Old discussions have been moved to the archive
I think it's high time some one split this city up into disrticts. Otherwise it'll be the same old story as it was (no, IS) with Bangalore and Chennai, there'll be 100 See listings, 200 Do's and the article will be stuck in usable status.
Here's my proposal
Well, I was sorta working towards that in the "see" section... the subdivisions I made there were how I was thinking... not too different from what you're doing -
- BBD Bagh
- Salt Lake City - Maybe Kolkata/East is better
p.s... it's probably better to work this out first and wait more than 1 day before creating the articles, in case there's any opposition or suggestions, etc... but thanks for pushing this along! Anyone else care to comment? (WT-en) - Cacahuate 03:39, 7 March 2007 (EST)
- Hey, I've already gone and districtified the stuff because no one was bothering to reply (so I though I'd plunge forward!)
P.S. I'm from Calcutta (I don't live there now but I was born there and still go there twice/thrice a year) and I don't think that Chowringhee would be a good district, it's a street that runs paralled to the Maidan on the Eastern Side. BBD Bagh and Central Calcutta is included in Esplanade (the more generic term) so I think my break-up is quite OK :) (WT-en) Upamanyuwikivoyage • ( Talk ) • ( (WT-en) Travel ) • 07:26, 8 March 2007 (EST) PPS. Hey Cacahuate, please check out Shimla now and gimme some feedback!
I don't know much about Calcutta, so all I can say is, if it is natural, unambiguous and covers the whole of Cal, then we've got the right districtification. — (WT-en) Ravikiran 07:37, 8 March 2007 (EST)
- It is all 3. So then that means you're fine with it ... (WT-en) Upamanyuwikivoyage • ( Talk ) • ( (WT-en) Travel ) • 07:42, 8 March 2007 (EST)
- I know a little bit about Kolkata (though am far from an expert) and the the districtification seems fine to me. (WT-en) WindHorse 11:14, 8 March 2007 (EST)
- No. Howrah is a separate city and is in the Howrah district. The city of Calcutta lies within the N. 24 Parganas, S. 24 Parganas and Calcutta Minicipal districts. Howrah should have a separate article. It's also on the other side of the river, to the west. There's no denying the fact that it is part of the Cal Megapolis, but that stretches till the harbor and as far as Kaharagpur (over 100km w. of Howrah). We can make that a sub-region of West Bengal and Howrah can fall within it. (WT-en) Upamanyuwikivoyage • ( Talk ) • ( (WT-en) Travel ) • 04:35, 9 March 2007 (EST)
So are the Planetarium, Indian Museum and St Paul's in Esplanade or Maidan? I would've thought Maidan, especially since Park St seems to be included in Maidan, and these sights (I think) are inbetween Park St and the park itself (WT-en) - Cacahuate 20:45, 9 March 2007 (EST)
- Yes, sir, you got two out of three, but the Indian Museum is Esplanade as it north of Park Street, near the junction with Sudder Street (if my my memory doesn't fail me). I'll move the other two over to Maidan. (WT-en) WindHorse 10:33, 10 March 2007 (EST)
still needs clarification
Let's finally get this mess cleaned up. I made a (very raw) sketch based on the outlines discussed so far: map-outlines
1. Where are actually city boundaries? So where do the fringes end?
Answer: Depends, Kolkata city endds roughly on the EM bypass to the east, the Hooghly river to the west, DUmDUm to the north and maybe, Tollygunj to the south. Kolkata Metropolitan area, comprises of everything such as Salt Lake City, New Town and Rajarhat, parts of Howrah.
Maidan is exactly not a single place. Parkstreet is a long road linking the Park Circus 7 point crossing to the Maidan and esplanade. Although visitors are more interested to the area near the Maidan/Esplanade.
Where the Park Street meets the Chowranghee Road.
Park Circus is neither in the above. Near to the eastern area of the city, linking the science city, the Eastern Metropolitan Bypass(EM Bypass) and the Salt Lake City.
