Formatting and language conventions
For articles about Liberia, please use the 12-hour clock to show times, e.g. 9AM-noon and 6PM-midnight.
Please show prices in this format: L$100 — not $100LD, nor LRD 100. Although "$" is commonly used to denote local dollars, Wikivoyage uses this notation for clarity.
Please use American spelling.
|This article contains content imported from the English Wikipedia article on Liberia. View the page revision history for a list of the authors.|
"Handshaking is the normality, usually followed by a finger snap"
Is this vandalism? Snapping your fingers as part of a greeting? Could someone please explain or revert. Thanks. Bob
- http://sixdegreesnorth.blogspot.com/2007/10/handshakes-and-applauding.html. -- (WT-en) Ryan • (talk) • 11:55, 27 June 2011 (EDT)
Removed someone killed at Mamba Point
"Also keep in mind that one person was killed at the Mamba Point Hotel, and you should exercise security and be in the hotel room before it gets dark."
I removed the line above as it's not necessarily relevant. The murder took place already on the 24th of May, 2004, when John Auffrey, the head of the American Military Team for restructuring the Army, was murdered in his hotel room. Apparently at the same time Sierra Leone's war crime prosecutor, David Crane, was also staying at the hotel, and the killers had mistaken Auffrey for Crane.
Recent pictures from Liberia
I recently traveled to Liberia on a research project. During the trip I gathered a few photos which might be interesting to some. If interested, they can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kippster/sets/72157594330811969/
It is just the Monrovia area...
Liberia has fifteen (15) political sub-divisions, known as counties:
- Grand Bassa
- Grand Cape Mount
- Grand Gedeh
- Grand Kru
- River Cess
- River Gee
I removed this administrative division list, since that's not a useful travel subdivision, and is too fine-grained anyway for such a small country. Ideally, the first travel division of the country would probably be more like 2-5 regions. --(WT-en) Peter Talk 11:35, 15 March 2008 (EDT)
For 2-5 regions suggested above, I propose the following three regions:
- The easiest seems to be to use the rivers:
- Southern Liberia (South of the Cestos River)
- Central Liberia (Between Cestos River and Saint Paul River/Nianda River)
- Northern Liberia (north of the Saint Paul River and Nianda River)
The simplest distribution map to see how this would look that I can find is here  With the exception of a small portion of Bong County, the rivers also follow the political borders.  The mountain ranges are also divided by each of these regions.
I was going to use the mountain ranges (Putu Range in the south and Wologizi and Wonegizi Ranges in the north), but that would require extra regions, like a coastal region, and either separating the north into two slim regions or coming up with name that combines the mountain ranges, so I think the above works better. (WT-en) ChubbyWimbus 00:21, 26 January 2010 (EST)
- That all looks very sensible. Thanks for this and all your contributions to African regionalisation. --(WT-en) Burmesedays 00:36, 26 January 2010 (EST)
- I agree, looks like a good plan. (WT-en) AHeneen 02:36, 26 January 2010 (EST)
- Done. That was a nice one to draw. And I know a lot more about Liberia than I knew 24 hours ago. --(WT-en) Burmesedays 08:37, 30 January 2010 (EST)
Regions a third time
Why do we have regions? We have six articles for the whole country, all of which are linked from the country article. None of the region articles have any content. I propose to remove the unnecessary regions until such time as there is more content and more articles. The existing content would be commented out so that it could be easily restored if more city or other destination articles were created. Ground Zero (talk) 21:42, 13 July 2021 (UTC)
- In really obvious cases like this, I think you can just act and note what you did and why on the talk page. Ikan Kekek (talk) 21:53, 13 July 2021 (UTC)
- Thanks, @Ikan Kekek: Guyana was a bit of a test case to see if there is any objections to merging regions into a country article. I don't want to push through a bunch of these mergers and gave to undo them if there are objections. I'll wait a week on this. Ground Zero (talk) 00:29, 14 July 2021 (UTC)