Old discussions have been moved to the archive
I think it's high time some one split this city up into disrticts. Otherwise it'll be the same old story as it was (no, IS) with Bangalore and Chennai, there'll be 100 See listings, 200 Do's and the article will be stuck in usable status.
Here's my proposal
Well, I was sorta working towards that in the "see" section... the subdivisions I made there were how I was thinking... not too different from what you're doing -
- BBD Bagh
- Salt Lake City - Maybe Kolkata/East is better
p.s... it's probably better to work this out first and wait more than 1 day before creating the articles, in case there's any opposition or suggestions, etc... but thanks for pushing this along! Anyone else care to comment? (WT-en) - Cacahuate 03:39, 7 March 2007 (EST)
- Hey, I've already gone and districtified the stuff because no one was bothering to reply (so I though I'd plunge forward!)
P.S. I'm from Calcutta (I don't live there now but I was born there and still go there twice/thrice a year) and I don't think that Chowringhee would be a good district, it's a street that runs paralled to the Maidan on the Eastern Side. BBD Bagh and Central Calcutta is included in Esplanade (the more generic term) so I think my break-up is quite OK :) (WT-en) Upamanyuwikivoyage • ( Talk ) • ( (WT-en) Travel ) • 07:26, 8 March 2007 (EST) PPS. Hey Cacahuate, please check out Shimla now and gimme some feedback!
I don't know much about Calcutta, so all I can say is, if it is natural, unambiguous and covers the whole of Cal, then we've got the right districtification. — (WT-en) Ravikiran 07:37, 8 March 2007 (EST)
- It is all 3. So then that means you're fine with it ... (WT-en) Upamanyuwikivoyage • ( Talk ) • ( (WT-en) Travel ) • 07:42, 8 March 2007 (EST)
- I know a little bit about Kolkata (though am far from an expert) and the the districtification seems fine to me. (WT-en) WindHorse 11:14, 8 March 2007 (EST)
- No. Howrah is a separate city and is in the Howrah district. The city of Calcutta lies within the N. 24 Parganas, S. 24 Parganas and Calcutta Minicipal districts. Howrah should have a separate article. It's also on the other side of the river, to the west. There's no denying the fact that it is part of the Cal Megapolis, but that stretches till the harbor and as far as Kaharagpur (over 100km w. of Howrah). We can make that a sub-region of West Bengal and Howrah can fall within it. (WT-en) Upamanyuwikivoyage • ( Talk ) • ( (WT-en) Travel ) • 04:35, 9 March 2007 (EST)
So are the Planetarium, Indian Museum and St Paul's in Esplanade or Maidan? I would've thought Maidan, especially since Park St seems to be included in Maidan, and these sights (I think) are inbetween Park St and the park itself (WT-en) - Cacahuate 20:45, 9 March 2007 (EST)
- Yes, sir, you got two out of three, but the Indian Museum is Esplanade as it north of Park Street, near the junction with Sudder Street (if my my memory doesn't fail me). I'll move the other two over to Maidan. (WT-en) WindHorse 10:33, 10 March 2007 (EST)
still needs clarification
Let's finally get this mess cleaned up. I made a (very raw) sketch based on the outlines discussed so far: map-outlines
1. Where are actually city boundaries? So where do the fringes end?
Answer: Depends, Kolkata city endds roughly on the EM bypass to the east, the Hooghly river to the west, DUmDUm to the north and maybe, Tollygunj to the south. Kolkata Metropolitan area, comprises of everything such as Salt Lake City, New Town and Rajarhat, parts of Howrah.
Maidan is exactly not a single place. Parkstreet is a long road linking the Park Circus 7 point crossing to the Maidan and esplanade. Although visitors are more interested to the area near the Maidan/Esplanade.
Where the Park Street meets the Chowranghee Road.
Park Circus is neither in the above. Near to the eastern area of the city, linking the science city, the Eastern Metropolitan Bypass(EM Bypass) and the Salt Lake City.
5. East of Maidan: Where does Maidan's east end? Gopalpur, Rajahat, Garden Reach - Are they Southern fringes?
Maidan Ends with Victoria Memorial building. Rajarhat is East kolkata Township, Garden Reach is the docks at the south fringes.
6. Tangra - where to put it?
Tangra is the East kolkata.
7. Kasba, Haltu - where to put them?
Kasba, Haltu are the southern fringes. Mostly not in the Kolkata Municipality.
8. Is it ok to throw "East Calcutta Township"/... in one pot with Saltlake?
No, Salt Lake City is around for neary 3 decades now, East Calcutta Township is comparatively new.
9. Dum Dum into East Kolkata with Saltlake? Including North Dum Dum and the airport?
DumDum is actually North Calcutta, please dont mix DumDum with DumDum Airport.
10. Where is the Northern boarder of North (and East) districts / the Southern boarder of the Northern fringes?
Northern Border for the Metropolitan Area streches upto maybe Barrackpore(military barracks), Southern extends till Joka (with the IIMs and many resorts).
