The large urbanised industrial area to the north of the city extends up to Naihati and Barasat and includes such places as Kashipur, Dumdum, Baranagar, Dakshineswar, Belghoria, Nimta, Birati, Khardah, Panihati, Titagarh, Barrackpore and Madhyamgram. The once flourishing manufacturing belt, still has some units working well but the industrial area as a whole is no more in the pink of health and is often in the news for the wrong reasons.
The main line of the Eastern Bengal Railway, that once served to link Kolkata with the eastern part of Bengal (now Bangladesh), ran through this area. The area has a mixed population - high percentage of Hindi-speaking people from Bihar and Uttar Pradesh and refugees from East Pakistan (now Bangladesh), generally outnumbering the local population.
It is part of Kolkata urban agglomeration and is split into numerous municipalities spread across North 24 Parganas district.
The main line links Sealdah and Ranaghat. A branch line links Dum Dum to Bangaon, near the India-Bangladesh border. The Calcutta Chord line links Dum Dum to Dankuni on the Howrah-Bardhaman Chord line. The main stations in the region are:
- 1 Agarpara railway station.
- Barasat railway station (It is marked on the map).
- 2 Bamangachhi railway station.
- 3 Barrackpore railway station.
- Belghoria railway station (It is marked on the map).
- 4 Birati railway station.
- 5 Bisharpara-Kodalia railway station.
- 6 Dum Dum Cantonment railway station.
- 7 Dum Dum railway station.
- 8 Durganagar railway station.
- 9 Hridaypur railway station.
- Ichhapore railway station (It is marked on the map).
- 10 Jaggadal railway station.
- 11 Kakinara railway station.
- 12 Khardah railway station.
- 13 Madhyamgarm railway station.
- 14 Naihati railway station.
- 15 New Barrackpur railway station.
- Palta railway station (It is marked on the map). barrackpore &palta & ultadanga railway station & road map
- 16 Shyamnagar railway station.
- Sodepur railway station (It is marked on the map).
- Titagarh railway station (It is marked on the map).
- 17 Baranagar Road railway station, Baranagar.
- 18 Noapara metro station, Baranagar.
The two main roads leading into the area from Kolkata are Barrackpore Trunk Road and Jessore Road (NH 34). Jessore Road is linked with the junction point of NH 2 and NH 6 at Dankuni via Belghoria Expressway across Nivedita Setu. Direct roads link Barrackpore with Barasat and Sodepur with Madhyamgram. Kalyani Expressway is another important link in the area.
Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport is in this area but it attracts hardly any passengers from this area. All the industry offices are in Kolkata.
There are a set of parallel bridges across the Hooghly River - Vivekananda Setu and Nivedita Setu - between Dakshineswar and Bally. Between Naihati and Bandel, there only is a railway bridge. There are numerous ferry points (locally known as ghats) connecting the two banks of the Hooghly River.
- 1 Khadi Pratisthan, Sodepur. Founded in 1925 by Satish Chandra Dasgupta, a close associate of Mahatma Gandhi.
- 2 Rishi Bankim Chandra's residence and museum, Naihati.
- 1 Barasat Stadium (Watch football matches). Capacity:22,000
- 1 Big Bazar Supermarket, Nazrul Islam Avenue, Baguiati.
- Big Bazar Supermarket, College More, M.B. Road, Birati.
- Pistol (From Cossipore Gun & Shell Factory).
- 2 Saha Textile (Departmental Store), Haritala, Barasat.
- 3 Sriniketan Fashions Pvt. Ltd., Station Road, Sodepur, ☎ , , .
- 1 Haldiram's (Vegetarian restaurant), P420, Kazi Nazrul Islam Sarani, Kaikhali, ☎ , .
- 2 Sher-e-Punjab, Jessore Road, Sukanta Nagar, ☎ . 11 am to 12 midnight. Quality Punjabi dhaba food. Chinese & Thai dishes also available. AC or open-air seating. Drinks served.
- 1 Hotel Airways, Motilal Colony, Rajbari (Near Airport No. 2 Gate), ☎ .
- 2 Hotel Gateway Continental, Crossing of Kazi Nazrul Islam Sarani and Jessore Road (Near Airport No. 1 Gate), ☎ .
- 3 Hotel Shivangan, Kazi Nazrul Islam Sarani (Jora Mandir, Baguiati), ☎ . ₹1,900-₹2,800.
- 4 O2 Hotel, Kazi Nazrul Islam Sarani, Kaikhali, ☎ , .
- 5 Rose Valley Hotel, RGM 25/3010, Kazi Nazrul Islam Sarani, Raghunathpur, Baguiati, ☎ .
- 6 Annapurna Hotel, Taki Road, ☎ .
- 7 Hotel Windsor, Rishi Bankim Chandra Road, ☎ .
- 8 Palash Hotel, 125 Jessore Road (Near Barasat Hospital), ☎ .
- For places to sleep in Barrackpore see Barrackpore
For the past several years Barasat has, from time to time, been in the news for crime in general and against women in particular. The victims have generally been local people and life has gone on. However, those traveling to Barasat may keep a note of the emergency police number:100.