North America > United States of America > Midwest > Ohio > Greater Columbus
Greater Columbus is in Ohio.
It consists of the following counties, Franklin County, Delaware County, Madison County, Union County, Knox County, Licking County, Fairfield County.
- Mount Vernon
- Gambier, home to Kenyon College
- Canal Winchester
- Battelle Darby Creek, Southwestern Franklin County. 6,600 acre park along the Big and Little Darby creeks. Cross-country skiing, Hiking trails, Pet trail, Picnicking, Canoeing, Fishing, Hunting, Ice-skating, Nature programs.
- Columbus and Franklin County Metro Parks Open daily, no admission charge, Wild Places and Open Spaces, one of Central Ohio’s largest landowners with fifteen parks, conveniently located throughout the area. Miles of trails through beautiful prairies, forests or wetlands. 2,200 species of plants and animals.
- Buckeye Lake
- Hocking Hills
- Alum Creek State Park, Delaware County, 3615 S. Old State Road, Delaware, 289 family campsites acres of water, 289 campsites, volleyball courts, beach, basketball, horseshoe courts, and playground equipment. Four acre dog park with water access, forty miles of horse/hiking trails along the lakeshore, primitive camping for horsepeople, two mountain bike trails, 3,387 acre lake with unlimited horsepower, hunting, fishing, picnic areas, tables, grills, restrooms, 3,000-foot beach, changing area and concession stand.
- Delaware State Park, Delaware County, 5202 U.S. 23 North, Delaware, PH:740-369-2761. 211 electric sites suitable for tents or trailers. Flush toilets, showers, laundry facilities and a dump station. Boat launch, beach, fishing. About 20 miles North of Columbus of SR 23.
Columbus has spawned tremendous investment in Franklin County and north into Delaware County At times they all appear to be one area, but they have different government entities providing different services.
Fairfield County is in Southeast Ohio. The county seat is Lancaster. It is at the edge of the Hocking Hills, one of the most scenic, natural areas in Ohio. There are more authentic covered bridges (18) in Fairfield County than any other Ohio county. At one time there were over 40 glass companies manufacturing beautiful art glass that is still appreciated and exhibited in the many museums and art galleries. Years ago there were many canals dissecting the counties terrain, which supported Ohio's early economy.
The easiest way into rural areas is by car. I 71 and I 70 intersect in Franklin County. SR-23 runs north and south through Delware County and through Delaware.
- Knox Area Transit, 25 Columbus Road, Mt. Vernon, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M–F 6AM–7PM, Sa 6AM–5PM. Door-to-door service in and out of Knox County. Call for rates.
- GoBus. Regular service to several destinations, including Columbus, Newark, and other locations in Ohio.
- Port Columbus International Airport (CMH IATA), 4600 International Gateway, ☎ . Port Columbus is served by all the major airlines, with direct flights to most major American cities.
- Cross Mound, one mile south of the Village of Tarlton on 16th road. 17 acre park with Native American cross-shaped mound. Each arm is in equal length and are aligned north, south, east, west. There are also several conacal mounds, a stone mound, picnic area and shelter. Hard to find.
- Lockville Park, One mile west of Carroll and two miles south of U.S. Rte. 33 on Pickeriton Road. Six acre park along the original Ohio & Erie Canal with three esets of intact stone locks built in 1832 and was in use until 1913.
- Museum at Buckeye Lake, Hebron (Ohio)
- Ohio Glass Museum Lancaster (Ohio)
- Olentangy Indian Caverns in Delaware. One hundred five feet deep, excellent exhibits of Indian artifacts.
- Columbus Museum of Art, 480 East Broad Street.
- The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, 9990 Riverside Dr..
- COSI, 333 West Broad Street..
- Franklin Park Conservatory.
- Ohio Craft Museum, 1665 West Fifth Avenue..
- Ohio Statehouse, downtown intersection of Broad/High St.
- Hocking Valley Canoe Livery, 31251 Chiefton Dr, Logan, ☎ . Logan - Off U.S. 33 Rockbridge. Canoeing, kayaking, rafting, mini-golf, Go-Kart rental, cottage rental.
- The Little Brown Jug in Delaware. Second leg of the pacing, Triple Crown harness racing, classic for 3-year-olds. Held at Delaware County Fairgrounds.
- 1 Sky Zone Columbus. - located in Lewis Center