- I wondered about that, chose weiqi because "go" also has another meaning & a fairly important one for travel. WP's article is at w:Go (game); perhaps we should follow that usage? Pashley (talk) 06:45, 7 May 2020 (UTC)
How much detail?
In my view, this article should generally avoid going into detail about game rules or history; those are not relevant to travel & there are links to WP and Sensei's Library which cover them better than we could.
For example, User:The dog2 recently added a moderately long paragraph on scoring systems. It is all correct, but I want to delete it as unnecessary. You could also make case for removing things I've added, like the whole Go#Rank_and_handicap section or the discussion of costs of high-end equipment toward the end of Go#Buy.
- I think we need to explain the basic rules and scoring systems in order for this guide to be useful for potential readers who have never played or watched a game. Even if all you plan to do is watch a tournament when travelling in China or Japan, you'd be completely lost if you don't know the gist of the rules. In fact, we explain the rules in most of our sports articles, as well as our chess and xiangqi articles. That said, going into detailed discussions about strategy is certainly beyond our scope. The dog2 (talk) 04:07, 9 May 2020 (UTC)
- It looks good. You're probably more familiar with the game than I am, but I will say that it can be useful to have some important terminology explained in the guide. I think we should limit it to the terms a casual spectator will need to know when listening to television or radio commentary, or when reading a newspaper column about a game. The dog2 (talk) 05:25, 9 May 2020 (UTC)
I think this could be bumped from outline to usable, but as the main writer so far, I do not want to change it myself. Would someone else like to, or does anyone have objections?
There are two main things I think it would need to get to guide. One is some Korean entries under both Destinations and Buy, & for that matter both sections could use more entries in other countries. I also think it should have a Learn section; there are lots of schools and summer camps that might be mentioned. Pashley (talk) 12:58, 9 May 2020 (UTC)
- It also needs a banner. Anyone up for doing that? I'm pretty much a text-only guy.
- There are many paintings, mostly in traditional Chinese style, that might suit the purpose, but I do not know if any have a useful licence. Pashley (talk) 07:46, 10 May 2020 (UTC)