The Africa Expedition is a Wikivoyage Expedition to promote and coordinate collaboration to improve Wikivoyage's articles about Africa. It is designed to support new contributors, including those who are part of Free Knowledge Africa.
Knowledge about places in Africa is welcome, because some articles are lacking in information. If you'd like to join the effort, add your signature to the bottom of the page, or just plunge forward.
Some of the best articles in Wikivoyage are written by people who want to share what they know about their homes with people who want to visit. Wikivoyage's coverage of African destinations and travel topics could be better, and it will be better if Africans tell the world what they know about their countries, cities, towns and villages.
- To promote the use and contributions to Wikivoyage by Africans.
- To improve Wikivoyage articles on African travel, geographic information, sports, cultural and tourist sites.
- To partner with organizations and bodies involved in African culture, travel and tourism towards showcasing its resources.
- To generate and promote free knowledge about African culture, travel and tourism.
How you can participate
You are invited to plunge forward and make changes to articles about Africa (or to any page on the site, including this one). Just click the Edit this page link, and you'll get a Web form that lets you change the contents of the page. Hit Save page, and your version is what's shown on the site. If you're nervous, feel free to practice on the graffiti wall.
This most important thing is to add content to articles: pick a place and describe what there is to see and do, to buy, to watch and drink, and where to sleep. To start, don't worry about making mistakes — there are plenty of Wikivoyagers who can 'tidy up' if you don't get things quite right.
Pictures are really an effective way of showing travellers what a place has to offer. The easiest way is to find a picture on the Wikimedia Commons. If you want to add your own pictures, upload them there so that all of the Wikimedia projects can use them.
If you find yourself getting more involved, you may want to read our tips for new contributors. Our list of goals and non-goals will give you a good idea of what we're trying to do with Wikivoyage. If you've got some specific info you want to share, we have some guidelines on where you can stick it (pun intended). You can also read our manual of style for more clues as to how to edit and layout guides, but don't worry too much about that stuff if you'd rather spend your time just adding content.
- Destination articles in Africa
- Historical sites in Africa — help tavellers see beyond game parks and beaches to learn about Africa's rich history
- Phrasebooks#Africa — help travellers learn key phrases in African languages
- Religion and spirituality#African and African Diaspora religions — help travellers learn more about the indigenous religions of Africa
As we've said, the most important thing is to add content, so don't worry too much about getting things exactly right. But if you want to learn more about how Wikivoyage works, we have a wealth of resources available to help. And you can always ask questions on the talk page of this expedition.
- About Wikivoyage
- Welcome, newcomers
- FAQ — fearfully anticipated questions... and answers.
- Copyleft — information about the license and philosophy that guides this site
Finding travel information
- Finding travel information (part of the Welcome, newcomers page)
- List of itineraries
- Directory of travel topics
- Quick contribution guide — eager to get contributing? A guide to making a useful contribution to Wikivoyage in just a few minutes
- Tips for new contributors — useful information for first-time contributors
- Manual of style — spelling, layout, formatting rules and article skeletons
- Policies and guidelines — an index of all Wikivoyage policy guidelines
- Ways to help Wikivoyage — writers, editors, and photographers are all needed
- How to — step-by-step instructions for specific tasks
- Software features — guides to using MediaWiki functions
- Travellers' pub — for general discussions about Wikivoyage
- Wikivoyage:Arrivals lounge — a place for new contributors to post questions about Wikivoyage and get responses from experienced contributors.
- Wikivoyage jargon — explains some of the abbreviations, words and phrases used in discussions, edit summaries etc.
African local experts
Non-African project supporters
(Experienced Wikivoyage contributors who will assist by answering questions and formatting contributions.)