Okay, I think that's it - too many questions, I know ... and I apologize for that. So just answer some question if you can
to 2. Right now it is in both district articles (although more in Maidan).
to 3. I would leave Eden Garden with Maidan, as it is kind of part of the Maidan sport/park areas.
(WT-en) Sebindi 07:35, 4 April 2010 (EDT)
- I can't be of any help at all I am afraid as I know zilch about Kolkata. I would suggest though that as the districtification has been pending for years now, wait about 14 days for comments, and if none come just plunge forward with your own plan, always updating the intended scheme here. --(WT-en) Burmesedays 12:19, 4 April 2010 (EDT)
Giant airline/busline lists
As a general rule we do not attempt to maintain detailed transport schedules/routes, and we discourage giant lists of things, so I have removed the following from the article. Texugo (talk) 18:38, 18 June 2014 (UTC)
Scheduled Passenger Airlines
- Air India (All India, Kathmandu, Yangon and Dhaka).
- Jet Airways (All India, Bangkok and Dhaka).
- Indigo (All India, Bangkok).
- SpiceJet (All India).
- Emirates (Dubai).
- Qatar Airways (Doha).
- Singapore Airlines, SilkAir (Singapore).
- Dragonair (Hong Kong).
- China Easter Airlines (Kunming).
- Thai Airways (Bangkok).
- Thai AirAsia (Bangkok).
- AirAsia (Kuala Lumpur).
- Druk Air (Paro).
- Biman Bangladesh (Dhaka).
- United Airways (Dhaka).
- GoAir (All India)
Trains originating from Howrah Station are :
AC Duronto Express
- Howrah Mumbai CST Duronto Express
- Howrah-Pune Duronto Express
- Howrah - Yesvantpur Duronto Express
- Howrah Digha Duronto Express
- Howrah - New Delhi Duronto Express
- Howrah - Ranchi Shatabdi Express
- Howrah - New Jalpaiguri Shatabdi Express
- Howrah - Puri Shatabdi Express
Jan Shatabdi Express
- Howrah-Patna Jan Shatabdi Express
- Howrah-Bhubaneswar Jan Shatabdi Express
- Howrah-Barbil Jan Shatabdi Express
- Howrah-Puri Garib Rath Express
Double Decker Express
- Howrah - Dhanbad Double Decker Express
- Howrah - New Delhi Yuva Express
- Howrah-Secunderabad Falaknuma Express
- Poorva Express (via Gaya)
- Poorva Express(via Patna)
- Howrah-Chennai Central Coromandel Express
- Howrah-New Delhi Express
- Howrah Mail via Nagpur
- Howrah-Jammu Tawi Himgiri Express
- Howrah-Mumbai LTT Jnaneshwari Express
- Howrah-Mumbai CST Gitanjali Express
- Howrah-Mumbai CST Weekly Superfast Express
- Howrah-Mumbai LTT Samarsata Express
- Mumbai Mail via Allahabad
- Howrah-Pune Azad Hind Express
- Howrah-Puri Dhauli Express
- Howrah-Tatanagar Steel Express
- Howrah-Titlagarh Ispat Express
- Howrah-Indore Shipra Express
- Howrah-Gandhidham Garbha Express
- Howrah-Sambalpur Express
- Howrah-Asansol Agniveena Express
- Howrah-Dhanbad Coalfield Express
- Howrah-Purulia Express
- Howrah-Purulia Lalmati Express
- Howrah-Jabalpur Shaktipunj Express
- Howrah-Jamalpur Express
- Howrah-Dibrugarh Kamrup Express
- Howrah-Delhi/Rajgir Janta Express
- Samleshwari Express
- Howrah-Hatia Express
- Howrah-Dehradun Doon Express
- Howrah-Puri Sri Jagannath Express
- Howrah-Kathgodam Bagh Express
- Howrah-Malda Town Intercity Express
- Howrah-Ranchi Intercity Express via Asansol.
