Waitsfield is a ski resort town in Central Vermont. Mad River Glen and Sugarbush are both nearby.
If you are flying to the area, you are most likely to fly into Burlington International Airport in Burlington. There are smaller state airports closer to Waitsfield, however. Those include Edward F. Knapp Airport in Barre and Morrisville-Stowe State Airport in Morrisville.
For getting in by car, the closest major interstate is I-89 which stretches from Concord, NH, to Burlington. Waitsfield lies on Vermont Route 100, a scenic and winding road that connects the northern and southern ends of the state. Waitsfield is about 10 miles south of I-89 at Duxbury, Vt.
A car is necessary to get around. A four-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicle is recommended in winter. The narrow, winding roads can be hazardous to drivers who are inexperienced driving on snow or ice. This is especially true when approaching from the West via Route 17 as it crosses the Green Mountains at Appalachian Gap. Large vehicles such as RVs are advised to seek another route.
Taxi cabs are less common in Vermont than in more populated areas.
- Mad River Glen, ☎ , fax: +1-802 496-3562, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Route 17 (about 5 mi. W of Waitsfield). One of the most unique ski areas in Vermont, Mad River Glen is cooperatively owned by skiers. $50 ($42 half day, $37 children and seniors). MRG is a no-snowboard mountain, and has a quaint but slow single chair to the top. When you finally arrive, the top is uncrowded because most people have already gone down. There are many glades and rugged trails. Highly recommeded by skibum.
- Sugarbush Ski Resort. In Warren. A major ski resort "voted #7 Ski Resort in the East" by Ski Magazine. Offers 111 trails set over 508 skiable acres, 16 lifts with an uphill capacity of 25,463 people per hour, 5 lodges, and over 2600' vertical drop. Sugarbush has an average yearly snowfall of 262" but when mother nature is not providing any snow, Sugarbush can provide snowmaking on 70% of its trails. Overall Sugarbush is worth the trip and is an experience you will never forget.
- Sugarbush Resort Golf Club, 1091 Golf Course Road. Warren. Golf is a three-season word here, and some even try out their swing while the skiing is still going strong. Tee off at a Robert Trent Jones, Sr. designed 18-hole course, and Golf School. 802-583-6725.
- Disc Golf Sugarbush Resort has two 18-hole disc golf courses featuring rolling terrain, spectacular scenery and an incredible variety of holes, allowing players of all ages to play at all skill level. The Peak Course requires a lift ride on the Super Bravo and plays downhill from there.
- Zipline Thrill seekers-soar through the air on the 800' Sugarbush Zipline at Lincoln Peak.
- Sailplane Rides Glide over the scenic Mad River Valley in the most silent, graceful and simple form of flight. Sugarbush Soaring, Warren-Sugarbush airport, Warren. +1 802-496-2290
- Canoeing and Kayaking Find great water in April, May and June, Winooski River in Spring, summer and fall. Canoes, kayaks and tubes can be rented at Clearwater Sports. +1 802-496-2708
- Horseback Riding and Lessons at Vermont icelandic Horse Farm Offers rides year round for those age 10 and above. WInter riding is truly an unforgettable experience. choose from 1 hr, 2 hr, or 1/2 day rides daily. They also offer full day rides and multiple day packages. N.Fayston Rd, Waitfield. +1 802-496-7141.
- Rent a bike Bikes can be rented at Sugarbush Adventure Gear Shop 802-583-6530. Clearwater Sports, Rt.100, Waitsfield 802-496-2708. And you can even get astride bikes built for two at Inverness Ski Shop, Rt. 100, Waitsfield +1 802-496-3343.
- The Hide Away Inn and Restaurant, ☎ . Enjoy delicious, carefully prepared American cuisine. The Hyde Away has worked hard over the years to make their restaurant the kind of place that you would like to go to. Great food. The freshest ingredients. Affordable prices.
The atmosphere throughout the Hyde Away is comfortable and unpretentious. Enjoy the casual dining room, eat on one of their outdoor decks, or in the tavern. They are open for dinner seven nights a week. Dining begins at 5:30 pm in our dining room and 4:30 pm in the tavern.
- The Common Man, 3209 German Flats Road, Warren, ☎ . Over 150 years old, the soaring hand hewn rafters of the timbered interior are lit by crystal chandeliers, soft candlelight, and a huge open-hearth manor fireplace in season. Dining is elegantly casual and casually elegant, definitely romantic, and is applauded by Vermonters and visitors alike. The restaurant has earned scores of prestigious awards. It is not associated with the chain with the same name in NH. (WHH comment: our favorite restaurant when we get a chance for a nice dinner out, and also a favorite for our guests. Reservations are essential at weekends and on holiday weeks.)
Evenings of operation vary seasonally - usually closed Sundays and Mondays. Price for dinner for 2 including a glass of wine and dessert is about $120.
Although it is a small town of about 2,000 residents, Waitsfield's proximity to Mad River Glen and Sugarbush ski resorts means that there are many lodging options when you travel here. The variety of accommodations includes bed and breakfasts, inns, motels, hotels and vacation homes.
- The Waitsfield Inn, ☎ , toll-free: . Route 100. A popular inn in town.
- Slide Brook Lodge and Tavern, 3180 German Flats Rd Warren Vt (one mile from Sugarbush Ski Resort in the heart of the Mad River Valley), ☎ . Ten room ski lodge with a relaxed and fun atmosphere. The rooms are comfortable. Common rooms with TVs, wireless internet and seven-person hot tub for guest use. There is a beautiful tavern that is open to the public. $50-120, spring and summer rates $80 plus winter rates.