In the 18, 2019 version of this article, there were only two regions: North Henan and South Henan. As a result of this edit, there are now five regions: North Henan, South Henan, West Henan, East Henan and Central Henan. Are these regions needed on Wikivoyage? At present, North Henan#Cities lists 6 cities, but only 3 are blue links and none of the "Other destinations" are blue links. South Henan#Cities has but 3 cities listed, with only one being a blue link, and its "Other destination" is also red. West Henan lists 3 blue-linked cities and no "Other destinations". East Henan lists 3 cities, only 2 of them blue-linked, and no "Other destinations". Same with Central Henan.
At the moment, therefore, it would appear that this division into 5 region articles is premature. So then my question, especially to new user Hesida2000 (a hearty welcome!), who plunged forward to unilaterally change the regional structure of Henan on this site, is: How many articles about cities and other destinations do you think each of these regions merits under this site's "What is an article?" guidelines, and how many of those do you plan on starting? I would also solicit the views of Granger, Pashley, The dog2, PlyrStar93, GeoEvan, OhanaUnited, Traveler100 and anyone else who might know something about Henan.
- Thank you for your welcome! The reasons I subdivide Henan Province into 5 regions are:
- 1. Chinese Wikivoyage divides Henan into the same 5 regions, except Pingdingshan, which belongs to Central Henan in Chinese Wikivoyage but West Henan in English Voyage. The subordination of Pingdingshan can be discussed.
- 2. Traditionally Henan is also divided into these 5 regions. There are many books discussing about this, for example ISBN:9787303105168, which discusses every region with one chapter.
- 3. The cities I list are only prefecture-level cities, each of which has population comparable with one state in US. There will be more cities if county-level cities and towns ("town" in Chinese definition, by western standard they are also cities) are included. I did not add them yet, and will do that later.
- 4. Personally, it is very strange to list my hometown Shangqiu as a South Henan city, and I am sure all Shangqiuness will never accept that. This is my motivation to do all the editings.
- I don't know much about the internal geography of Henan, but I think probably all or almost all Chinese provinces have enough destinations to eventually support at least five subregions. For comparison, Henan has an area comparable to Florida and a population larger than Germany. (That doesn't prove anything necessarily, but it does suggest that having five subregions isn't excessive.) —Granger (talk · contribs) 15:39, 30 April 2019 (UTC)
- Unfortunately, I'm not that familiar with Henan, and I've never been there before. I know it's famous for the Shaolin Temple, but that's it. My family, like that of most ethnic Chinese from Southeast Asia, originally came from southern China, so I know more about that region than of a northern province like Henan. The dog2 (talk) 17:27, 30 April 2019 (UTC)