- Howrah-Ranchi Intercity Express via Tatanagar
- Howrah-Azimganj Kaviguru Express
- Howrah-Bhopal Express
- Howrah-Hyderabad East Coast Express
- Howrah-Bolpur Kaviguru Express
- Howrah-Siuri Hool Express
- Howrah-Dhanbad Black Diamond Express
- Howrah-Azimganj Gandevta Express
- Howrah-Digha Kandari Express
- Howrah-Vasco-da-Gama Amravathi Express
- Howrah-Siuri Intercity Express
Trains originating from Kolkata Station are:
- Kolkata-Patna Garib Rath
- Kolkata - Guwahati Garib Rath Express
- Kolkata-Amritsar Superfast Express
- Kolkata-Bikaner Pratap Superfast Express
- Kolkata-Delhi Lal Quila Express
- Kolkata - Haldibari InterCity Express
- Maithili Express
- Kolkata-Jogbani Express
- Kolkata-Jaynagar Weekly Express
- Kolkata-Sitamarhi Mithilanchal Express
- Kolkata-Radhikapur Express
- Kolkata-Gorakhpur Poorvanchal Express via Muzaffarpur
- Kolkata-Gorakhpur Poorvanchal Express via Ballia
- Kolkata-Gorakhpur Poorvanchal Express via Narkatiaganj
- Kolkata-Jammu Tawi Express
- Kolkata-Muzaffarpur Tirhut Express
- Kolkata-Giridih Link Express
- Kolkata-Berhampore Court Dhanya Dhaanya Express
- Kolkata-Balurghat Tebhaga Express
- Kolkata-Dibrugarh Superfast Dihing Express
- Kolkata-Nangal Dam Gurumukhi Superfast Express
- Kolkata-Ajmer Weekly via Kota Express
- Kolkata-Agra Cannt Superfast Express
- Kolkata-Ajmer Weekly via Nimach Express
- Kolkata-Lalgola Hazarduari Express
- Kolkata-Jhansi Pratham Swatantrata Sangram Express
- Kolkata-Dhaka Cantt Maitree Express - the only international train between India and Bangladesh
- Kolkata-Azamgarh Weekly Express
- Shalimar - Bhuj Weekly SF Express (Via Tatanagar-Bilaspur-Bhopal)
- Shalimar - Lokmanya Tilak Terminus Mumbai Express (Via Nagpur-Itwari)
- Shalimar - Secunderabad Express (Via Bhubaneswar)
- Shalimar - Trivandrum Central Thiruvananthapuram Express
- Shalimar - Trivandrum Central - Nagercoil Gurudev Superfast Express
- Shalimar - Gorakhpur Bhojpuri Express (Via Tatanagar-Purulia)
- Shalimar - Baripada Express
- Shalimar - Puri Superfast Express
- Shalimar - Visakhapatnam Superfast Express
- Shalimar - UdaipurCity Express
- Shalimar - Bankura Rajya Rani Express
- Shalimar - Bhojudih Aranyak Express
- Shalimar - Patna Duronto Express
- Shalimar - Chennai Superfast Express
Header Image Suggestion
For this page header image I tried to add the following image File:Saltlake Sector V.jpg. I think this is a better representation of Kolkata than the previous Image. The content of previous image of taxis etc. is common in many more Indian cities. So I request to replpace the current image. --Rangan Datta Wiki (talk) 09:22, 10 January 2015 (UTC)
- I find that image uninteresting, and it's already used in one of the district articles, is it not? Pagebanners shouldn't be used on more than one article. Ikan Kekek (talk) 09:31, 10 January 2015 (UTC)
- Even if there wasn't a rule, the image that you are proposing is really uninteresting. It could be an office park somewhere in the United States. --Andrewssi2 (talk) 04:06, 13 January 2015 (UTC)
New Photo for Banner
Dear Ikan Kekek (talk), Andrewssi2 (talk)here is a new suggestion for the the banner photo, please do have a look File:Howrah Bridge, Kolkata.jpg--Rangan Datta Wiki (talk) 16:21, 28 January 2015 (UTC)
- It's a nice banner, but Howrah has no custom banner, so perhaps this should be Howrah's banner. Ikan Kekek (talk) 06:59, 29 January 2015 (UTC)
Dear Ikan Kekek (talk) the Howrah Bridge connects Kolkata with Howrah and its is a major landmark of Kolkata and not of Howrah, so I would suggest, to use it in the Kolkata page rather than Howrah page.--Rangan Datta Wiki (talk) 08:09, 29 January 2015 (UTC)
- How is it not a major landmark of Howrah as well as of Kolkata, given that it connects the two cities? In any case, even if you think that banner is not appropriate for Howrah, the fact is that that article lacks any banner, whereas Kolkata does have a banner, and the creation of a banner for an article that has none takes precedence over the replacement of a banner on an article that has one. Ikan Kekek (talk) 08:44, 29 January 2015 (UTC)
Dear Ikan Kekek (talk)all I want to say is the the the content of current banner image of taxis etc. is common in many more Indian cities and in no way significant to Kolkata. It is the same logic that was given for my previous banner suggestion. We can also use the photo for both the Howrah and Kolkata page. --Rangan Datta Wiki (talk) 17:33, 29 January 2015 (UTC)
- No, we shouldn't use the same banner for two pages. We've discussed that point before, have we not? Ikan Kekek (talk) 17:56, 29 January 2015 (UTC)
- Dear Andrewssi2 (talk) the Wikipedia Kolkata page has the photo of Howrah Bridge in its title image, so I don't understand why it can't be used in the Wikivoyage Kolkata page??? Also Ikan Kekek (talk) I think there is no rule that a photo can be used in banner for two pages, this was discussed earlier. —The preceding comment was added by Rangan Datta Wiki (talk • contribs)
- User:Rangan Datta Wiki, why don't you propose on Wikivoyage talk:Banner expedition to allow the same custom pagebanner to be used on two or more pages? I think you will probably get 0 votes in support and several votes against, but go ahead. I think it's already clear that there's a working consensus against such an action. Consensuses on this site don't all have to be written up as rules, and your arguing a matter of site-wide policy on this thread will produce no results other than "No."
