Formatting and language conventions
For articles about the Philippines, please use the 12-hour clock to show times, e.g. 9AM-noon and 6PM-midnight.
Please show prices in this format: ₱100, and not 100 pesos, or PHP100.
Please use American spelling.
Other destinations has 10 entries violating the 7+2 rule, I've never been to the country and do not which should be removed so can someone else remove one. Tai123.123 (talk) 22:54, 3 October 2021 (UTC)
- I think @Pashley: has a lot of experience with the Philippines, and so does @TagaSanPedroAko:. I've also never been here, so I also can't really comment. SHB2000 (talk | contribs | meta.wikimedia) 22:59, 3 October 2021 (UTC)
- I agree the list should be trimmed. Certainly Boracay, El Nido, Puerto Galera & Panglao Island should stay; those are some of the country's major resort areas. Not sure about the rest.
- To me, linking to Tagatay here seems like a mistake; it is a city so should not be under "Other destinations" & it is not even an important city. A direct link to Taal Volcano, which is a major tourist attraction & usually reached via Tagatay, would make sense, though. Pashley (talk) 05:15, 4 October 2021 (UTC)
- If I had to choose, I'd remove Batangas. I'm living there & it is an interesting province, but so are lots of others. Also, it is hardly a single destination & the interesting places within it can be mentioned elsewhere. Pashley (talk) 05:30, 4 October 2021 (UTC)
- I added Taal Volcano under Philippines#Landscapes so perhaps it could be deleted here, though I'd be inclined to keep it. Pashley (talk) 06:17, 4 October 2021 (UTC)
A Commons file used on this page or its Wikidata item has been nominated for deletion
The following Wikimedia Commons file used on this page or its Wikidata item has been nominated for deletion:
- Used at the Wikidata page, no FoP. Seems to be a clear case that doesn't affect us. –LPfi (talk) 10:56, 15 November 2022 (UTC)
We currently have this text:
- With the possible exception of Manila, it is fairly common for Filipinos to add the "City" suffix to the city name, but Wikivoyage rather avoids that practice as unnecessarily redundant, except when disambiguation is necessary. Cities sharing a name with a province (including former ones) are generally named in Wikivoyage as [city name] (city) (e.g. Cebu City is Cebu (city)), especially when the predominant local usage is generally the simple but ambiguous name.
I disagree. I just moved Cebu (city) to Cebu City. My rationale is at Talk:Cebu_City#Article_name. I'd move Iloilo (city) & Batangas (city) as well; there are likely more but none leap to mind just now. I see we have Quezon City, which I think is correct. In general, I'd use the "X City" form wherever there is a city/province ambiguity. As far as I can tell, locals invariably use either that or just the bare name.
For Zamboanga (city), the ambiguity is more complex; Zamboanga Peninsula has three provinces, all with "Zamboanga" in their names. I'd like to move the city article to Z City, but am less certain here.
On the other hand, we have articles like Bais City which use that form when I cannot see any need for it since there is no ambiguity; I'd move it to just Bais.
- I think that text dates back to the time when the article about New York City was "New York (city)." We need no other standard than whatever name is most commonly used in English, as per Wikivoyage:Naming conventions. Ikan Kekek (talk) 04:19, 24 November 2022 (UTC)
- "As far as I can tell, locals invariably use either that [X City] or just the bare name." I think that in cases where "X" is the name of a province and "X City" is commonly used, we could use "X City" even when "X" is more common, to avoid the "(city)" disambiguation suffix. Only when the for "X City" is uncommon to the point of confusing locals, I think we need to resort to formal disambiguation. This is analogue to New York, where we use "New York City" even though "New York" is the more common name. –LPfi (talk) 11:36, 24 November 2022 (UTC)
- Support renaming all that you think are appropriate per Wikivoyage:Naming conventions and the policy to use the most common name. --SHB2000 (talk | contribs | meta) 08:36, 25 November 2022 (UTC)
- I renamed Bais & fixed all the links pointing to the old name, though I left it in place as a redirect.
- Renamed Batangas City & Iloilo City, did partial link fixes. Other fixes do not seem urgent. Pashley (talk) 04:41, 26 November 2022 (UTC)
- For Zamboanga, I asked at Talk:Zamboanga_(city)#Article_name. Pashley (talk) 04:46, 26 November 2022 (UTC)