5. East of Maidan: Where does Maidan's east end? Gopalpur, Rajahat, Garden Reach - Are they Southern fringes?
Maidan Ends with Victoria Memorial building. Rajarhat is East kolkata Township, Garden Reach is the docks at the south fringes.
6. Tangra - where to put it?
Tangra is the East kolkata.
7. Kasba, Haltu - where to put them?
Kasba, Haltu are the southern fringes. Mostly not in the Kolkata Municipality.
8. Is it ok to throw "East Calcutta Township"/... in one pot with Saltlake?
No, Salt Lake City is around for neary 3 decades now, East Calcutta Township is comparatively new.
9. Dum Dum into East Kolkata with Saltlake? Including North Dum Dum and the airport?
DumDum is actually North Calcutta, please dont mix DumDum with DumDum Airport.
10. Where is the Northern boarder of North (and East) districts / the Southern boarder of the Northern fringes?
Northern Border for the Metropolitan Area streches upto maybe Barrackpore(military barracks), Southern extends till Joka (with the IIMs and many resorts).
Okay, I think that's it - too many questions, I know ... and I apologize for that. So just answer some question if you can
to 2. Right now it is in both district articles (although more in Maidan).
to 3. I would leave Eden Garden with Maidan, as it is kind of part of the Maidan sport/park areas.
(WT-en) Sebindi 07:35, 4 April 2010 (EDT)
- I can't be of any help at all I am afraid as I know zilch about Kolkata. I would suggest though that as the districtification has been pending for years now, wait about 14 days for comments, and if none come just plunge forward with your own plan, always updating the intended scheme here. --(WT-en) Burmesedays 12:19, 4 April 2010 (EDT)
Giant airline/busline lists
As a general rule we do not attempt to maintain detailed transport schedules/routes, and we discourage giant lists of things, so I have removed the following from the article. Texugo (talk) 18:38, 18 June 2014 (UTC)
Scheduled Passenger Airlines
- Air India (All India, Kathmandu, Yangon and Dhaka).
- Jet Airways (All India, Bangkok and Dhaka).
- Indigo (All India, Bangkok).
- SpiceJet (All India).
- Emirates (Dubai).
- Qatar Airways (Doha).
- Singapore Airlines, SilkAir (Singapore).
- Dragonair (Hong Kong).
- China Easter Airlines (Kunming).
- Thai Airways (Bangkok).
- Thai AirAsia (Bangkok).
- AirAsia (Kuala Lumpur).
- Druk Air (Paro).
- Biman Bangladesh (Dhaka).
- United Airways (Dhaka).
- GoAir (All India)
Trains originating from Howrah Station are :
AC Duronto Express
- Howrah Mumbai CST Duronto Express
- Howrah-Pune Duronto Express
- Howrah - Yesvantpur Duronto Express
- Howrah Digha Duronto Express
- Howrah - New Delhi Duronto Express
- Howrah - Ranchi Shatabdi Express
- Howrah - New Jalpaiguri Shatabdi Express
- Howrah - Puri Shatabdi Express
Jan Shatabdi Express
- Howrah-Patna Jan Shatabdi Express
- Howrah-Bhubaneswar Jan Shatabdi Express
- Howrah-Barbil Jan Shatabdi Express
- Howrah-Puri Garib Rath Express
Double Decker Express
- Howrah - Dhanbad Double Decker Express
- Howrah - New Delhi Yuva Express
- Howrah-Secunderabad Falaknuma Express
- Poorva Express (via Gaya)
- Poorva Express(via Patna)
- Howrah-Chennai Central Coromandel Express
- Howrah-New Delhi Express
- Howrah Mail via Nagpur
- Howrah-Jammu Tawi Himgiri Express
- Howrah-Mumbai LTT Jnaneshwari Express
- Howrah-Mumbai CST Gitanjali Express
