Talk:American Civil War
We now have a quote at the top of many a page I'd suggest the following : "war is hell - William Tecumseh Sherman, high ranking Union (North) general". I would implement it myself, but I don't know how and want to avoid any type of controversy, seeing as the prior quote was removed... Hobbitschuster (talk) 21:28, 26 May 2015 (UTC)
- That's a good one, and I think it will be uncontroversial. Ikan Kekek (talk) 03:10, 27 May 2015 (UTC)
- I'll add that I misread the attribution for the quote I reverted - it was by someone from the Rebel side, not the Union side. I apologize to User:Yvwv for reverting it, and giving an inapplicable reason for so doing. Nevertheless, I think "War is hell" is a better quote. Ikan Kekek (talk) 03:12, 27 May 2015 (UTC)
The most destructive single conflict on the Western Hemisphere?
If we take the common definition of "Western Hemisphere" (i.e. everything between Tierra del Fuego and Alaska), I have a problem with the statement made in this edit as the War of the triple alliance arguably had a similar death toll and much more destructive effect on the losing side. And this also ignores the wars before the 19th century that while mere skirmishes by themselves were a contributing factor in the death of millions of Native Americans (the actual numbers and causes of which are very much open to debate and outside the scope of a travel guide). The Civil War has a particular place in US history even today and it is notable for its particular nastiness, but it is not as singular as this wording might make it sound. Even in American history that has rarely seen large scale war in the last two hundred years - even though some countries were torn apart by civil strive of some sort... Hobbitschuster (talk) 15:20, 22 February 2016 (UTC)
- For reference use only - For you Civil War enthusiasts! I have created maps and listings for 90%+ of the American Civil War Battles, Indian War Battles during that period, Naval engagements as well as Parks (memorials). These were created from Wikipedia Civil War tables, Wikidata and Wikivoyage sources. In some cases I used an experimental Module to create them (but code can be changed to markers or listings). These are experimental pages and may be removed at a later date. They may be of some use in finding interesting locations for various articles in Wikivoyage. -- Pages are to be found under User:Matroc/CW???? they cover 1861-1862,1863,1864,1865 and Parks. CW1865 includes Indian Battles in West, Naval Engagements and Prisoner of War Camp locations.
American Civil War Battles
- Swept in from the pub
- The following pages are available for reference should anyone be interested in the American Civil War. These pages were created (using a different set of experimental templates and Modules) as reference material only should you wish to look at them. The information was garnered from Wikipedia, Wikidata and Wikivoyage as sources. There may be sites/locations that you might want to investigate/select for any individual US state articles or just to puruse to see the enormity of that period in American History. You may have to convert these into some standard format should you wish to use any of these references; the information is there and should be easy enough to do. All of these are links and appear on dynamic maps in each section. Wikipedia links are also provided... About 98% have Wikidata ID's used to garner lat/long information. These Wikidata IDs were collected by another mini Module to search to see if a Wikipedia article existed by name in order to obtain the Wikidata ID. The remainder were researched and had lat/long information added manually. Text for each listing was basically found in tables/articles on Wikipedia and should be revamped/modified somewhat. Again, the sources are from Wikipedia, Wikidata and Wikivoyage.
- Civil War 1861-62 — CW Battles 1861 (40+) - CW Battles 1862 (90+)
- Civil War 1863 — CW Battles 1863 (110+)
- Civil War 1864 — CW Battles 1864 (120+)
- Civil War 1865 — CW Battles - 1865 (36+), CW Indian War Battles (11), CW Naval Encounters (50) and Civil War POW Camps (26).
- Civil War Parks and Memorials — CW Parks/Memorials - 42 listed
- Enjoy -- Matroc (talk) 06:47, 5 October 2018 (UTC)