- Now, as for whether your proposed banner can or cannot be used for Kolkata, that's not the issue. As I said before, but you don't seem to be listening, Kolkata already has a pagebanner, Howrah has none, and — well, just reread what I wrote above. Unless you have a new point to make, I think I'm done here, with all due respect. Have a great day. Ikan Kekek (talk) 04:10, 30 January 2015 (UTC)
Major changes in Kolkata Wikivoyage page
- Hello Kolkata Wikivoyage Talk page,
I am Anirban Kolkata. I am editing Wikipedia for quite some time now and I was very much shocked to see the wrong information given in Kolkata Wikivoyage page. Thus I am correcting the errors given in South Kolkata section and also want to create a new Central Kolkata section. I am a native of Kolkata and thus the information known to me regarding Kolkata is quite good, if not the best (I don't want to boast about myself:-) )
I had started to do the changes, when Ikan Kekek, another Wikivoyage user told me to inform this page about my changes.
I would hope that I will get support from you guys.
Thanks, stay safe fellow Kolkatans !
- Thanks for starting this thread. Please indicate specifically what new boundaries you are recommending and about how many listings you expect there to be in the new and changed districts. Ikan Kekek (talk) 20:05, 7 April 2021 (UTC)
- Dear Ikan and Kolkata Talk,
- Kolkata should be divided into the following regions (which you are calling District) according to me:
- 1) North Kolkata and North Suburbs
- 2) Central Kolkata
- 3) South Kolkata and South Suburbs
- 4)East Kolkata
- 5) West Kolkata
- Please do not include Howrah as Howrah is a separate place from Kolkata. Howrah is a separate district and region.
Please keep all discussion of your new redistricting proposal in the same thread instead of creating new section headings each time you reply, and please respond to my questions about the specific boundaries between the districts and roughly how many total listings (See, Do, Buy, Eat Drink, Sleep) you expect there to be in the new and changed districts. Thanks. Approval is by consensus and will require more than my agreement. I'm not an expert on Kolkata and would tend to defer to you, but User:Ravikiran r if he's around, User:DaGizza, User:Roovinn and User:Prof tpms are among the Wikivoyagers who might have opinions. I'll also post a link at Requests for comment. Ikan Kekek (talk) 20:58, 7 April 2021 (UTC)
- Dear Administrator Ikan Sir, thanks for everything you have done. It is 2am here in Kolkata right now, so this will be my last post right now, as I will have to go to sleep. I will again talk to you tomorrow. I am answering your questions one by one:
- 1) North Kolkata (from Cossipore till Rajabazar)
- 2) Central Kolkata (from Entally to Chowringhee)
- 3)South Kolkata (from Bhowanipur to Garia)
- I will give the detailed areas tomorrow and also details about the suburbs and east and west Kolkata.
Keep the listings the same. I will definitely like to hear from the other Kolkata experts. Just one thing I will finally inform you which is very important, please dont go by the election data of Kolkata regions. The electoral districts are based on 2002 data which is very old, and it will again change in 2026. This is an Indian govt. procedure which takes place after a long time and thus does not reflect the current data. Generally currently the entire KMC (Kolkata Municipal Area) is considered Kolkata District i.e. proper Kolkata(a fact supported by Wikipedia).
- Great chatting with you Ikan Sir. Will chat again tomorrow. Regards, Anirban Kolkata Anirban Kolkata (talk) 21:18, 7 April 2021 (UTC)
Hello Ikan Sir, some bad news first. Me and my aged Dad have been diagnosed as Corona Positive. Please pray to God for us. We came to know about the test reports just today.
Sir, about my proposal, if my redistricting proposal is approved, then some content will change in the listings. I have one more question, are Wikivoyage and Wikitravel same or different websites ? Anirban Kolkata Anirban Kolkata (talk) 12:35, 8 April 2021 (UTC)
- They are different websites. Have a look at Wikivoyage and Wikitravel for some of the history. I'm so sorry that you and your father have tested positive! I hope neither of you get sick or if you do, you have very light symptoms. Take care of yourselves and concentrate on your health. We'll still be here later if you need to take a break. Ikan Kekek (talk) 20:53, 8 April 2021 (UTC)
Ikan Sir: Ok Sir. I will also try to work with Wikitravel at a later stage. Yes Sir, we are quite fine right now, under medication and home quarantine. Sir, I am a Lawyer in Hon. Calcutta High Court and I also love writing. Yesterday it was my Father's 66th Birthday, so I could not reply. Today it was our voting day in our State (West Bengal State Elections). We had to face lots of harrassment due to our Corona positive status, but ultimately with the help of Election Commission of India and Kolkata Police, we were able to cast our votes (me and my Father). We were given Police Protection when we went to cast our votes. Although we were insulted and mocked at the Polling Booth, we were ultimately able to cast our precious votes, which is our Democratic right as Indian citizens.After returning home, I am typing this reply at night. Sir, I am a Bengali Hindu Brahmin and my Father is a Bengali Sunni Muslim. So it was very important for us to cast our votes, as I belong to a very special inter-religious