicism. Since 1926, the building housed the North Eastern department of the Leningrad Institute (ЦИЖВЯ), after 1930, the 'Institute of the North'. During the 2nd WW, the building was a hospital. - No.74 Gas Plant (Газовый завод),- of the Lighting Capital Company, built in 1858-1862,- with a gas-holder. - No.82 An apartment house, built in 1898-1899. - No.90a - The A. F. Shtritera industrial factory building (производственное здание завода А. Ф. Штритера), built in 1885. - No.107/Vereyskaya Ulitsa, 47, is the angular part of the canal. An apartment house, built in 1886, rebuilt and enlarged in 1908. - No.124/ulitsa Shkapina, 2. An apartment house, built in 1907. - No.136 Golenishcheva Cotton mill Production building (здание бумагопрядильной фабрики наследников Голенищева), built in 1863. - No.169-173. Izmaylovskye Refreshment shops (Измайловские провиантские магазины), built in 1819-1823, in style of classicism. - No.179A The city disease center. - No.181 Cjurupy Palace of Culture (Дворец культуры имени А. Д. Цюрупы), former House of educational institutions, 1913. - No.197-201 and Tsiolkovsky,15 corner, right-hand side. A complex of buildings 4th treasury wine warehouse and factory (комплекс зданий 4-го казённого винного склада и завода). Built in 1896-1898. Ibaman (talk) 01:37, 12 August 2014 (UTC)
- Hey! Thank You for good words about North Pete.
- About the Canal lists: I think these are important, lists-state/city level protected monuments,-so we must to take back any form. Maybe with templates or just like an 'one line list'. (Read more on talk site) Globetrotter19 (talk) 14:14, 12 August 2014 (UTC)
Five years later: we still have a lengthy "Understand" describing canals, which isn't the right place even where the content is relevant. Those places along the banks worth mentioning in "See" / "Do" should migrate if not there already, otherwise dismiss the remaining 4900 with a lofty "there are many beautiful and historic buildings in this area". These canals would be worth an orientation section if they were wide channels that constrained progress around the district, with waterbuses, bridges drawn up at night, etc. But they're narrow and you can freely criss-cross as you amble the streets. Sightseeing boats putter along them but not public transport - a couple of lines under "Get around" would suffice. Grahamsands (talk) 14:41, 27 December 2019 (UTC)
I have previously created an alternative banner for this article (which was initially created for the parallel article at the Hebrew Wikivoyage, but I decided to suggest we'll use it here at the English Wikivoyage article as well). Which banner do you prefer that we'll use on the top of this article? ויקיג'אנקי (talk) 13:31, 13 March 2021 (UTC)
- I prefer the current banner. Art galleries are art galleries. The Church on Spilled Blood is unique, and emblematic of St. P. Ground Zero (talk) 13:35, 13 March 2021 (UTC)
- The Hermitage Museum is not any simple art gallery... and this is definitely THE tourist destination of the center of Saint Petersburg. In my opinion, many more tourists would have much more interest in the Hermitage Museum rather than the church of spilled blood. ויקיג'אנקי (talk) 16:03, 13 March 2021 (UTC)
- I agree that the Hermitage is not just any museum, but this picture looks like a lot of museums. The Church on Spilled Blood does not look like many other churches. What about an exterior picture of the Hermitage? As a long, short building, it should work well as a banner, and the green colour is distinctive. Ground Zero (talk) 18:51, 13 March 2021 (UTC)