Warning: You are recreating a page that was previously deleted.
- Total idiocy at Wikipedia. Renaming, moving, etc. DO NOT DO THESE CHANGES AGAIN!!! Gamweb (talk) 07:15, 31 May 2015 (UTC)
- What are you trying to say? Can I help you? Hobbitschuster (talk) 14:01, 31 May 2015 (UTC)
- Cool your jets about lawsuits and read Wikivoyage:No real world threats. If anyone took a threat of a lawsuit seriously, you'd be blocked immediately. As for user and user talk pages with the "WT-en" prefix, they are the legacy user and user talk pages of Wikitravel users. Ikan Kekek (talk) 21:59, 31 May 2015 (UTC)
- The page spells out my name, which is unwanted exposure. It also lists me as an employee of a company where I no longer work. This needs to be resolved. My "current" profile page on WT does not have this info. Gamweb (talk) 12:43, 1 June 2015 (UTC)
Hello, Gamweb. I can see you're frustrated. Let me try to help. I did earlier try to explain what was going on (here), but perhaps I wasn't clear enough, or perhaps you missed the message.
Let me start from the beginning.
You have an account at Wikitravel, and you made contributions over there. When we, as a community, decided to migrate the content of Wikitravel over here to Wikivoyage, we faced the problem of needing to be able to properly attribute edits you (and others) made on Wikitravel. The way we did this was that we created a username called User:(WT-en) Gamweb and assigned all of your WT edits to that user. That way, when one looks at the history of an article, one would see that your edits were made by a user "Gamweb" and were originally made at Wikitravel's English version. Those (WT-en) usernames are locked down so that we can be sure of maintaining proper attribution for all those old edits.
You also started editing on English Wikipedia in 2007, using the same username. But your Wikipedia and Wikitravel accounts weren't linked in any way.
In October 2012, you found us here at our new home and created a new User:Gamweb account. If you'd been logged into English Wikipedia at the time, your new account here would have been linked to your English Wikipedia account. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. So Wikimedia had no way of knowing that User:Gamweb on Wikipedia and User:Gamweb on Wikivoyage were owned by the same person (you). So it treated the two accounts as completely unique.
That was fine until last month, when Wikimedia decided that everyone would have a global account. What's a global account? It's a single account that you can use to log into any Wikimedia Foundation wiki -- Wikipedia, Wikivoyage, Wikibooks, Commons, whatever. But to do that, they had to resolve name conflicts -- two accounts on different wikis with the same name. Since you created your Wikipedia account in 2007, it was treated as the primary account. Your account here at Wikivoyage (remember -- they didn't know they were both yours) was renamed to User:Gamweb~enwikivoyage to avoid naming conflicts.
You're now editing on the global version of your User:Gamweb account that you created on English Wikipedia in 2007. You should be able to log into User:Gamweb~enwikivoyage using the same password you used here before, if you wanted to. (You can't log into User:(WT-en) Gamweb because it's not a real account.)
I realize it's complicated, but I hope this information clears things up.
Now, what should you do about it?
When we first migrated over here, we were allowed to merge contributions that were assigned to (WT-en) accounts into real accounts here at Wikivoyage. For example, I was able to assign all of my '(WT-en) LtPowers' edits to my new Wikivoyage User:LtPowers account (which was attached to my Wikipedia account, as a global account). Unfortunately, for whatever reason, you weren't alerted to that possibility in 2012 when you signed up here. And now, we no longer have the option to merge those edits in. Rest assured that all of those edits you made over on Wikitravel are still credited to you, as per our license requirements.
As for your User:Gamweb~enwikivoyage account, I'm afraid there's nothing we can do here to merge it with User:Gamweb. There may be something that Wikimedia functionaries (called 'Stewards') can do to merge the accounts, but I don't know for sure. Your best bet would be to ask them over at meta:Steward requests.
If you have any further questions, or you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reply to this message, post in the Travellers' Pub, or message a Wikivoyage admin directly.
- I hereby request that this profile page be either deleted or updated. I do not have any edit control over it. It spells out my name (unwanted exposure) and lists me as an employee of a company I no longer work for. It may be replaced with my current profile page on WT which I do have direct control over. Gamweb (talk) 13:01, 1 June 2015 (UTC)
- Current profile:
- It spells out your name because that's how you requested on Wikitravel that you be credited. There's a spot for your "real name" in the site preferences, and we used that in order to maintain proper attribution of your edits. I'm sure you can understand how we need to remain on the right side of the legal requirements of our license.
- To that end, we need to ensure that all three of your accounts (Wikitravel's Gamweb, Gamweb here, and Gamweb~enwikivoyage) are all owned by the same person. If you could log onto your Wikitravel and Gamweb~enwikivoyage accounts and post a message stating that those three accounts all belong to the same user, then we can move forward with making sure everything is as squared-away as possible.
- I'll have to discuss with other admins how much leeway (legally) we have to modify the (WT-en) user page. Ideally we could at least redirect it to your current account, but I don't know if that will pass muster legally.
- -- Powers (talk) 16:38, 1 June 2015 (UTC)
- WikiTravel blocked my attempt to link to my WikiVoyage page (or even mention it), however, you can see that I have a link posted that points to my Wikipedia user page. Hopefully this can be recognized as the "same user." I'm not really worried about mergers or credit for past edits. Only control over the profile that is posted here. Gamweb (talk) 16:54, 1 June 2015 (UTC)