family. Sir, I was born in Entally, Central Calcutta. My Father also grew up in Park Circus, Central Calcutta. So creating the Central Kolkata page in Wikivoyage Kolkata page was a very special and emotional feeling for me. I grew up and currently live in Santoshpur(Jadavpur), South Kolkata. That is why South Kolkata matters to me also. South Kolkata is the new part of Kolkata while Central Calcutta is the White Town of British colonial period, as many white people lived there in Central Calcutta during British times and it is the most favourite place for foreign tourists. Great images that page can have, like Victoria Memorial, St. James Church, Nakhoda Masjid and the historic Firingi Kalibari, a historic temple of Hindu godess Kali.A place for all religions and communities like Hindu, Muslim and Anglo-Indians, like the entire city. I hope my changes regarding Kolkata page will be approved :-) Anirban Kolkata Anirban Kolkata (talk) 17:49, 10 April 2021 (UTC)
SHB2000:Thankyou very much Sir/Madam. We have very mild symptoms, under medication and home quarantine. I will be able to take the Corona vaccine at a later stage in this year as Govt. of India is not allowing people of our age range (I am 31 years old) to get the free dose of vaccine right now. Only people above 45 years of age with comorbidities and people above 60 years are getting the free doses of Corona vaccine at Govt. hospitals right now. My Father has taken the first dose before he was diagnosed Corona Positive. Lets see whether he can take the second dose. One thing, I should mention,while typing this reply, I am currently wearing a yellow coloured Australia T-Shirt with a Koala Bear impression. Thanks Australia for all the support :-) Anirban Kolkata Anirban Kolkata (talk) 17:49, 10 April 2021 (UTC)
- @Anirban Kolkata: I'm glad you guys are doing well so far, at least, in your state, its good that the government are giving the vaccines to the elderly and healthcare workers first, unlike what my neighbouring state (Queensland) is doing (not giving it to the healthcare and giving it to non-essential workers earlier. And I'm glad your wearing an Aussie t-shirt. Take care, and hope you get recover soon :) SHB2000 (talk) 07:10, 11 April 2021 (UTC)
- I'm glad you two are doing well so far, and I hope it stays that way! No rush on the redistricting proposal. What'll be needed are the proposed boundaries (e.g., which streets would be the dividing lines) and about how many listings there will be in each district. But please take your time. If you detail these things in a week or two, that would be fine. Ikan Kekek (talk) 21:38, 10 April 2021 (UTC)
- Yes, health and family come first. There are others watching this discussion (well, me at least) who are waiting for a specific proposal we can comment on, but waiting is not a problem. As long as they're logical and well-explained, I'll probably support your suggestions.--ThunderingTyphoons! (talk) 23:13, 10 April 2021 (UTC)
@ SHB2000:Thanks for your personal info Sir. Well, I have an old relation with Australia. When I was younger, once I got a boomerang as gift. But unfortunately, I lost it amidst the trees of Park Circus Maidan ( great open field) in Central Calcutta while playing with it. Thanks for your great interest in India. Stay safe Anirban Kolkata Anirban Kolkata (talk) 11:57, 11 April 2021 (UTC)
@ Ikan Sir:Right now, me and Dad are stuck at home and by grace of God, we are comparatively healthy. So I can devote time to this great work. I am giving you the information you asked for:
Street Boundaries: (Data gathered from Google Maps)
1)College Street- Street Boundary between North (Rajabazar) and Central Kolkata (Sealdah) 2)AJC Bose Road (Minto Park)- Street Boundary between Central (Chowringhee) and South Kolkata (Bhowanipore) 3)Ratan Babu Road- Street Boundary between Cossipore (North Kolkata) and Baranagar (starting place of Kolkata North Suburbs) 4) Kamalgazi More (Crossing Point), Eastern Metropolitan Bypass-Street Boundary between Garia (South Kolkata) and Narendrapur (starting place of South Kolkata suburbs) 5) Taratala More- Street Boundary between South Kolkata (New Alipore) and Brace Bridge ( West Kolkata) 6) Chingrighata Crossing, EM Bypass- Street Boundary between Beliaghata (Central Kolkata) and Bidhannagar, Saltlake (East Kolkata) 7) Budge Budge Trunk Road- Street Boundary between Behala and Budge Budge
I am only providing the important street boundaries of the districts. Please refer to the main Kolkata Wikivoyage page to get an idea of all the areas included in the different Kolkata districts. As there is no West Kolkata page, I am mentioning the places in West Kolkata. They are Behala, Barisha, Khidirpur, Mominpur, Garden Reach, Metiabruz, Ekbalpur, Joka, Sarsuna etc. There is no East Kolkata suburbs as East Kolkata is a new part of Kolkata. A west kolkata suburb page can be created. Places in West Kolkata suburb are Budge Budge, Maheshtala, Bata Nagar etc.
Ikan Sir, keep the listings the same, but the content in the listings will change and many new pictures will have to be added. I hope this information helps :-) Anirban Kolkata Anirban Kolkata (talk) 11:57, 11 April 2021 (UTC)
@ Thundering Typhoons !: Hello Sir, thanks for keeping a watch on this discussion regarding the city of Job Charnock. I hope you will like my proposals :-) Anirban Kolkata Anirban Kolkata (talk) 11:57, 11 April 2021 (UTC)
- Thanks, user:Anirban Kolkata. The boundaries seem detailed enough to me.
