Travel topics > Cultural attractions > Fiction tourism > Science-fiction and fantasy tourism
Science-fiction and fantasy tourists are interested in locations that appear in science-fiction and/or fantasy film and literature. Many of these locations have businesses catering to science-fiction and/or fantasy tourists, particularly those associated with the UFO phenomenon, while others are of intrinsic interest only for the die-hard fan.
- Astrid Lindgren tourism (primarily Sweden)
- Game of Thrones tourism (primarily United Kingdom)
- Harry Potter tourism (primarily United Kingdom)
- Lord of the Rings tourism (primarily New Zealand)
- X-Files tourism (primarily United States of America)
Science-fiction and fantasy theme parks
Notable locations depicted in science fiction and fantasy
- Matmata — Scenes of the desert planet Tatooine in a number of Star Wars films were filmed here. Also see the nearby town of Tataouine, where a little filming was also done.
- Alnwick Castle in Alnwick, England is the filming location of Hogwarts Castle (fictionally located near Dufftown, Scotland) in the Harry Potter films.
- Cardiff, Wales — The Doctor Who Experience at Cardiff Bay.
- Portmeirion, Wales was "The Village" in the 1960's The Prisoner. It was also a stand-in for 15th century Italy in Doctor Who: The Masque Of Mandragora.
- Colorado Springs, Colorado — The Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station was the location of the Terran stargate! The stargate is located underneath the former North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) headquarters.
- Devils Tower National Monument, Wyoming — Made famous in Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind as a site of first contact, transmitted psychically to abduction victims.