A Wikivoyage Expedition is a special project for Wikivoyage articles or images. (Sure, we could call them "projects", but what fun is that?) Expeditions help Wikivoyagers collaborate and organize around certain subjects, be they based on shared interests, geography, or shared skills.
- Airport Expedition — exploring how to best cover airport information on Wikivoyage
- Banner Expedition — exploring how to use page banners on Wikivoyage
- Climate Expedition — figuring out how to present useful climate information in articles
- Country surgeon Expedition — creating well crafted "See sections" for all country articles
- Dynamic maps Expedition — collaborating on tools to generate maps dynamically, especially interactive maps
- LGBT Expedition — improving coverage related to LGBT travel
- Mapmaking Expedition — determining map file formats and mapmaking collaboration techniques, and discussing other issues for cartography
- Offline reader Expedition — seeking ways to download articles to a portable computer or PDA
- Phrasebook Expedition — exploring the place of phrasebooks and organizing their development
- Prose Improvement Expedition — improving the written style of Wikivoyage's articles
- Regions map Expedition — promoting the use and creation of regions maps, especially where they are needed most
- Search Expedition — improving Wikivoyage's search ranking, cross-linking and usage among travellers
- Tourism Bureau Expedition — coordinating cooperation with tourism bureaus and convention and visitor bureaus
- World Heritage Expedition — updating and completing the UNESCO World Heritage Site list
- Brazil Expedition — dedicated to preparing our coverage of Brazil for the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Summer Olympics
- India Expedition — dedicated to bringing the most visible articles about India up to at least an acceptable standard of usability, and where possible, guide status
- Germany Expedition
Starting a new Expedition
If you have a good idea for a new Expedition, here are the steps necessary to organize it.
- Make sure that the Expedition complies with Wikivoyage's goals. Will the Expedition help us reach our mission of creating a free, complete, up-to-date and reliable world-wide travel guide? Or is it a slippery slope into non-travel-oriented distraction?
- Propose the Expedition in the travellers' pub and get some feedback from other Wikivoyagers.
- Create a page in the Wikivoyage namespace called "Name of expedition Expedition" (note capitalization). On that page, give a rationale for why the Expedition is needed, and define the concrete goals of the Expedition.
- If additional pages are needed for the Expedition — for example, template pages — link to them from the Expedition page.
The following are previous expeditions that have been deemed not useful or no longer have support:
- Cultural Expedition – There is already a place within articles for information about local culture, do's and don'ts, etc.
- News Expedition — Promoting the creation of high-quality news for the Main Page.
- RDF Expedition – Exploring uses of RDF for Wikivoyage.
- Routes Expedition – Create articles about routes and destinations available along the way, not in itinerary format.
- Education Expedition — using Wikivoyage as a teaching and learning tool for students
- Writers' Expedition — Wikivoyage needs writers
- Fellow traveller Expedition — coordinating and cooperating with other projects
- Access Expedition — explored how to enhance the information in Wikivoyage for disabled and physically impaired Wikivoyagers . Dormant since 2012.
- Rail travel Expedition — Was aimed at improving Wikivoyage's rail travel coverage. No activity since April 2013.
- Business listings reliability Expedition — finding ways to make listings more reliable. Dormant since 2012.
- Cruising Expedition — developing formats and policies for articles on cruising on small craft. No activity since April 2013.
Archived Geographical Expeditions
- Wikivoyage:Florida Expedition — was dedicated to achieving guide status for Florida. Dormant since 2012.
- Maryland Expedition — was dedicated to improving Maryland beyond guide status. Minor updates in August 2013. Otherwise nothing since 2012.
- Poland Expedition — was dedicated to achieving guide status for Poland. No real updates since 2012.