- I'm not sure you understand the question about listings; if the districts and their boundaries change, then at least some of the listings for attractions, bars, hotels, restaurants etc that are in each of the current district articles will have to move. The result of these moves will help us judge whether your proposal works from the perspective of visitors to Kolkata. For instance, if some districts end up with a great gang of listings, and others with very few, it's an indication that the proposed division doesn't work in the context of a travel guide. But if the listings are fairly well-distributed (as they are currently), then that's a good sign that the proposed division will work.
- May I trouble you for one other thing? When using talk pages, try to copy the formatting that other Wikivoyagers are using. If you press the space bar a bunch of times at the start of your paragraph, your text shows as unrendered wikicode (as above), which is hard for some of us to read. If you want to put an indent in your paragraph, type a colon (or a series of colons for a bigger indent). Typically, however, we indent one level to the right of the previous person's comment--ThunderingTyphoons! (talk) 16:07, 11 April 2021 (UTC)
@Thundering Typhoons!:I have corrected the indent of my earlier posts.Hope you can read them now. Sir, keep the listings of North Kolkata as they are. Listings will have to be created for the new districts which are yet to be created or whose pages are unfinished. Some listings from South Suburb will move to proper South Kolkata. Hope this helps :-) Anirban Kolkata Anirban Kolkata (talk) 20:37, 11 April 2021 (UTC)
- Please, no need to call me "sir", I'm younger than you :-) I will decide what I think about this tomorrow because currently a little confused (but possibly just tired). All the best, ThunderingTyphoons! (talk) 21:01, 11 April 2021 (UTC)
@ Thundering Typhoons!: Ok Mr Typhoons :-) I hope you can read the content of my proposals clearly. If you can't , I can mail it to you if you want. I don't want technical issues to hamper the work. I am new at Wikivoyage, so I may do some technical errors regarding posting, but I hope my proposal content will defeat my technical faults. Me tired as well, right now going to sleep, its late night here. But one thing, I got an alert that you reverted my edit, can you please tell me what is grey blobbing wikitext? Anirban Kolkata Anirban Kolkata (talk) 21:11, 11 April 2021 (UTC)
- @Anirban Kolkata: Also you also don't need to call me sir, I'm also a fairly new user (joined Late January) and I was born in the early 21st century. We're very informal here in Australia (i.e. the words sir, ma'am and good morning/evening are not in our vocab) SHB2000 (talk) 22:04, 11 April 2021 (UTC)
- People don't normally call me "Sir", either. We're more informal than that in New York. :-) Anirban Kolkata, we're seeking an estimate of how many listings in total there will be in each district article in your proposed division of the city. We won't hold you to it, but we want at least a general sense of it. Ikan Kekek (talk) 22:37, 11 April 2021 (UTC)
@SHB2000:Ok :-) Anirban KolkataAnirban Kolkata (talk) 16:54, 12 April 2021 (UTC) @Ikan:Ok, keep the number of listings the same in each district Anirban Kolkata Anirban Kolkata (talk) 16:52, 12 April 2021 (UTC)
I think for the traveler it is better for the time being to restore the original contents of the article. Right now travelers find only an emty article where there used to be two articles that contain a lot of information. This should be the situation until the Kolkata/Central Kolkata article is finished. --FredTC (talk) 19:28, 14 April 2021 (UTC)
- @FredTC, Ikan Kekek, Anirban Kolkata, ThunderingTyphoons!, Ground Zero: Okay so one month on, and no shit has happened to the Kolkata/Central Kolkata article, still remains as a terrible outline. Looking at the edit history, I did not realise that I'm the one who's added the most to the article. I can add the listings but looking at Google Maps of India is confusing. Are we going to leave it as it is, or is someone going to expand the article? SHB2000 (talk | contribs | en.wikipedia) 08:05, 11 May 2021 (UTC)
- Agree there, have been thinking about him for the last two weeks, and it's why Australia banned its own citizens from returning. Don't know how that's against human rights, as, 1. they should have come back last March (2020) and 2., if they left after, why did they leave - even though the feds had the travel ban. I'll try and go to Wikiproject:India and see. Even with this; I can never be grateful for living in a covid free country. SHB2000 (talk | contribs | en.wikipedia) 08:20, 11 May 2021 (UTC)
- I have started to improve it, although that's where you see that big greenery on google maps. Usually get disoriented when seeing maps with lots of streets on them (e.g. Boston, NYC, Kolkata) so I do have to somehow add stuff without having that. SHB2000 (talk | contribs | en.wikipedia) 11:54, 11 May 2021 (UTC)
- The proposal is to have Kolkata/Central Kolkata in place of Kolkata/Maidan and Kolkata/Esplanade. This can be done by merging both articles into the new one, and maybe adding some new discoveries. Is there a chance that by doing so Central Kolkata will become so big that we want to split it? In that case we would end up with the old situation of having Maidan and Esplanade articles again. --FredTC (talk) 08:05, 12 May 2021 (UTC)
- Hello all my friends from around the world, yes! me and my Dad are alive :-) We have got our Doctor Corona Fit Certificate few days back. Special thanks to Ikan Sir for realising my family's and country's situation. We Indians are crying tears of blood all the time right now. Sorry, I could not continue the work as my modem got out-of-order during quarantine period. I have got a new router and am back. Lets start the Kolkata District project once again and please pray for my country :-( Anirban Kolkata Anirban Kolkata (talk) 18:49, 19 May 2021 (UTC)
- Welcome back. I'm so relieved to hear that you and your dad are well, and that you've recovered. While I have never been in a lockdown longer than 14 days, my cousin's neighbours got Covid last August (lives in Victoria), where it was an apocalypse (or not really, 700 cases a day). It was unusual to implement a lockdown in all suburbs surrounding his except his. He still tells me stories of Covid 2.0, but as far as I can tell, I pray for your country, and all your fellow Kolkatans who've been diagnosed with Covid.
