Europe > Britain and Ireland > United Kingdom > Wales > Mid Wales > Powys
Towns and villages
- 1 Brecon (Welsh: Aberhonddu)
- 2 Builth Wells (Llanfair ym Muallt)
- 3 Crickhowell (Crug Hywel)
- 4 Hay-on-Wye (Y Gelli Gandryl)
- 5 Knighton (Tref-y-clawdd)
- 6 Llandrindod Wells (Llandrindod)
- 7 Llanidloes
- 8 Llanfair Caereinion
- 9 Llanwrtyd Wells – (Llanwrtyd) reputedly Britain's smallest town.
- 10 Machynlleth
- 11 Montgomery (Trefaldwyn)
- 12 Newtown (Y Drenewydd)
- 13 Presteigne (Llanandras)
- 14 Rhayader (Rhaeadr Gwy)
- 15 Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Prior to the integration of Wales with England, Powys was one of the historic Welsh Kingdoms.
In 1974 Powys re-emerged as a political entity, as a county. Powys is one of the geographically largest local authorities in Britain. It makes up the bulk of Mid Wales. The area is sparsely populated, and despite its size it has one of the smallest populations in Wales. Powys has come into, and remained in being as an administrative necessity since smaller counties would not be viable due to the insufficient economies of scale they would offer.
One of the main North-South roads in Wales, (the A470) passes through its area, as does the famous Heart of Wales Railway Line, as does the east-west A458 trunk road and Cambrian Railway Line.
All train services into and within the area are operated by Arriva Trains Wales.
Two lines serve the area, which do no connect with each other in Powys.
- The Centre for Alternative Technology Machynlleth. An internationally well known centre for the development of alternative technology.
- Craig y Nos Castle Pen y Cae, Swansea Valley Set in magnificent grounds, this fairy-tale castle and former home to the Italian opera diva, Adelina Patti, is a wonderful attraction.
- Brecknockshire Canal, Brecon canal basin.
- Powis Castle and Garden, near Welshpool.
The County has a number of Golf Courses, the isolated nature of the area means that they offer uncrowded golf, even by Welsh Standards!
- Cradoc Golf Club Brecon - This course host an annual competition of all the Welsh Club Champions.
- Glynneath Golf Club, Pont Nedd Fechan, south east of Pen y Cae.
- Llandrindod Wells Golf Club
- Llanymynech Golf Club, Pant, between Welshpool and Oswestry - Former US Master's Winner and Ryder Cup Captain Ian Woosnam learnt his game here. This course also holds the distinction that it is the only course in the world in two countries, it has 15 holes in Wales and 3 in Shropshire, England.