It would be good if a map of Hangzhou was provided.
I was going to externally link one, but then I read the below wikiTravel suggestion...here's the link if somebody wants to figure out how to insert it: http://hot.dahangzhou.com/top/map/
- See Project:Mapmaking_Expedition for discussion of mapmaking.
- See Project:External_links for why we might not want to link to external maps.
- 1 Link spam
- 2 Removed restaurants
- 3 Jerry the taxi driver
- 4 Unsure about this review of the Hangzhou zoo
- 5 A comment on the above
- 6 Buy Section
- 7 Hotel touting
- 8 Hospitals
- 9 Bad eat listings
- 10 Location Updates
- 11 Non-compliant redistribution?
- 12 Future attraction?
I feel the Learn section was link spam -- it contained nothing but links to two schools. So I deleted it. --(WT-en) Rogerhc 15:04, 21 July 2006 (EDT)
- What else would the Learn section be for, but to list university, schools or other locations where you can learn things in the area? Normally a little blurb describing the school is nice, but it doesn't always happen. The Big City template's description of that section is:
- If there are opportunities for travellers to study in this city -- from language to cooking classes up to full university courses -- add that here.
- I've restored (and formatted) the section for now because I don't think it was link spam. I'd also like to understand your opinion on these links a bit more so please don't feel like I am slighting you. -- (WT-en) Ilkirk 15:44, 21 July 2006 (EDT)
- Jpatokal - My first edit on wikivoyage. I am sorry did not post explanations. All deleted restaurants have closed. Is this the place to add more restaurants and bars etc? I could put 30 or 50 more up on this page. What is a good number? (WT-en) Morehangzhou 01:37, 3 June 2007 (EDT)
- Any time you remove something, it's a good idea to explain why in the Summary field just above the "Save page" button. Simply typing "closed restaurants" is enough. We don't want lists of 30-50 items, because that's just too much for travelers to choose from. Instead pick the best or most popular ones in each category, or the ones that visitors would be most likely to enjoy. - (WT-en) Todd VerBeek 11:59, 3 June 2007 (EDT)
- Noted. Thanks for advice. If you need anything specific to be done, let me know.(WT-en) Morehangzhou 03:08, 4 June 2007 (EDT)
Jerry the taxi driver
Is this worthy of inclusion, even after rewording? Cabbies who speak English even on this level are after all pretty rare in China... (WT-en) Jpatokal 03:21, 23 September 2007 (EDT)
I found maybe I'm first Hangzhou taxi driver at here. I search my English name use Google and found this page, it's my lucky day! you know, I'm only one taxi driver who can speak English and also have guide licence in Hangzhou, most of foreign companys in Hangzhou all like use my service, if you want know me more, please check my homepage: www.hangzhoutaxi.com.
Unsure about this review of the Hangzhou zoo
I'm unsure whether we should be keeping this review of the Hangzhou zoo:
- Hangzhou Zoo, (杭州动物园 Hángzhōu Dòngwùyuán). It has pandas and everything and is conveniently located just south of the lake, but it is not recommended to visit most zoos in China, as the animals are exploited and treated poorly (generally speaking). At least stay away from the dog exhibit. This zoo is definitely one of the worst ones in China. Besides a few animals which have good cages (mostly water-animals) it has terrible conditions for the panda, most bears and other larger animals like the elephants. Still, they made improvements compared to a few years ago, and it seems it's mostly the missing support of larger investments that seems to hinder further development in a better zoo. The entrance fee includes a circus-style animal show with tigers, lions, bears and elephants that is particularly entertaining for children (if a little depressing for adults).
Although the review is negative, (as it should be), if we don't recommend people visit this zoo, should we really have it listed in the first place? Thoughts? --14:31, 21 October 2008 (EDT)MarinaK.
Either put it into a "Don't" section, or leave it in. It is useful info after all.
- we should just give the facts - let the traveller choose. not visiting doesn't necessarily improve conditions.. i've tweaked it a bit. --(WT-en) Inas 01:30, 3 May 2009 (EDT)
My family visited the zoo yesterday, September 3, 2010 and we had a lovely time. The animal habitats are not perfect, but are they in any zoo anywhere? We found the meandering paths and environment a good activity for our three year old son, who loved the alligators and bears. The one caution I would mention is the central animal arena where they put on hourly shows with sad animals doing silly circus tricks. Other than that, the zoo was a nice experience and we would recommend if for families with kids.