- Additionally, if you want, I might translate some of this content into the Nauruan Wikipedia. There's not much content that is non-Australian or Russian, as the only two editors expertise in this areas.
- And while you were gone, I did add some content in the park in Central Kolkata. Could you please verify that these information is correct.
- This is a general message I am giving to everybody who is involved in this discussion. A super cyclonic storm "Yaas" is coming towards Kolkata and West Bengal. It is scheduled to hit either West Bengal or Orissa (Odisha) coast on 26th May,2021. Indian Met Department is predicting it will be powerful enough to have winds more than 200 kms/hr. I have experience of a similar storm "Amphan" last year which affected Calcutta, and we had no electricity for 2-3 days. So if "Yaas" hits Calcutta on 26th May, I may not be able to access internet for few days. Anirban Kolkata Anirban Kolkata (talk) 18:32, 20 May 2021 (UTC)
- @ FredTC Thanks Fred Sir. Learned that you are a Dutch National. My Dad has worked 30 years in the pharma industry, and he started his career in Organon (India) Pvt. Ltd., a Dutch company headquartered in Oss. Stay safe Sir . Anirban Kolkata Anirban Kolkata (talk) 18:32, 20 May 2021 (UTC)
- @ Ikan Thanks Ikan. Yes I know USA has suffered a lot like India. The total deaths in USA due to Covid-19 is 5.87 lakhs as of today, whereas that in India is 2.87 lakhs. In my own state in West Bengal, daily numbers of people becoming Corona positive is near about 20,000 and number of people dying daily is near about 150. Some international media is suggesting that these official figures in India are way underestimated, and the real figures are much more!The 2nd wave of Corona has totally shattered my country. The initial worst hit states were Maharashtra and Delhi. The main crisis was Oxygen shortage and misuse of Remdesivir. Many people died on the streets in Delhi, the capital city. One of the other shocking things which happened was that people were throwing away the bodies of Corona deceased into rivers in states like Uttar Pradesh (where the legendary Hindu holy city of Varanasi is located) and Bihar.These bodies came floating into my state through the Ganges river in districts like Malda and Murshidabad. My state is suffering mainly due to the 8-phase 1 month long State elections which started from 27th March,2021 and finished on 2nd May,2021 with the results being declared. Oxygen cylinders are the main crisis. CNN has covered the situation in India quite well. My dad has taken 2 doses of Covaxin (totally Indian made vaccine) and I am yet to take the 1st dose. We were waiting to take the Pfizer vaccine, but it is yet to reach India. Right now we have 3 vaccines in our National vaccination programme, COVAXIN, COVISHIELD AND SPUTNIK V. USA has done a great job in vaccination, and I hope you are also living a mask-free life, enjoying Starbucks Coffee :-) Anirban Kolkata Anirban Kolkata (talk) 18:32, 20 May 2021 (UTC)
@SHB2000 Hi Aussie pal, How are you? First of all, I want to ask you a question. Australian media has reported that Corona/Covid-19 is an invention of Chinese military scientists in a lab. Is this correct? Regarding the Kolkata District, you have written that you have added some content in park (I think you mean Maidan, the lungs of Calcutta). Where have you added it? I will happily verify it as Maidan is perhaps my favorite part of the city, where I used to go for evening strolls often before Corona hit. What more help do you need from me regarding this project? Stay Safe! Anirban Kolkata Anirban Kolkata (talk) 18:32, 20 May 2021 (UTC)
- Hi Anirban, I'm good. Thanks for asking. To be honest, about the invention in a lab, I still find it hard to believe, if not rumours. Why would a military want to release a virus and affect its own country. I'm pretty sure, this speculation came from a book released in the 90s, which just so happened to be set in Wuhan. Can't remember the name though. For the Central Kolkata district, I wanted to you to just check the names, as Google Maps does have a lot of factual errors, especially with the "eat" section. Stay safe from the storm though. Hope it's not too severe as the four cyclones I've been through. All but one were a category 3 or a 4. SHB2000 (talk | contribs | en.wikipedia) 11:06, 21 May 2021 (UTC)
- COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. were pretty clearly underreported, too, but I digress. Stay safe from the storm! Ikan Kekek (talk) 03:29, 21 May 2021 (UTC)
- Thanks Ikan and SHB2000. SHB, I had a look in the Central Kolkata page, a page created by me :-) and am delighted to see that many people have contributed to the page including you. Right now I will only work in the Eat section. Flurry's, a heritage Swiss confectionary shop in the heritage Park Street area was added by me. The other two names are ok, I have Googled them. I will today add some more famous restaurants in that area. Anirban Kolkata Anirban Kolkata (talk) 11:17, 22 May 2021 (UTC)