- Howrah-Mumbai CST Weekly Superfast Express
- Howrah-Mumbai LTT Samarsata Express
- Mumbai Mail via Allahabad
- Howrah-Pune Azad Hind Express
- Howrah-Puri Dhauli Express
- Howrah-Tatanagar Steel Express
- Howrah-Titlagarh Ispat Express
- Howrah-Indore Shipra Express
- Howrah-Gandhidham Garbha Express
- Howrah-Sambalpur Express
- Howrah-Asansol Agniveena Express
- Howrah-Dhanbad Coalfield Express
- Howrah-Purulia Express
- Howrah-Purulia Lalmati Express
- Howrah-Jabalpur Shaktipunj Express
- Howrah-Jamalpur Express
- Howrah-Dibrugarh Kamrup Express
- Howrah-Delhi/Rajgir Janta Express
- Samleshwari Express
- Howrah-Hatia Express
- Howrah-Dehradun Doon Express
- Howrah-Puri Sri Jagannath Express
- Howrah-Kathgodam Bagh Express
- Howrah-Malda Town Intercity Express
- Howrah-Ranchi Intercity Express via Asansol.
- Howrah-Ranchi Intercity Express via Tatanagar
- Howrah-Azimganj Kaviguru Express
- Howrah-Bhopal Express
- Howrah-Hyderabad East Coast Express
- Howrah-Bolpur Kaviguru Express
- Howrah-Siuri Hool Express
- Howrah-Dhanbad Black Diamond Express
- Howrah-Azimganj Gandevta Express
- Howrah-Digha Kandari Express
- Howrah-Vasco-da-Gama Amravathi Express
- Howrah-Siuri Intercity Express
Trains originating from Kolkata Station are:
- Kolkata-Patna Garib Rath
- Kolkata - Guwahati Garib Rath Express
- Kolkata-Amritsar Superfast Express
- Kolkata-Bikaner Pratap Superfast Express
- Kolkata-Delhi Lal Quila Express
- Kolkata - Haldibari InterCity Express
- Maithili Express
- Kolkata-Jogbani Express
- Kolkata-Jaynagar Weekly Express
- Kolkata-Sitamarhi Mithilanchal Express
- Kolkata-Radhikapur Express
- Kolkata-Gorakhpur Poorvanchal Express via Muzaffarpur
- Kolkata-Gorakhpur Poorvanchal Express via Ballia
- Kolkata-Gorakhpur Poorvanchal Express via Narkatiaganj
- Kolkata-Jammu Tawi Express
- Kolkata-Muzaffarpur Tirhut Express
- Kolkata-Giridih Link Express
- Kolkata-Berhampore Court Dhanya Dhaanya Express
- Kolkata-Balurghat Tebhaga Express
- Kolkata-Dibrugarh Superfast Dihing Express
- Kolkata-Nangal Dam Gurumukhi Superfast Express
- Kolkata-Ajmer Weekly via Kota Express
- Kolkata-Agra Cannt Superfast Express
- Kolkata-Ajmer Weekly via Nimach Express
- Kolkata-Lalgola Hazarduari Express
- Kolkata-Jhansi Pratham Swatantrata Sangram Express
- Kolkata-Dhaka Cantt Maitree Express - the only international train between India and Bangladesh
- Kolkata-Azamgarh Weekly Express
- Shalimar - Bhuj Weekly SF Express (Via Tatanagar-Bilaspur-Bhopal)
- Shalimar - Lokmanya Tilak Terminus Mumbai Express (Via Nagpur-Itwari)
- Shalimar - Secunderabad Express (Via Bhubaneswar)
- Shalimar - Trivandrum Central Thiruvananthapuram Express
- Shalimar - Trivandrum Central - Nagercoil Gurudev Superfast Express
- Shalimar - Gorakhpur Bhojpuri Express (Via Tatanagar-Purulia)
- Shalimar - Baripada Express
- Shalimar - Puri Superfast Express
- Shalimar - Visakhapatnam Superfast Express
- Shalimar - UdaipurCity Express
- Shalimar - Bankura Rajya Rani Express
- Shalimar - Bhojudih Aranyak Express
- Shalimar - Patna Duronto Express
- Shalimar - Chennai Superfast Express
Header Image Suggestion
For this page header image I tried to add the following image File:Saltlake Sector V.jpg. I think this is a better representation of Kolkata than the previous Image. The content of previous image of taxis etc. is common in many more Indian cities. So I request to replpace the current image. --Rangan Datta Wiki (talk) 09:22, 10 January 2015 (UTC)
