|This article was the Collaboration of the month for June 2018.|
Should this use the Wikivoyage:Huge city article template and have districts? If so, what should the districts be?
Some existing articles like Mandaue and Olango Island could fairly easily be turned into districts. Beyond that, I'm not sure. Maybe a two-layer structure as used for New York City, so Cebu City & Lapu Lapu would be districts for the main article, then have subdistricts? Pashley (talk) 13:15, 6 July 2015 (UTC)
- Thinking more, I think it is better to leave this as a region article. At some point Cebu City might need districts, but not yet. Pashley (talk) 15:45, 28 July 2015 (UTC)
There needs to be some shuffling of text. Currently both Cebu City and Lapu Lapu article have long sections on the airport. Cebu City lists consulates that are in Mandue & sights that are in Lapu Lapu. Lapu Lapu lists the Talima Resort on Olango Island. etc.
- I moved the consulates. I also put all airport info into Lapu Lapu article & links elsewhere, but the resulting mess needs editing.
- There are still lots of other problems, e.g. Mandaue#Understand has no info that is specific to Mandaue; I don't know if existing text should just be deleted or moved somewhere. Pashley (talk) 23:52, 20 August 2015 (UTC)
- I finally got around to cleaning up the airport part, but it could probably be further improved & there are lots of other problems left. Pashley (talk) 15:18, 22 February 2016 (UTC)
- I've done a bit more & others have done some too, but this group of articles still need work. Pashley (talk) 14:05, 13 November 2017 (UTC)
International trips by sea
Cebu airport has many international flights, and Cebu_(city)#By_boat says "Cebu City's domestic port is the country's busiest, and is home to almost 80 percent of the country's passenger vessels." Does the port have international voyages?
If so, are any of them risky? e.g. it looks as though a direct route Cebu-Bali would pass through the Sulu Islands, historically pirate territory and considered high risk today; I'm not sure if for banditry, militant Islamicists or both. Pashley (talk) 15:41, 30 August 2015 (UTC)
I'd like to promote this to guide, but since I'm almost the only editor so far, I'm reluctant to do that myself. Other opinions?
If it were guide, it might be a good DotM nominee. However, while I've fixed most of the problems I described at #Reorganise? above, I'm not at all confident I got them all. Also, I think many of the articles it links to at Metro_Cebu#Cities are not very good. Any volunteers to fix those? Pashley (talk) 02:29, 25 August 2017 (UTC)
- I did not mention it above but Cebu Province also has problems; See and Do list sites in the city that I do not think belong at province level. Pashley (talk) 17:16, 16 September 2017 (UTC)
- Two of the three main cities, Cebu City & Lapu-Lapu, are at Usable & the third, Mandaue, at Outline. I'd say all three could be promoted a notch. Other opinions?
- Most of the lesser suburban towns are Outline & far from promotable. Any volunteers to fix that? Pashley (talk) 03:27, 21 January 2018 (UTC)
In reference to the possible DotM feature, I think this article is good but I feel that it needs more information between Metro_Cebu#See and Metro Cebu#Stay safe. Selfie City (talk) 22:58, 6 June 2018 (UTC)
- Sorry Pashley, this one slipped through my fingers when you first posted to my talk page about it (thanks for the reminder). I'd echo Selfie City's comments about the dearth of information here: yes, most of the listings and real detail should be found in the bottom-level articles underneath it, but that doesn't mean the sections of this article need to be quite so brief. Also, I'd move the listings of consulates to the bottom-level articles and reduce Metro Cebu#Consulates to simply "Most consulates are in Cebu City, but there are also several in Mandaue." -- AndreCarrotflower (talk) 13:09, 7 June 2018 (UTC)
There are other towns that might be added here, at least w:Naga, Cebu (>100,000) & w:Compostela, Cebu (~50,000). I have not done so, partly because I have nothing to say about them & partly because they'd need disambig pages created as well. Pashley (talk) 23:37, 4 October 2017 (UTC)
- Meanwhile, some that I had created as stubs (Talisay & Consolacion (Cebu)) have been turned into redirects. This is OK for now, but they are big enough (T 230k, C 130k) that ideally they'd get articles at some point. Pashley (talk) 18:00, 26 May 2018 (UTC)
- For a full list of the towns in question see w:Metro_Cebu#Cities_and_municipalities. Pashley (talk) 20:06, 26 May 2018 (UTC)
Order in Metro_Cebu#Cities
This section has a bit about the three main cities, then some about the other cities which are not central but are part of the administrative entity of Metro Cebu. The second part has three subsections:
- East of Cebu City, on other islands:
- North of Cebu City, on Cebu Island:
- South of Cebu City, on Cebu Island:
When I created those sections I had the order as North, South, East, putting the ones on Cebu Island first. I still think that is a more readable order, but do not want to restore it without discussion. Can whoever changed it explain his or her reasoning? What do others think? Pashley (talk)
- The three main cities ends with location on Mactan Island, so the first of the second part starts with the other location on Mactan Island. Somehow the numbering looks better in the mapframe. --Traveler100 (talk) 21:08, 5 June 2018 (UTC)
- I've now put it in a South/North/East order, different from both those discussed above, & added text mentioning that Talisay is the 4th largest city in the region. What do others think? Pashley (talk) 18:40, 12 June 2018 (UTC)
Second and third opinion request
- Talk:Mandaue#removed listings - lack of information so removed from article. If anyone has more details, please add back.