A comment on the above
If I had'nt read the above I proberly would have brought my kids to the zoo. When the Zoo is'nt mentioned as "a place to go", I just thougt, it was too ordinery to be mentioned. The info can be useful in two ways. As an recommendation to stay away or be used as an appeal to visit, see the horrible conditions for yourself, and act on them.
I modified the Silk Market to reflect the actual name of the place you want to go to as well as the time. Couldn't find the times it was open until I actually got there...at 7pm :(. Also I included the Zhejiang International Hotel as a land mark for when your walking on the road and I found that taxi drivers can find that better. -- Panchovillados
This is possibly the toutiest "Sleep" section I've seen anywhere in Wikivoyage. It will take a lot of work to detout it, and I wouldn't trust any of the listings with a 10-foot pole. Please help edit the section! Thanks so much, everyone. (WT-en) Ikan Kekek 06:11, 16 April 2012 (EDT)
- Saw this after I shortened the history of each. I think the only relevance of these listings is whether you can get treatment or not. Probably nothing else for the healthy visitor. Andrewssi2 (talk) 06:41, 8 June 2014 (UTC)
Bad eat listings
Mai zhou dongbei restaurant(脉舟东北风味店)special cuisine: mutton chop address:Wenhua st.;phone call:888507382
New deer restaurant(新白鹿餐厅) special cuisine:egg and duck, shrimp address:Longyou st.;Phone call:879220713、
Jiu mei restaurant(九妹辣子村）special cuisine:hot chicken,fish for three ways to deal with; address:Daguan st. Room 37;Phone call:880782774、
Guan jiang restaurant(冠江楼) special cuisine:Lanxi food;address:He fang st. Room 37Phone call:877857785、
Jiutou bird restaurant(九头鸟饭店)special cuisine:Hubei food;address:Jiaogong st.Phone call:875110576、
Guxiangzai(古香斋) special cuisine:mutton food Address: jingzhou st(number66 bus's final across)
Baolaina restaurant(宝来纳巴西烤肉) special cuisine:58 yuan per person;address:Wenhui st315;Phone call:85394888-3378/38088、
Old shengxian restaurant(老神仙面馆) special cuisine:Chinese cabbage,mother's screw,water fish,fish and mutton;address:fengqi st.phonecall:850651219、
Zhanghuli(张胡李）Address:Gaoying st.phone call:0571-87832330
Haining restaurant：（海宁阿盛煲）special cuisine: haining food;address:hedong st.Room 66;phone call:8513501310、
zhenyuantang(真缘堂（中山店）)special cuisine: six fish, hot rabbit,hot chicken;address:zhongshanzhong st,room number 106;phonecall:8702456011、
Xingyue reataurant(星悦小吃)special cuisine:chicken;address:youdian st.
Yueguang restaurant(明光小吃)special cuisine:oil and shrimp,screw,duck;address:meihua st,youshengguan ro.room number29 and 31
I used this article to help explore Hangzhou over the weekend so wanted to say thanks and give a little back so I've added all the places I found + some I have on my local map.
A couple of newby questions if you don't mind:
- How do you leave comments about edits in the history
- I accidentally made a load of edits without being signed in, is it possible to assign them to myself after the fact?
A short summary of my changes so far:
Mostly they are location placements on the dynamic map. I've tried to make some small edits to keep the sentences flowing.
I changed 'Kipple' to 'Peak that flew from Afar' as that's what the description and chinese characters seemed to suggest the original author was talking about.
I removed some duplicates for the Baochu Pagoda as well
+ I'll try and add a few more by the end of the week
- Thanks for your edits! I was there for a couple of days last year and made some of the edits around the lake.
- How do you leave comments about edits in the history - You make them in the 'Summary' text field directly under the 'Editing' text box
- is it possible to assign them to myself after the fact? - No, although if you felt strongly about it then you can reverse the previous edits you made and make them again (assuming no-one else has also subsequently made edits) --Andrewssi2 (talk) 10:08, 28 April 2015 (UTC)
- Indeed, thanks for adding to and updating the article. As Andrew just said, you can add comments about your edits in the Summary field right below the editing field. Comments are welcome, but optional.
- Ps. please sign your comments on talk pages; it makes it easier for everyone to follow discussions. To do that, just type ~~~~ (that's four tildes right after each other) at the end of your comment ϒpsilon (talk) 10:13, 28 April 2015 (UTC)
- Concerned Wikivoyagers, please direct your comments and ideas to this thread. Best wishes, --ThunderingTyphoons! (talk) 19:59, 18 March 2018 (UTC)
Curvaceous algae-covered towers proposed for Hangzhou Pashley (talk) 12:00, 12 May 2018 (UTC)