- Hi SHB, going through lots of Crisis as a citizen of West Bengal state right now:-( First there is Corona and Lockdown, then there is a very bad political crisis going on between the Central government and my State Govt., and now this Cyclone. Kolkata was relatively less affected by "Yaas", the Cyclone, the name of the storm given by Oman, but the 3 coastal districts of East Midnapore, South 24 Parganas and North 24 Parganas have been severely affected. Most unfortunately, the famous sea-side resort town of Digha in the East Midnapore (Purba Medinipur in Bengali) has been totally destroyed. Digha, called "Brighton of the East" in the letters of Warren Hastings, is a place where I have visited atleast 8 times during my childhood days with my parents. So, I felt like crying after seeing the condition of Digha after the Cyclone. Coming back to Central Kolkata page, by pagebanner, I think you mean the big photo on the top of the page. It is quite good, a reminder of the British Raj. You can also use a photo of the Maidan. There are many great photos of Maidan available online. And I learnt yesterday from international media that Australia is imposing a circuit-breaker lockdown , I think in Victoria. So, stay safe Anirban Kolkata Anirban Kolkata (talk) 10:35, 29 May 2021 (UTC)
- I'm so sorry to hear that your state has been significantly affected. I hope things get better in the future, and stay safe! And to the Victorian lockdown, yes, it was put after an 18 second hotel quarantine breach in South Australia. It's not affecting me in any way, but it is certainly not good. However, if you do find any photos, link it, and I'll see if I can crop it. Take care, SHB2000 (talk | contribs | en.wikipedia) 10:43, 29 May 2021 (UTC)
98.3% of this article is copyright violation as you can see it on the Earwig's Copyvio detector, should we rewrite it, or shall we just start fresh and add the new districts in here. SHB2000 (talk) 00:51, 12 April 2021 (UTC)
- Or they copied this article. Is there a way you can tell which is which? Ikan Kekek (talk) 04:32, 12 April 2021 (UTC)
- Absolute certainty this is us being copied, not the other way around. Those ultra-high percentages usually mean mirrors, and here you can tell just from reading the comparisons given by Earwig that those sources are just doing text dumps from us. Vaticidalprophet (talk) 04:38, 12 April 2021 (UTC)
- I see we have another traveloca.org situation here. SHB2000 (talk) 04:41, 12 April 2021 (UTC)
- Not necessarily. Traveloca is a dedicated mirroring-without-attribution. It's common for the text of Wikimedia projects generally to end up mirrored places, to a degree that doesn't rise in terms of severity to Traveloca. (It's also common for mirrors that do attribute to exist -- see w:Wikipedia:Mirrors and forks.) Vaticidalprophet (talk) 04:43, 12 April 2021 (UTC)
- I see we have another traveloca.org situation here. SHB2000 (talk) 04:41, 12 April 2021 (UTC)
- Absolute certainty this is us being copied, not the other way around. Those ultra-high percentages usually mean mirrors, and here you can tell just from reading the comparisons given by Earwig that those sources are just doing text dumps from us. Vaticidalprophet (talk) 04:38, 12 April 2021 (UTC)
- @Anirban Kolkata:, the thing is, the website that had similar stuff here was probably copied from wikivoyage. Domain names look suspicious to me. Plus as a fun fact, there's a site called traveloca.org which has basically copied off Wikivoyage in its entirety. Even this discussion appears on their website. SHB2000 (talk) 13:03, 14 April 2021 (UTC)
- I cannot be certain about Calcutta, so I looked at their article on Shanghai which I know better. They have definitely copied a lot of text from here; I recognised things I had written. It looks as though they are not updating often; they have things that have been changed here including a "western suburbs" district grouping that we eliminated in 2013. See Talk:Shanghai#District_changes?. They are also doing a fair bit of reformatting & reorganisation, but most of the text is ours. Pashley (talk) 10:15, 22 May 2021 (UTC)
Back to the old district situation?
Kolkata/Central Kolkata was created as a replacement for Kolkata/Esplanade and Kolkata/Maidan. However, the creation has not resulted in a well filled article, containing the info of both original articles and more info added to that. I think that if we would merge the info of both old articles into the new one and also add more info to it, we could easily get a situation of the article becoming too big and we would split the article, resulting in "back to the old district situation".
- Oh I forgot about this discussion. If Anirban Kolkata is still around..., but otherwise, I'd support your proposal. SHB2000 (talk | contribs | meta.wikimedia) 11:10, 25 August 2021 (UTC)