Welcome to my talk page! If you want to see older talk page discussions, go to my archive, which includes discussions from December 2017 through December 2018. Discussions from the beginning of November 2018 to the present are shown below. If you're unsure about something I did or you have some other question related to something I've done, etc., feel free to click the "Add topic" button at the top of this page and add what you want to say. Thanks!
Regarding this edit - WikiVisually is a site that reuses our content (AFAIK with proper attribution per the copyleft license). If you saw something on Wikivoyage that "looked similar to a phrase on WikiVisually", it's almost certain that the text originated here, not there. -- AndreCarrotflower (talk) 05:38, 7 January 2019 (UTC)
- OK, thanks for letting me know. --Comment by Selfie City (talk | contributions) 14:11, 7 January 2019 (UTC)
Thanks for the lede...
The rewordings attempted elsewhere in the article were so that 'flooding' in general could be covered. Not all flooding is 'flash' in the technical sense, but to a traveller, all floods are a potential issue, and trying to travel through flooded areas has related issues regardless of the type of flood. The rename suggestion was prompted by the comments in the pub, and on the section someone added to York. Floods in York aren't 'flash floods' as such.
Per the comments in the pub there are three types of 'flooding' mentioned :
- Rapid flash floods - which we have an article on.
- Storm surges, which typically affect coastal, tidal areas, as a consequence of a "sea swell" during a heavey storm..
- The 'winter' inland flood caused by prolonged rainfall, in an upland region which then travels downstream above the nominal cpacity of a river to cope with it.
To a traveller there are related risks associated with each, and I'm not sure they are that different, hence a query about widening the scope of the guide. ShakespeareFan00 (talk) 14:47, 9 January 2019 (UTC)
- Thanks for the explanation! I explained some of my views at Talk:Flash floods a day ago (I believe it was a day ago), and I am not sure if you have seen that yet. --Comment by Selfie City (talk | contributions) 01:37, 10 January 2019 (UTC)