- I find that image uninteresting, and it's already used in one of the district articles, is it not? Pagebanners shouldn't be used on more than one article. Ikan Kekek (talk) 09:31, 10 January 2015 (UTC)
- Even if there wasn't a rule, the image that you are proposing is really uninteresting. It could be an office park somewhere in the United States. --Andrewssi2 (talk) 04:06, 13 January 2015 (UTC)
New Photo for Banner
Dear Ikan Kekek (talk), Andrewssi2 (talk)here is a new suggestion for the the banner photo, please do have a look File:Howrah Bridge, Kolkata.jpg--Rangan Datta Wiki (talk) 16:21, 28 January 2015 (UTC)
- It's a nice banner, but Howrah has no custom banner, so perhaps this should be Howrah's banner. Ikan Kekek (talk) 06:59, 29 January 2015 (UTC)
Dear Ikan Kekek (talk) the Howrah Bridge connects Kolkata with Howrah and its is a major landmark of Kolkata and not of Howrah, so I would suggest, to use it in the Kolkata page rather than Howrah page.--Rangan Datta Wiki (talk) 08:09, 29 January 2015 (UTC)
- How is it not a major landmark of Howrah as well as of Kolkata, given that it connects the two cities? In any case, even if you think that banner is not appropriate for Howrah, the fact is that that article lacks any banner, whereas Kolkata does have a banner, and the creation of a banner for an article that has none takes precedence over the replacement of a banner on an article that has one. Ikan Kekek (talk) 08:44, 29 January 2015 (UTC)
Dear Ikan Kekek (talk)all I want to say is the the the content of current banner image of taxis etc. is common in many more Indian cities and in no way significant to Kolkata. It is the same logic that was given for my previous banner suggestion. We can also use the photo for both the Howrah and Kolkata page. --Rangan Datta Wiki (talk) 17:33, 29 January 2015 (UTC)
- No, we shouldn't use the same banner for two pages. We've discussed that point before, have we not? Ikan Kekek (talk) 17:56, 29 January 2015 (UTC)
- Dear Andrewssi2 (talk) the Wikipedia Kolkata page has the photo of Howrah Bridge in its title image, so I don't understand why it can't be used in the Wikivoyage Kolkata page??? Also Ikan Kekek (talk) I think there is no rule that a photo can be used in banner for two pages, this was discussed earlier. —The preceding comment was added by Rangan Datta Wiki (talk • contribs)
- User:Rangan Datta Wiki, why don't you propose on Wikivoyage talk:Banner expedition to allow the same custom pagebanner to be used on two or more pages? I think you will probably get 0 votes in support and several votes against, but go ahead. I think it's already clear that there's a working consensus against such an action. Consensuses on this site don't all have to be written up as rules, and your arguing a matter of site-wide policy on this thread will produce no results other than "No."
- Now, as for whether your proposed banner can or cannot be used for Kolkata, that's not the issue. As I said before, but you don't seem to be listening, Kolkata already has a pagebanner, Howrah has none, and — well, just reread what I wrote above. Unless you have a new point to make, I think I'm done here, with all due respect. Have a great day. Ikan Kekek (talk) 04:10, 30 January 2015 (UTC)