- Talk:Danao City#Mount Manghilaw - I think I found it but would like confirmation as different names used.
- I agree with your listing removal, not sure about the mountain. Pashley (talk) 18:42, 12 June 2018 (UTC)
Include or not
Should there be see or do listings for cockfighting arenas? Some people would find it interesting and part of the local culture other a practice that should not be encouraged and not mentioned. --Traveler100 (talk) 05:49, 15 June 2018 (UTC)
- Pawnshops are not usually of great interest to travellers, though they are fairly often used to send money to a girlfriend, scammer, landlord or whatever. I see far more Filipinos using them to send or receive funds than for pawning or buying things & I think we should mention that.
- To my surprise, I find no mention of pawnshops in Philippines. Add something there & link to it here? We've done that for other nationwide things like jeepney or traysikel.
- Pawnshops are now mentioned at Philippines#Funds_transfer. I do not see any mention of cockfighting. 18:18, 8 August 2019 (UTC)
Articles still at outline
I think the Metro Cebu article itself is at Guide quality but promoting it requires all the cities under it be at Usable. Thanks to a lot of people working on this as CotM, most now are. On a quick check, it looks like the remaining exceptions are Minglanilla & Compostela (Cebu). Would anyone care to improve those? Or check current ratings to see if all are correct? Pashley (talk) 00:13, 17 June 2018 (UTC)
- Almost there. Minglanilla and Consolacion (Cebu) are still at outline.
- Technically to the letter of the guidelines they could be made useable as is, but I personally like to have at least two Eat and two Sleep before making usable.
- Consolacion (Cebu) could do with another Sleep as what is there is really a Do listing. I have done some internet searching but have not found anything appropriate. Would be good to have someone else look at this. A See entry would but good but not strictly necessary.
- Minglanilla another Eat and another Sleep listing would help. Another See or a Do with be good, as would a Buy, but not a must.
- I have found a couple of possibles but they have not looked anything special or I have failed to find only one reference to them so not able to confirm the information. --Traveler100 (talk) 06:35, 17 June 2018 (UTC)
- Also Cebu (city) still has listings without coordinates. --Traveler100 (talk) 06:45, 17 June 2018 (UTC)
- I won't change the status myself since until this CotM started I was almost the only author & I'd rather someone more objective made those calls. 19:49, 17 June 2018 (UTC)
- A little more information on what sights can be see in the region would be good and a little overview text next to each city would be useful.
- Also Cebu (city) still has listings without coordinates.--Traveler100 (talk) 11:10, 23 June 2018 (UTC)
- Looking at the model of the bridge on WP and considering what a giant it will be, this bridge definitely needs to get more than a mention in the article, as long as we don't say, "it'll be completed in three years" or some statement that doesn't clearly date the bridge's completion. Great that you found out about this bridge, thanks. Selfie City (talk) 21:07, 24 June 2018 (UTC)
Well done, all
This article was Collaboration of the month for June 2018 & great progress was made. The main goals — bringing the main article up to Guide status which required bringing all its children to Usable — were reached. Congratulations to all participants!
- Nomination: Wikivoyage:Destination_of_the_month_candidates#Metro_Cebu Pashley (talk) 15:16, 19 July 2018 (UTC)